Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Hysterectomy And Sex - penetration anatomically impossible

I underwent a full hysterectomy at age 35. I have rarely had sex since because it is so painful. I talked to my gynecologist after the hysterectomy and he told me to use lubricant. I did, but that didn't solve the problem. I feel that anatomically, it is impossible for penetration to occur. although I have been told otherwise. Attempts at penetration have all been unsuccessful. It has been years and consequently I now just avoid sex. Is there an answer? Is it in my head? I feel like a freak.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Georgia59
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Oh that's terrible! I would go back to the doctor (or go to a different one) and demand answers. It sounds like there might have been an issue in healing.

It's definitely likely that you aren't getting lubricant anymore, but if using lube isn't helping the pain, there is something else wrong.
|

replied November 30th, 2007
I have same problem. Lubrication is not an issue, it's extremely painful for intercourse. After my husband is about 2" inside, I feel like screaming! I hold back from him going further in. I don't understand either. Had total hysterectomy in Nov. of 2004. I also avoid sex at all costs because it hurts.
|

replied December 3rd, 2007
Are you taking estrogen? If you had a total hysterectomy you need estrogen! I had my hysterectomy 20 years ago at age 31 and had to take premarin plus an estrogen cream inserted in my vagina. KY, etc does not work, you need estrogen.
I had the same problem when I first had the surgery, now I have scar tissue and my doctor says I need reconstruction of the vagina but said there are complications with the surgery so I have not done that. I avoid sex because of the pain but hopefully your problem can be cured with estrogen Smile
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Ouch!
And I thought I was the only one with this problem! I too have extreme pain once my husband penetrates approximately 2-3 inches.....a definite show stopper! I have seen ump-teen doctors, a recent hysterectomy, and I''m going to need a psychiatrist next if I can''t find out what the problem is. I hate that others are experiencing this, but it is nice to know that I am not the only one! Does estrogen really help?
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2010
Hysterectomy & a sexless marriage
I had a total, complete hysterectomy in August of 2007, and I too, experience the same problem. I have tried lubricants, and have even found that I am still able to produce my own lubricants at really heated times; but I just cannot stand the way it feels during insertion. It is painful, and extremely uncomfortable. I have only attempted sex a handful of times since my surgery. I simply do not like it anymore. I have no "true" desire for it. I know that it is not "all in my head", as I also know it is due to the pain and being uncomfortable. I do not get a thing out of it anymore. I will be 45 next month, and practically live a celibate life. I have tried to explain to my husband how I feel, and I must admit he has been very patient and understanding. I have even went so far as offered him a divorce, because it is not fair to him, and he has said no, he does not want a divorce. I cannot help but wonder in the back of my mind how long it will be before he wonders away to some stray... Part of me wants to end the marriage before something of that nature takes place, and another part of me wants to wait it out and see what happens. I don't know. I feel lonelier in my marriage than I ever did when I was single. How can this be???
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2010
Oh how scarry! I'm getting ready to undergo a complete hysterectomy for multiple reasons. I love orgasiming complete with female ejaculation. A Dr. told me that the vagina is shortened by about two inches as a side affect. How ironic that is the same distance ladies are complaining about.
|

replied April 5th, 2013
sexless life post hysterectomy
I feel for everyone. I regret my hysterectomy in November 2011 more than anything. I feel violated and butchered from it. I kept my left ovary to try and avoid menopause but I just have pain from it everyday. I only got married 8 weeks before my op and now i cry daily as our marriage is over as far as Im concerned. My husband loves me and wont leave me but we have no sex life, im in too much discomfort all the time and lived in a similar situation previously for different reasons and its too stressful to be in it again. I wish I could turn back the clock and not have my operation. My gynae wants me to have further surgery to remove the ovary but I know how ill my mom was with HRT after her op and don't want even further problems. From morning until night I spend my days stressed about needing to "try" to have sex but I just cant. The thought of it terrifies and repulses me now in all honesty Sad
|

replied April 17th, 2013
Ladies i feel you!!!!! I am 33 however i had a partial 1 3/4 yr ago and regret it . Aside from the nuerous pribems ive had sex is the doozy. I avoid it. Lubes still left me raw, orgasm leads to cramping (doc says its cuz i have scar tissue and endo - which is another way of saying " you are screwed" no pun intended)
When i dont cramp it just dies like its just not satisfying. However i am still hoping it will get better wuth time. for now there are other things that you can do for your honey. At first i was resentfful of this but its almost a relief to know i wont be in pain and it creates a sort of peace. And i can still feel somewhat adequate and intamate without the pain. All im saying is dont beat yourself up find something else you are comfortable with. If you dont have cramps like me there might be hope with out penetration.
|

replied August 9th, 2013
Hysterectomy regret!
I too had a hysterectomy: the doctor says he had to cut my stomach after the fibroid was to big to see around it therefor a laparoscopic surgery was out of the question, liar. So he cut me and removed my cervix too. Why the hell he removed it ? He says it would prevent cancer I told him cervix comes with the body, idiot. Any way I cant feel penetration of the finger or penis until it gets all the way in then there a raw feeling with dull pain. Which if you have a boring orgasm before your party, its an even more horrible and annoying feeling. So clitoris orgasm is not sharp and vaginal orgasm hurts which makes sex worthless. I don't feel like a woman and I hate men period...would go gay but not attracted to women, so I'm screwed.
|

replied August 10th, 2013
Active User, very eHealthy
Removal of healthy uterus and ovaries
I'm sorry for all you ladies who are suffering! Hysterectomy destroyed my sex life too. At least I can say I don't have pain but I have absolutely no libido and almost no sensation. And the weak clitoral O's that are "hit or miss" are a disappointment compared to the uterine O's I had when I was intact.

Something's got to give with this gross overuse of female organ removal. Once we're under anesthesia, these surgeons can do what they want with our bodies. All my gynecologist should have removed was an ovarian cyst but instead he removed all my sex organs. If I was a man, I would have been awarded millions of dollars!
|

replied August 12th, 2013
Suppose you work with dilators to stretch tissues apart from sex?
Maybe using a vibrator at the same time would boost sensation
|

replied January 16th, 2019
Sharp feeling
My husband says he feels something like a sharp bone when having sex which is preventing him from going all the way in. What is that, "sharp bone feeling"
|
Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....