Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Food for bipolar treatment ?

I went to Borders the other day to try to find a book on Bipolar, and there were too many to make a choice. Does anyone have any thoughts on food, maybe I can cook ( which I dont but can learn ) different things to help..I heard somewhere fish oil is good?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The high-dose, concentrated omega-3 fatty acids have effective mood stabilizing and antidepressant effects for many people with bipolar disorder. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential components of brain cell membranes, including those of neurotransmitter receptors.
Magnesium is interesting in bipolar disorder because of its chemical similarity to lithium (lithium being the drug most commonly used as a mood stabiliser) and
some studies were done where magnesium was added to other treatments to stop symptoms of mania or rapid cycling.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...