Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Early Parenting Mistakes

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
This is supposed to be light hearted and kind of fun. Just the things that make you shake your head and make you wonder "what the heck was I thinking?!".

I've made many, but one that still makes me shudder when I think about it.

The first time I breastfed my daughter I didn't realize that you had to UNLATCH the baby before switching sides so I just pulled her off. The resulting pain was almost as bad as birth! I had a blood blister that lasted days.

Your turn.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
This is more of a nannying story than parenting. I nanny for a one and a half year old. He loves to get into EVERYTHING. On this particular day, his mom was at home taking care of things around the house (cleaning, changing cat litter, shopping, etc). Dash(the baby) really wanted to put on lotion because he had an itch. His mom told me that it is fine if we take out the lotion and play with it, and she knows that it will make a mess but it is okay. Making positive she was okay with it first, we took out the lotion. Lets just say it got EVERYWHERE. It was soaked into my clothes, it was rubbed in his hair, it was all over the walls, it was flung into the crib, it was rubbed into the carpet....

She was there as it was going on, and she told us not to stop because it looked fun, so I hesitantly let him still play. What a mess! When all was said and done, we realized we have no idea how to get lotion out of things. We bought a cleaner and she sprayed down the room while I gave Dash a bath. I don't know what we were thinking. There are still lotion spots on the floor to this day, and its almost two months later!
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2008
Community Volunteer
O my...lemme think here *filters through several files of oopsies*
Well this is more of a language thing but DH, being in the Navy and all, sometimes uses the slang terms for anatomy. So DS (6.Cool calls his testicles "balls". Now on with the story. Two days ago DH makes a comment to DD(3) after DD jumps from the top of the stairwell straight to the bottom(four steps total). He, and I quote this people, says, "Eve, you have got some balls on you". To which DD promptly says, "I don't have balls, only boys have balls"! LOL!!!! So, I guess that when it comes to parenting, sometimes you gotta watch what you say, even if it seems begnin. Because kids take things LITERALLY
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I think the worst thing I've ever done is I forgot to buckle her into her carseat completely and started pulling out of the driveway. I realized what I had done and quickly stopped the car and went to check on her. I felt like such a bad mother but then I talked to some other people that said they had done the same thing. I still feel bad but it helps to know other people have been there.
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
My mom suggested a way to bathe my daughter was to get into the bathtub and have my husband hand her to me. So I filled up the bathtub, got in, and started washing her. My husband was sitting next to me, watching. Not sure if you've noticed, but babies get kinda slippery when you suds them up. All of a sudden, she slipped from my hand and went under. She didn't go completely under, so I thought she was fine. My husband picked her up and started patting her back. She coughed and I then realized she hadn't been breathing! Needless to say, her bath was over and I started crying so hard because I didn't know anything was wrong! I still get teary eyed when I think about it...
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
Supporter
Lilly Ivy wrote:
My mom suggested a way to bathe my daughter was to get into the bathtub and have my husband hand her to me. So I filled up the bathtub, got in, and started washing her. My husband was sitting next to me, watching. Not sure if you've noticed, but babies get kinda slippery when you suds them up. All of a sudden, she slipped from my hand and went under. She didn't go completely under, so I thought she was fine. My husband picked her up and started patting her back. She coughed and I then realized she hadn't been breathing! Needless to say, her bath was over and I started crying so hard because I didn't know anything was wrong! I still get teary eyed when I think about it...

DO NOT get in the shower with her!! I just started experimenting with showering together and Kyleigh likes to stand up... she slipped and fell right on her butt really hard. So, I picked her up and even with no suds they are slippery!!

I've done that whole bubble bath thing when she was younger. She slipped out of my hands too but she didn't go under.
|

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2008
Supporter
There's probably a long list of "oopsies" that I have permanently blocked out of my mind....

The first day we came from the hospital, people were going to be stopping by to visit. So of course, I had to doll the baby up a bit. I put her in a frilly little dress and put one of those elastic headbands with the bows on her head... Well, I left it there all day.
When I took it off, her soft spot was sunken in a bit from the headband. I FREAKED out. I took her to the doctor and everything because I thought I dented her head in!
I never put those things on her again.

I have also forgotten the diaper bag a bunch of times...
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2008
Experienced User
Lilly Ivy wrote:

oh my!! I dont know what i would have done if that happened to me!! good thing she was ok!
|

replied August 17th, 2008
Experienced User
Lilly Ivy,
Dont feel bad, I almost did that before. Remeber, your baby lived in "water" for nine months... she will be fine. Don't worry about it now. Take care.

-Stephanie
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
i remember i used to but scott bottles in the microwave well mine i can put in like 20 secs. you know the exect time well i visited my auntie and didnt really know how to work it. and forgot all about it. i tested the milk when it came out as it scalded me down my hand Sad i put it in for 2 mins

imagine if i never tested it i was like OMG what an idiot
xx
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
ookay i never realized that the last word needed sencerd lol ahahaha
as u can prob imagine it was on the same lines as fool lol
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2008
Advanced Support Team
My grandmother always warned me about using baby oil on an infant. She was babysitting a friends infant back in the day (haha)...well the baby had spit up all over itself and had an explosive diaper so my grandmother bathed the baby and had him laying on a towel on the kitchen table (dont ask haha) well she started lubing the baby up with baby oil to freshen him up and make his skin oh so soft. She removed the towel from underneath him and needless to say a slippery baby on a smooth table...lead to a slick oiled up baby sliding right out of her hands onto the floor! Luckily the poor thing was fine. I never used pure baby oil on my daughter! I use the lotion oil!
|