I *just* realized my last day of work with Sylvia (The lady I take care of in the afternoons) will land on Thanksgiving, which is also her birthday this year. I feel like poo now. Should I have today mark my 2 week countdown to my last day, or should I stay one extra day?

I was told by our boss that Sylvia is very fond of me, and I'm her favorite...so it's going to be hard on her to begin with, but I didn't even realize my last night would end up on Thanksgiving Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I would personally stay one or two extra days if you can. Do you have any plans with her on her birthday. I would really spoil her. Is she DD or an older lady you assist?
|

Extremely eHealthy
She's an older lady I assist. I do m-thu 5:30-9:30, so hmm
Maybe I can go in Friday to visit her and bring my daughter. She loves Adriana. She's got her pictures on her fridge where she can see them.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Would you be able to visit her again after you leave?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah. I am pretty sure I can without going against company policies, like I won't go work for her privately or anything.
Maybe I'll make a cake or something for her that day, or I'll visit Friday and bring something for her.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i had a few jobs like that before and it was always hard to leave. I have SEVERE guilt because I most likely was a large part of these peoples lives but my life got so busy I just lost touch with them. That is probably one of the areas I feel most guilty with my life.
|

Especially eHealthy
i would try and stay an extra day if you can

geez thats tough though Sad
|

Especially eHealthy
i wouldnt worry about it! It'll make her Thanksgiving more special! Plan something fun that night.. maybe give her a picture frame with pics of u and Adrianna in it that she can look at when u arent there.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well, her family is having Thanksgiving at her daughter's house...which is in the same town, so I will be limited as to what I can do.
I originally wanted Thanksgiving off, because DH and I work opposite shifts and we wanted to have a family Thanksgiving. I'm thinking of just going to visit her Friday after work (unless I have that day off, I'll go in the AM) and bringing her a baked good. She loves homemade stuff, but she's diabetic....so she can't have too much. But she normally has a goody with her meals (She eats perfect besides baked goods)
She loves when I bring her samples of my baking. She never had a pumpkin bar before, so I brought her one....she enjoyed it
|

Extremely eHealthy
hopefulmjz wrote:
Yeah. I am pretty sure I can without going against company policies, like I won't go work for her privately or anything.
Maybe I'll make a cake or something for her that day, or I'll visit Friday and bring something for her.

thats sweet make her a cake!
|

Extremely eHealthy
I love old people! That's my soft spot, little old men and ladies. I just want to hold the doors for them and hug them all!

Seriously, though. I've always been really fond of the elderly. I think because I had such an amazing grandfather, truly the best person I've ever known.

Anyway, I'd feel really bad for her, it must be hard for you to leave knowing how much she likes you and your company. If I was you I would continue to visit her and bake for her and stuff, but that's just the type of person I am. Do you think you would keep visiting her, you know, just to help keep her from getting lonely?
|

Extremely eHealthy
sorry I see some of the stuff I asked about has already been mentioned.

I should have read through all the posts first.

I really respect how you work with the elderly. I hate how our society seems to care so little about them.

Hopefully because the baby boomers are moving into their old age things will change since they are the biggest North American cohort and will probably demand better quality of life for the elderly!
|

Especially eHealthy
hopefulmjz wrote:
Well, her family is having Thanksgiving at her daughter's house...which is in the same town, so I will be limited as to what I can do.
I originally wanted Thanksgiving off, because DH and I work opposite shifts and we wanted to have a family Thanksgiving. I'm thinking of just going to visit her Friday after work (unless I have that day off, I'll go in the AM) and bringing her a baked good. She loves homemade stuff, but she's diabetic....so she can't have too much. But she normally has a goody with her meals (She eats perfect besides baked goods)
She loves when I bring her samples of my baking. She never had a pumpkin bar before, so I brought her one....she enjoyed it

i thought that u went like, later in the day.. i didnt see the 5:30-9:30 part..

can u take that day off then make ur last day that Friday?
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
My mum has this job too. She helps an 87 yr old lady and a 91 yr old man.
I think you should take Adriana round to see her, old people seem to love babies, and what about taking one of the dogs too?
|

Extremely eHealthy
I'll have to see about that Sandy....I haven't thought about switching hours. If I don't end up working Friday at my new job I will give it a shot.

Morgan, I also thought about taking one of the dogs with to go see....but they puppy doesn't like new houses and it stresses her out (She'd be the easy one to handle since she'd just sit on my lap) and Chavo would be fine but he'd be so excited and want to run all over and she's kind of....hmmm how do you say this, uppity? She loves kids and dogs, but I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate the dog hair. I'm still debating with that one tho.
|

Especially eHealthy
aw at least she has family to have thanksgiving with. if u r planning to still visit her on occasion i wouldnt worry about your last day of "work"
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...