I am a 25 year old mother of a 21 month old son. He was born at 27 weeks and weighed 3 lbs, 1oz. He was very healthy but too small so he stayed in the hospital for 6 weeks. I am a type 2 diabetic (I take pills and insulin) and I found out that I have 3 herniated discs not long after my son's birth. Well, my question is my husband and I want to have another baby but we are not sure if it is a good idea. My doctor told us that we may have another preemie which I am willing to handle since I know I will take care of myself very good. Please let me know what you think of my situation and if it is a good idea or not considering my health problems. Thank you. Confused Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Was there are a cause for your sons premature birth? I gave birth to my last child at nearly 22 weeks. She did not survive. However, I am currently TTC another as my doctor said there is no indication of it happening again.
|

I was never given an answer to why my son was born early so I can't answer your question. All I was told that it can happen again but they will monitor me closely to make sure that doesnt happen.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I don't think anyone here can really tell you what to do. This is solely yours and your husbands decision. Good luck.
|

caligrl1982 wrote:
I was never given an answer to why my son was born early so I can't answer your question. All I was told that it can happen again but they will monitor me closely to make sure that doesnt happen.

If you don't know the reason for having a preemie, there's no reason to believe it would happen again. Saying that it "might" happen again is true for every woman. I would say that if you and your husband want another child, go ahead.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know if this will be much help but I think that you have to do what you feel is right in your heart. I strongly believe in "womens intuition" so if its telling you to have another child then go for it.

Good luck!!!!!
|

User Profile
Supporter
My brother's girlfriend just had her second baby this past June and she is diabetic also. She takes insulin shots and her pregnancy was very hard on her. After her first child was born she went into a diabetic coma for months. Her last baby was born with holes in her heart, hearing loss, and a deformity of her ear. She is fine now though. She was born at 28 weeks (I believe) and stayed in the hospital for a few weeks.

I think it will be a struggle but it's definitely worth it. They wouldn't call babies miracles if it were easy.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...