Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Contractions Or Stomach Cramps?

User Profile
Ok so all yesterday I kept having menstrual like cramps on and off all day. Then around 1am when I was trying to fall a sleep I kept getting what I think were contractions. I'm not really sure if they were or not.

I noticed my entire stomach would get really hard for about a minute and then it would slowly release. I tried to time them but some would seem to be back to back and then the wouldn't be another for at least 5 minutes. And they were painful to the point that my fiance had to make me breath through them. Sad

But what I was wondering is that they finally stopped around 2...or at least subsided to the point that I dosed off. Then like 2 hours later I got up because I felt sick, and ended up having diahhrea. Embarassed I'm not sure if that was anyway related to the 'contractions' I was having or a mix of both.

I just know they hurt! Sad Anyone have any idea?
BTW I'm 38w5d.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It's probably braxton hicks. Have you had any yet? I started getting them around 28 weeks and I wanted to slap someone if they even looked at me it was so uncomfortable. I know that diarrhea can come before labor. It may be soon. You're full term, so watch out!!!
|

Especially eHealthy
amy it may be contractions!

did it hurt in your lower back too? if so then it probably was contractions
anyways you should call your dr just to see what they think
ive been haveing diarea too and thats not fun.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Yea my lower back would hurt with them, and I tried moving around in bed but it still hurt and I tried drinking water too. I've never had them last for so long...I've been getting like 1-2 a day and that would be it. But they were never painful till last night.

If they happen again I'll call. If not I'll tell my doctor about it when I see her tomorrow morning.
|

Especially eHealthy
good luck amy!your getting close! i think hes almost here!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Sound like contractions to me.... Braxton Hicks didn't bother me so much but the real contractions felt like bad menstrual cramping. Diarrhea is common with labor.
Good luck!!!!
Yay! Baby will be coming soon Very Happy
|

Especially eHealthy
yeah ive had Bh and they dont hurt as bad as real contractions do
when they hurt so bad that you cant talk or move...thats a real contraction lol
|

User Profile
Supporter
hellz yeah. They hurt too. At first they aren't so bad but they get worse and worse.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Sounds to me like contractions too. Your REALLY close. I would just wait it out until your visit. Unless it gets worse, or you go into labor Smile Good luck!
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
It sounds like it could be the real thing or just really painful BHs and your body practicing for labor. I've been told the rule of thumb on going to the hospital is contractions getting closer together & stronger at 5 min. intervals for an hour (that was according to my childbirth class). Hopefully, soon, you'll go into labor!
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...