Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Second Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Still Losing Weight in Second Trimester w/o an Appetite

User Profile
I am in my second trimester, 15 weeks to be exact, and I am continuing to lose weight. I still don't have much of an appetite, but I do eat. I am not sure what is going on. The last time I saw my Dr., I was in my 1st trimester, and she was concerned that I was losing weight , but insured me that it was normal for some women to lost weight in the 1st trimester. She said that I should be gaining about 1-2 lbs a week in my 2nd. And I am not gaining any weight, I just keep losing. I am just worried now that maybe my baby isn't getting enough nutrients or is going to be underweight. I also am taking my prenatal vitamins religously. Can anyone help!?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 1st, 2008
Experienced User
You should be okay
You should be more worried about your own health then the baby's. The baby gets nutrients forst and the remainder of it goes to you. I had/have the same problem and it worries me just as much I'm sure as it does you. IN fact, what I'm saying now probably won't even be muchof a reassurance. I am 23 weeks along now and have manages to gain about 3 pounds finally. My sister had the same problem and went down to 99 lbs before she stared to gain weight back. I didn't get my appitite back until about 18 weeks. I eat a lot of food now, whenever I feel even slightly hungry and still haven't gained too much weight. According to the ultrasound, the baby is about a week bigger than the proposed due date and doing fine. She has a lot of energy and moves a lot (and has the cutest nose I've ever seen.) She probably burns off all the calories from all that movement and is taking up most of what I eat. Also I walk around a lot since I don't own a car. (less lately becasue my legs hurt after standing for more than a few minutes)

If the baby wasn't getting enough nutrients, you'd probably feel hungrt more often. Just make sure you drink a lot of water and stay hydrated. Eat crackers. Carry small bags of snacks with you and eat slowly throughout the day.
|

replied March 18th, 2012
I'm in my 16th week and still losing weight. I've never been so low! Although I'm no longer throwing up everything I eat, I don't have much desire to eat. Nothing sounds good. I'm down to a diet of Lipton Noodle soup and PB&J.
I wish I could weight like this when I'm not pregnant.
My midwife isn't super worried about it. She says as long as I'm taking my prenatal vitamin I'll be okay.
|

replied April 25th, 2016
Losing weight
Losing weight is not to hard in general.
It is a simple equation Calorie intake < Calorie burn => Weight loss.
Just eat healthy and exercise at least three times a week.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...