Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

Should I Be Tested for Celiac Disease?

User Profile
My dad was diagnosed with Celiac disease a few months ago. The doctor said his kids should all be tested. I'm not sure I'd want to know if I had it, especially since I don't have any symptoms. What do you think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Absolutely. Ignorance is not bliss in this case. Symptoms or not, untreated celiac disease can predispose you to a number of serious health conditions. Plus, there are far, far worse things than being a celiac!
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Sure - get tested! The celiac diet is one that anyone can adapt! And I agree with silly, that knowledge is power.
|

replied November 23rd, 2007
Test For Celiac Disease
I've read celiac disease itself is an auto-immune disease (the body attacking itself). Also, numerous auto-immune, cancer, rheumatologic, neurologic and other serious diseases are complications of celiac disease and may present themselves before noticing you're having gluten-related digestive problems. Celiac disease imitates other conditions, and it can take an average of 11 years to diagnose -- by then, you may very well have the lifelong complications of having other diseases.

In my family, it certainly would have been nice to know sooner of our gluten sensitivity so we could have prevented the complications, which can involve lifelong diseases and conditions.

Now for the good news!
There seems to be tremendous hope (i.e. nothing to fear) for those with celiac disease who are detected early and adhere to a gluten-free diet. Even for those not detected early, there's a lot of favorable reports that it takes 2 years for healing. Gluten intolerance is so common now, too. A decade ago, it was 1 in 4000, but now it's 1 in 133. Perhaps we're better at diagnosing it, but the increased numbers probably relate to what goes into our food processing these days.

So, it's common enough that you should get checked out, particularly when an immediate family member also has it. If the diet change is all you fear about getting tested, gluten-free products are becoming much more prevalent. It's a growing money-making industry, which means more and more grocery store and restaurant options for us in the near future. Smile
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2007
It would certainly be a good idea, though you may not notice any symptoms, some cant be seen untill much damange has been done, such as organ damage, so its better to be safe than sorry.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....