Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Ways to Get Rid of Insomnia

though it would good if we could get a thread going of ideas to get rid on insomnia.

1. Relaxation tapes before bed.........this has helped alot you can do a search and listen to some for free.

2. Meditation.......many forms of it......counting sheep ect

anyone have anything different they do? lets get some new ideas going
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
A massage with calming essential oils

Homotherapy and acupuncture

Drinking a warm cup of herbal tea or taking a herbal supplement
|

replied December 1st, 2007
Behaviour Change
great topic, here some more tips that have proven at least as effective as medication:

* Stimulus control: Don't watch TV, eat or read in the bed.
* Don't go to bed until you are sleepy.
* Get up at the same time every day.
* Don't nap during the day.
* If you can't fall asleep for 15 minutes, get out of bed and engage in some relaxing activity.
* Make sure your room is dark (e.g. add light-proof blinds to your bedroom).
* Don't overeat before sleeping, but don't go to bed hungry either.
* Before going to sleep, limit beverages, specially alcoholic drinks and caffeinated drinks (that includes most teas, like black tea, green tea, etc.).

source:
http://www.savecure.com/Sleeping%20Well%20 Without%20Pills.html
|

replied December 17th, 2007
You can Deal with insomnia using lettuce, water, honey and lemon.
|

replied December 23rd, 2007
Re: Ways to Get Rid of Insomnia
scottyy11 wrote:
though it would good if we could get a thread going of ideas to get rid on insomnia.

1. Relaxation tapes before bed.........this has helped alot you can do a search and listen to some for free.

2. Meditation.......many forms of it......counting sheep ect

anyone have anything different they do? lets get some new ideas going

I always do yoga meditation with music in bed. I never finish the 45 minutes music. It purifies my mind and relaxed.

Sleep is crucial to me since I have seizure. My Neuro/sleep Dr told me that my sleep pattern is not good after several overnight tests. I tried to maintain 7 to 8 hours sleep every single day. I tried to minimize using pills.

I am working in a very stressful environment (a Wall Street firm). It is a challenging. You are not alone.
|

replied January 9th, 2008
Although this will not really get rid of insomnia, but reading actually helps people who are having trouble trying to get to sleep.

Bathing in bath salts can also help people with insomnia. Studies have shown that even bathing alone can help relieve stress and tension. What more if aromatherapy bath salts are added? With this, the body will feel more relaxed , restful and more inclined to sleep.
|

replied January 26th, 2008
Relaxation tapes and products that tweak your brain activity work wonders.

However, there a lot of good tips and tricks for people who have transient (short-term) insomnia.

- Lay off caffeine and avoid smoking before going to sleep.
- Get in some good exercise earlier on in the day
- Avoid taking naps
- Adjust the room temperature to a comfortable setting
- Buy a comfortable bed along with pillow made of the material you like (feathers, foam, etc.)
- Use aromatherapy techniques like putting some english lavender under your pillow while you try and rest

The list goes on and on, but yet again, these techniques only work for people who have mild insomnia.
|

replied January 29th, 2008
good ventilation / constant comfortable temperature (difficult to achieve both simulaneously at this time of year in the northern hemisphere)

for more tips try googling "sleep hygeine"
|

replied March 8th, 2010
Re: Sleep Disorders
Now a days most of them suffering because of Insomnia problems due to the pressure and stress which they are undergoing in their day to day life. When I too was faced the same Insomnia problem really I was so depressed and I cant able to concentrate in any work. Later I came to know about the Hypnotherapy treatment which really gave a good relief and increased my Confidence and self control.
|

replied February 25th, 2011
i am suffering from chronic insomnia and i have seen a few doctors and all they do is give me sleeping pills.
The bad insomnia started again this july til end october and now again since december and its non stop.
nights up followed by meds and then nights up again. I have started amytriptaline and it still keeps me up so i end up taking something else at 2 or 3 am.
i meditate, follow all the proper sleep hygiene
could it be something else? Been months and months- i can b extremely tired and go to bed and i just toss and turn all night.
how can this pill that so many use to sleep not work for me?
|

replied April 14th, 2011
Yes, bath salts are very relaxing. I also use diffusers with essential oils (bergamot, ylang ylang, lavender) which are very calming. A glass of warm milk boiled with a pinch of turmeric and some sugar make me fall asleep within 10 mins. There are many useful home remedies that I tried and found useful
|

replied April 18th, 2011
My insomnia is not in falling asleep but in waking up an hour or so later and then being awake for 4 hours or more. Here are some strange things that do seem to help.

1. Playing solitaire over and over again on the computer

2. Coming from a Catholic background sometimes I say the rosary. I don't need to think about what I am praying, the prayers are rote and I fall asleep.

3. I keep a copy of a Charles Dickens book by my bed and sometimes read from it in the middle of the night.

4. I put the tv on low and choose one of the music stations with soothing music, or else the weather channel.
|

replied April 25th, 2012
As weird as it sounds but masturbation does help the body get relaxed and tired, any sexual activities will help the body relax.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Quick Reply