Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Pure Protein Bars and Zero Sugar Foods for Hypoglycemia

User Profile
Hi There!

I have been experimenting with different types of Protein bars to eat between meals every now & then, and for emergencies.

So far, "Pure Protein" bars seem to be the best. They have Zero Sugar & more than 32gs of Protein. A few bars by South Beach diet and "think thin" brand have similar stats.

Has anyone experimented with these, or, can anyone tell me for certain this is a horrible idea? I usually feel good after eating them--

best,

-Dave
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2007
Community Volunteer
You will probably not feel so good after awhile. What else is in them? Sugar is not the only problem, many people have to be very careful with what kind of grains they eat and such.
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Do they have artificial sweeteners in them at all? Or replacement sweeteners? malitol? any fructose, glucose, maltose, dextrose? aspartame, nutrisweet, splenda....?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2007
Here's a breakdown of the "pure protein" bars:

Protein blend (whey protein, milk protein)
12 grams of sugar alcohol (which I believe is absorbed slower into blood)

you can buy them at whole foods & other pretty healthy stores. I'll take one along with me whenever I leave for awhile-- any thoughts?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2007
Community Volunteer
So that's all that's in it? I've heard sugar alcohols are okay, for the most part, but eating large amounts of it is not, but I forget why. Makes you poop I think.
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2007
hahahahaha

awesome, that was really funny. I am pooping at regular intervals, so I think these protein bars are working for me! thanks!!
|