Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anal Discomfort - Stress Related??

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
For the last couple of months I've been having an itching, throbbing crawling sensation just inside my anus (I think, though it might go further in than that - difficult to judge!). It's not the type of itch that gives me a desire to scratch it because it feels internal, rather than on the surface of the skin. It's much worse when I've been sitting down for a period of time and can go away almost completely if I'm stood up or walking around for a little while. It doesn't keep me awake at night because once I'm lying down, it gradually eases off (though it takes a while) and it's not there immediately when I wake up in the morning.

I've tried various creams - lanacane, 2 different steroid/antifungal & bacterial creams (one strong and one less strong - both prescribed by a doctor) and it has sometimes gone away for a period or a week or two before returning. During the last week there has been two days on which I've had serveral loose bowel movements - not sure if co-incidence or connected to the itch/throb.

I'm often prone to stress related ailments (I've had palpitations/heart flutters and tight/lumpy throat in the past) but haven't been suffering with these recently, though admittedly my life has been busy and I've been a bit run down (2 colds in 2 weeks!). However, I spent the first 2 or 3 weeks ignoring this and putting it down to stress and at the moment it's worse than ever. The first Dr I saw said it wasn't haemorraoids, though he didn't put much time or effort into speaking/seeing me to be honest so not sure.

Can anyone help? Has anyone got any ideas of what this could be or suffering with anything similar? Could I be allergic to something I'm eating? Or is it probably down to stress? It's driving me crazy and really starting to get me down... Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
All I can tell you right now is that I have never heard of this being stress related. But, that does not mean it could not be.
I will say this much though, please avoid putting any type of creams on that area unless a doctor recommends it. That are is what we call mucus membrain area and is very sensitive to creams. Could make it worse. OMG! Especially anti-fugal preperations. Very caustic and should not be used on mucus membrain areas unless perscribed by a doctor. Plus fluidy bowl movements are very acidic and can cause inflamation of the rectum. That could be a possiblity what is going on.

Carrie

Thougts?
Your other symtoms can well be related to anxiety and stress.
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Go to the doctor!!! Just because anxiety can cause physical symptoms doesn't mean that you should ignore them. Always see your doctor if a new symptoms comes up and you are concerned.
|

replied November 21st, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I've already been to the doctor twice and been given creams that didn't seem to make any difference. I've stopped using them now and am fairly convinced it's related to stress and it comes and goes - I've just been on holiday and didn't have a single twinge while I was relaxing. I'm back at work now and although I'm still aware of it, it's not too bad at the moment. I'm trying my best to stay chilled and will go back to the doctors if I don't see any improvement in the next few weeks.

Thanks again Smile
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Oh good.

Well then, keep relaxing!!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Awesome deal. Let's hope it stays that way. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Carrie
|

replied November 28th, 2007
Thanks again guys. Things have been much better recently - it's still coming and going ocasionally but is less severe. The holiday was lovely thanks - very cold in Prague though!
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Maybe it's a sign that you need to work in some regular relaxation time!
|

replied December 3rd, 2007
You're probably right. I used to do Yoga but I'm working further away from home now so I'd struggle to get to the classes. Also studying part time so my free time is also taken up. Looking forward to a break over Xmas!
|

replied September 26th, 2016
Frontdoor I know it has been years since you last posted your anal itching problem but I am having the exact problem. It is so similar it scared me reading your symptoms. Is there any possibility I could speak with you as soon as possible? I could even set up a conference bridge if you were not comfortable giving me your phone number.
I have gone now to a proctologist, dermatologist and gastro. They prescribed the exact same stuff and nothing is working except the Epsom salt bath and that is only temporary.
|

replied September 30th, 2016
me too
Ive been experiencing the exact same symptoms since Feb 2016 which worsens during times of stress. I feel it right now which is why Ive been googling it. Really feel it after a flight, with the additional pressure. I also have slight bleeding, always bright red so my gastro said it was ok and probably internal hemorrhoids. He did not do a colonscopy, but I had one 10 years ago at 30 when I had my first internal hemorrhoid experience. He gave me proctosol steroid cream which stops the bleeding but not the other symptoms. I dont know why I feel it is a slow onset of cancer, but I wish it would go away. I feel like my gastro doesnt think it is a big deal, and that im paranoid.
|