Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Blood Presure And Alcohol Abuse .....

how long does it take your blood presure to go down from alcohol abuse ?? i.e stop drinking
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
What are the highest blood pressure readings you had?
Do you have blood pressure problems due to chronic alcoholisms or you just had an excessive intake?
|

replied November 16th, 2007
well excessive intake for the past 5 months ... cant remember my blood pressure as it was the first time i have it taken. It was something lik 160over 120/110 but i really can not remember. By the way im 19. its just i went to the doc on wed and they were really suprised with how high it was and im going again today and they are going to take it again. They said they iwll have to take blood samples and all kinds if it was that high again which i really do not want ! Thanks for replying
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
In general terms, people with a systolic blood pressure consistently above 160mmHg and/or a diastolic pressure over 100mmHg need treatment to lower their blood pressure.
High alcohol intake can cause and seriously aggravate hypertension and increase the risk of complications (uncontrolled high blood pressure increases the risk of problems such as stroke, aneurysm, heart failure, heart attack, eye and kidney damage).

Do you have severe headaches?
Do you feel fatigue?
Do you have blurred vision?
|

replied November 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
MandMs wrote:
In general terms, people with a systolic blood pressure consistently above 160mmHg and/or a diastolic pressure over 100mmHg need treatment to lower their blood pressure.
High alcohol intake can cause and seriously aggravate hypertension and increase the risk of complications (uncontrolled high blood pressure increases the risk of problems such as stroke, aneurysm, heart failure, heart attack, eye and kidney damage).

Do you have severe headaches?
Do you feel fatigue?
Do you have blurred vision?

Everything "MandMs" said is true. Hypertenstion can lead to some life long misery. I say with a BP that high, you need to stop drinking ASAP. I have hyepertension and am on a beta blocker but I do not drink.

Carrie
|

replied December 7th, 2007
Thank you very much for your information, that kind of hit home hard. I would supose these presure lowering drugs you have to take have side effects ? No Headaches but i put that down to high water intake, no fatigue. But scarly every now and then i do have blured spots in my right eye but rubing it gets ride of it.

Could you tell me more for why this happens ?

Anymore information on the sideeffects of high blood presure
|

I would also like to add i used to smoke weed everyday for about 2 years stopping totally about 6 months ago (when i started drinking), i mention this because having just read a few things about high presure smoking is another thing that courses high presure so i may have had high presure for longer than i actually thought. How long can you have high blood presure before it stays high after the person stops all courses of high presure e.g. drinking, smoking etc. Would this be down to the the cells changing in the arteries lining?
|

p.s. thank you very much for your information i find it of a great help and has made me think about my life style ... maybe time to change my young stupid ways while im young and have the will power.
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome anytime!

I'm glad you are thinking of your health and that you are aware of harmfulness of drinking and smoking.
You are young and I guess you'll need only good lifestyle to fight the hypertension.
Symptoms of hypertension may be mild and vague (non-specific) and also, many people are unaware they have hypertension until it is accidentally found at a doctor visit or they develop complications of hypertension.
Headache, especially morning one, ringing sensation in one or both ears, dizziness, confusion are all symptoms of high blood pressure.
Have you experienced graying-out of your vision, especially when rising from a lying or sitting position, or transient flickering as if rapidly toggling a light switch?
|
Must Read
When does drinking cross the line and become a serious problem? Learn what makes alcoholism different than alcohol abuse and what drinking to excess means....
What maked it more likely that you will drink more than someone else? Learn what puts you at risk of becoming a problem drinker and why people abuse alcohol....
Alcohol effects people differently...but you can identify common signs and symptoms of alcohol problems. Info here on the many signs of alcohol use and abuse....