Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Is There Anything Good About Bipolar?

Does anyone have an encouraging story to tell? Its been SUCH a hard last year. I have done so many weird things and lost so much of myself. Its just been horrible. I had so much fun at first. I felt so good emotionally. I was stable and over my other bad relationships. I felt solid. But all of the lying and money problems. The name calling. Treating me like a child. the distancing and the blaming. I just feel like I have given so much and she just keeps taking and taking... i really appreciate this site. It really does have alot of good advice but there is SO much negativity. I dont want to give up but I feel like I am a glutton for punishment and maybe giving her WAY to much benefit of the doubt. Like maybe I dont want to see what is really there in front of me...Im always thinking about her and do so many nice little things for her. Flowers, love letters, I mean its standard stuff but I go out of my way to do it and she never really returns the favor. I get up every morning and make her breakfast and coffee. Make her lunch for the day. Start her car so it heats up. i mean, that sounds pretty nice right? Its like its not enough, cuz she never returns the favor. Bummer. I am not doing it just so she will do it back, but a little recognition. A little encouragment goes a long way and shows that maybe it is appreciated instead of taken for granted.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 8th, 2007
I Want to Find the Answer Too!
I met this guy who told me that he is Bipolar, but he taking his medication daily. We started going out and things went very nice. I like him a lot and he know that I care for him. He also like me but all the sudden he wouldn't want to talk on the phone. He said that he wanted to be alone. I try to called him, email & text, but he wouldn't return any. I wrote him many email and told him that I don't mind and I just want to be there for him and he will not be alone. We only met for a month but I feel we shared a lot. The chemistry between us is great and he didn't lie to me about his health (bipola). I think he is honest and that why I felt for him. I'll be patience and still care for him. I just want to be there for him, care, support, understand, I bought a few book about Bipolar Disorder. I want to see if anything I can do for him in case he need me. I'm still patiencely waiting for him to call me one day if I'm still that special person to him. I never feel like this before as I care for him so much.
|

replied November 9th, 2007
Experienced User
Heres What I Came Up With
maybe in a cool and calm mannor you should mention that she seems unappreciative of all the things you do. perhaps she doesnt realize youre doing it for her and JUST for her. you shouldnt expect something in return for everything that you do. the negativity comes from the souls that are pissed off because someone treated them wrong and placed the blame on bpd. i get compaired like this a lot, saying i dont appreciate. but really i do. its just i dont like to say "thanks" or "thank you" it makes me feel extremly uncomfortable. i dont like receiving gifts, and i dont like opening gifts in front of the person that gave it to me. i also hate when someone asks "did you like it?". the thing is i think that whatever im asking for or whatever someone does for me... i believe that they should already know im happy im appreciative because if i wasnt they would definitly know other wise. thats a crappy way of doing things and i know its not correct or nice, but if i get put on the spot or someone waits for a thanks i become embarrassed.
|

replied November 10th, 2007
thats very interesting abnormalmind. Really,thats very good insight into how a bipolar person thinks. And I can see some similarities in my wife. I mean, is it keeping your cool that works best with bipolar people? Like, the other day I got frustrated because I bought her flowers and did all of these other little things that I thought would make her happy and when she got home she said" you bought me flowers?" and that was the end of it. I didnt even get a small thank you and that made me mad,it really did. You think what you said about recieving gifts could be the same reason my wife doesnt thank me? Man,reading that was weird.
|

replied November 10th, 2007
Experienced User
perhaps you should add some more to it.. maybe this might work. next time you do something ask her "did you love your "______". then she might express some feeling towards it. but dont count on a award winning preformance. try not to get upset when she doesnt give it her all either that might put a edge on things. i can think of a couple of things that would probably get her to show some emotions... that would get her to say aww or something similar just let me know if you want to
|

replied November 11th, 2007
Sure
why not?
|

replied December 11th, 2007
i'm the same way. i get really uncomfortable when people buy me things and can't take compliments well either. often, i feel like i don't deserve whatever somebody bought or did for me, given that i'm already such a handful to deal with. other times, i feel like it obligates me to behave in a certain way (healthy, happy, NORMAL) and that puts more pressure on me...depending on my mood i get angry or upset.....
...so...we're collectively sorry ; )
|

oh encouraging story?

sure, i can write about a hundred pages of dense history research in three days or less...and thats including time spent dicking around on other things. i don't sleep for days and feel great. i'm a cheap date when i'm manic, have no appetite and disregard my hunger completely. so there are some upsides!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Our "up" days! yes
|

User Profile
Supporter
um, hmm....... yeah, up days Smile but i don't have too many... we are smart?? we don't want to hurt anyone. we can learn to behave and take meds and i dunno... but i'm very depressed right now so take me with a grain of salt, so to speak. xoxo puzzld
|

i'm currently toeing the line between hypomania and mania, which is evident by the fact that i JUSt registered today for this forum and have written 6? 7? long and involved posts. I get super social, which i havent felt for a looooong time. havent slept, eaten in days etc.

so, it seems we're on direct opposite sides of the spectrum. i do feel for you.

i don't know about you, but i feel like i emotionally dissociate between my mood swings, like when i'm up, i can't remember being anything but so happy and energetic, and when i'm down, i can't remember ever feeling active or not depressed. it's worse for me when i'm down i think, i just can't remember anything well, and my entire life seems to have been a big depressive episode. if that's the case for you, take heart because one of the truly lovely things about this condition is that by its very condition, it changes. it will get better because that's just what happens in time. till then, though, enjoy the slight perks of being down while you can. i miss sleeping and eating, but simply cannot bring myself to do either.

i know the feeling of hopelessness and just utter exhaustion at having to deal with this paralysis, but remember that it isn't real. it's all chemical. what you're thinking now is not the product of rational thought...and it'll be over soon Wink
|

replied December 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
puzzld wrote:
um, hmm....... yeah, up days Smile but i don't have too many... we are smart?? we don't want to hurt anyone. we can learn to behave and take meds and i dunno... but i'm very depressed right now so take me with a grain of salt, so to speak. xoxo puzzld

I'm sending you a big hug with empathy. I have been the same way for almost a week now. Has to be the season. We can take each other with a grain of salt OK. xoxoxoxox back to ya!

ebaris, Welcome to the family. Stick around and you will find hope in just the friendship alone here. And a gang here willing to help get you through those hard times. The good one too, if you include us in the parties that is. Glad you could join us and hope you get as much out of the community as I have. You will find nothing but love and empathy here.

Again Welcome!
Carrie
|

User Profile
replied December 12th, 2007
Supporter
awwwwwe thanks MsCarrie!!! i love hugs Smile

i feel kinda bad right now... i was mean i think in another topic. some were bashing bp people and i got defensive...

and - hi ebaris Smile glad you are here! i can't remember ever being manic right now. hope you stick around.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...