Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

CK level increased ... do I have Muscular Dystrophy ?

User Profile
I decided to lose some weight and got back in the gym. A routine physical caught my CK level at 18900 and then 11000 four days later. My doctor told me he thought I had muscular dystrophy. I was checked out for muscular dystrophy, lyme disease, and Epstein-Bar and all came back negative. One month later (no treatments) my CK level is 97. My doctor(s) seem to be at a loss for reason for high CK levels.

At any given moment now, I'm feeling like I just chugged a pot of coffee. I feel jumpy, I feel like I need to stretch and move my muscles, go to bed and wake up 45-60 minutes later wide awake, and feel a little tingly in my wrists and forearms. I have some small involuntary twitches from time to time, but not in any real pain.

What the heck is going on?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Anxiety and Stress Answer A3441
Creatine kinase (CK) is an enzyme present in the muscular cells. When there is muscle damage present somewhere in the body, the levels of CK increase. Depending upon the laboratory method, referent values of the enzyme CK in the serum are usually between the range of 32-267 IU/L. You didn’t tell me which are the referent values in your case but I suppose that value 92 is in normal range. You can consult an internist about this to follow up with a diagnosis.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.