Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

An 18 Year Old Insomniac?

User Profile
i'm not 100% sure if i'm developing insomnia or not, but i've looked into a bit and find that i have some of the symptoms that others have. On Sunday night (November 11th), I had trouble getting to sleep. I finally got to sleep around 4 AM thinking that i was just stressed over a couple of things. Monday i was awake until 5 AM and awoke at 9:47 AM that morning. Tuesday night was 4 AM and Wednesday was 3 AM.

When i got only 4 hours of sleep on Monday, i wasnt tired throughout the day. Normally i'll just be barely making it and feel the urge to sleep around 11 at night. When i go to bed, i usually watch tv until i feel my eyes get heavy and try to sleep. Then i lay there and think why am i not falling asleep while also getting these warm feelings in my limbs. Never anywhere else. I have a ceiling fan turned up and a fan pointed directly on me to no prevail.

I've tried cutting out caffeine for the past 2 days, and taking a hot bath and shower before retiring for the night...or at least trying to. I want to catch this quickly before it becomes worse. Any information would be nice as i just want to return to my normal sleeping habit of dozing off at 1 or 2 AM.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Sometimes insomnia can be caused by the problem itself. That is, a person worries so much about falling asleep that can't get to sleep. The more one worries about falling asleep, the harder it is to do.
Have you experienced upsetting incident recently?
Have you been depressed or anxious?
Are you stressing too much?
Do you have emotional or physical discomfort?
Are you waking up in the night and having trouble going back to sleep?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2007
Well the only two things right now that i would be anxious about are the driving test i have tomorrow, as i failed the first time i took it. Secondly, im waiting for a reply back from a local college as to whether i got in or not.

Another website suggested writing all my worries down and find solutions for them. But i really dont lay there and just think about them. My eyes and brain dont feel tired at all and i can function throughout the day perfectly fine with only 4-5 hours of sleep. Hopefully once i get those 2 main issues out of my way that i will return back to normal, but i have a feeling that its going to persist.

While laying in bed, I dont feel any physical discomfort except for the warm tingly feelings in my legs and sometimes my arms. I dont know what causes that since my room isnt hot or anything. And i rarely wake up in the middle of the night so there is no problem there...yet.

Maybe im just stressing too much, but it seems like it has just come out nowhere and turned into a battle at night.
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Are you experiencing the pins and needles effect in your legs while trying to fall asleep?
Do you feel irresistible urge to move your legs while at that moment?
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2007
I recently havent felt the pins and needles effect until last night when i started thinking about falling asleep. I wanted to be in bed around 1 AM which is normal for me, and i did get to that but with the help of Vicky Nyquil. Idk if it can become addicting or not, but it usually helps me get to sleep quickly. Anyway, before i took it i had those feelings every once and awhile.

Im beginning to think its just a mental game. One of my worries that i had has been resolved and the other is just a matter of waiting. Then again im not thinking about it all day or anything and its not truly bothering me either.
|

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't think is a good idea to take any kind of meds to fall asleep.
Like every meds you can become a dependent of it, if not physically, but mentally for sure. You'll start to relay on taking it just to fall asleep (going to bed will be association for taking med and this will result in a mental game)
If you stop the Nyquil, you will start sleeping better in a few days. It will take your body some time to get used to not having it, but you will eventually sleep better.
At your age is normal not to feel sleepy till late night hours, so, go to sleep when you are sleepy.
Stop worrying about falling asleep (you're getting the warm sensations in your limbs because you're getting anxious about falling asleep)
Try to avoid sleeping in front of TV and make your bedroom primarily a place for sleeping.
Incorporate bedtime rituals like listening to soft music, having a cup of herbal tea and relax for a while before going to bed(meditation, relaxation, warm bath)
Don’t eat a large, heavy meal before bed.
|