Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

How Long Until Improvement Shows

User Profile
I have a good friend who has just put her 9 year old son on medication (not sure which one). How long does it take until the teachers are able to notice an improvement in his concentration and focusing? Just curious.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
It is immediate. Depending on the medication he is on, it is in his system within 20 minutes.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
If he was put on Strattera, it could take up to three weeks. If he was placed on a stimulant, then it should be within about 20 minutes. There is a possibility he is on too low of a dose. I would encourage your friend to have the teacher(s) fill out daily progress reports and/or rating scales. Did she fill out a behavior rating scale prior to the medication?
|

Experienced User
My son was placed on strattera and zyprexa (now risperdal) for ADHD and a mood disorder (now dx as bipolar)..we had some immediate results and some have taken a while to achieve. also, what I think happens in some cases is that children with these sorts of disorders take a bit longer to learn the social and communications skills that their peers learn through regular daily interactions..what i noticed with my son is that once he was medicated, he had a better time concentrating on learning all he needed to, but was still rather immature for his age in all areas.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
anttm04 wrote:
My son was placed on strattera and zyprexa (now risperdal) for ADHD and a mood disorder (now dx as bipolar)..we had some immediate results and some have taken a while to achieve. also, what I think happens in some cases is that children with these sorts of disorders take a bit longer to learn the social and communications skills that their peers learn through regular daily interactions..what i noticed with my son is that once he was medicated, he had a better time concentrating on learning all he needed to, but was still rather immature for his age in all areas.

Well said!!

The medication does help the children concentrate on learning the skills they need to learn. That is the reason why it's so important that some kind of social skills/behavior modification is taking place in addition to meds. If the child is on an IEP, I would definitely recommend including organization and social skills in the IEP if it is an area of need. Some kids do need direct instruction in those areas.
|

replied January 9th, 2008
I was on meds in my early 20s and they took inbetween 1 and 15 days. I stopped taking them because I have already learned to adjust my behaviors of ADD with practice and time. That is just my personal experience. Ive tried Strattera and something else...I didnt like either one.
|
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...