Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Paranoid With Irrational Thoughts --- Social Phobia Or Paranoia?

User Profile
I cant work a full shift anywhere as the paranoia becomes so strong that my mind starts to race. I get this knotted feel in my stomach and my breathing become short and shallow. The worst feeling is the thought that other people can sence this coming from me and start to look more or talk behind my back or just stay away. However even if someone is being polite and friendly my mind becomes blank and I answer in a way that can be seen as evasive or uninterested. I had an attack at work last night and had to leave early, now im afraid to leave home and still have this paranoid feeling now. The feeling is worse in the morning when I wake up, just a deeply knotted stomach and a throb in my head coupled with a deep paranoia. Im not worried about people hurting me but me hurting them somehow. Its just so irrational. Pleae advise me on wht you think this could be.
thank you.<br>
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Mental Conditions Answer A3424
You wrote:

"List of pre-existing conditions: I was treated for depression in 2006 (citalopram) but had to come off the treatment when it rose from 20mg to 30mg - It was due to me having these searing headaches. Since then I guess im not depressed anymore but now I get anxiety attacks frequently throughout the day. I am not on any medications at the moment.
List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: When I was born I suffered a Fibrile Fit. I contracted cerebral maleria when visitng bangladesh in 1995, I was prescribed a drug by a village doctor which resulted in me going into a semicomatose condition for a week before I was well enough to leave back for Britain, where I was given a work up and was passed as fit. I have dislocated my arm at the socket on both sides repeatedly through sports & misadventure.

Current medical status: I have seen a GP over my anxiety attacks and over the course of 5months have been seen by 3 doctors all giving me different opinions. 1st) who initially diagnosed me a depressed, heard my story and sufggested I go for treatment. when I told him I was moving away he said that I need to register with the GP in the new area and see a mental health worker. 2nd) Was a covering doctor for the GP in my new area. Prescribed me Zimovane which resulted in me having major sleep problems and a uncontrollable rise in paranoia. I also have regular headaches since taking this medication. 3rd) Was the actual registered doctor for the practice. Saw me and said to come off the Zimovane and excercise more with swimming and jogging - the latter being something I have been doing since 2006 and helped but only for a little while."

Given the symptoms that you describe such as avoiding contacts with other people for irrational reasons, you might be experiencing a kind of neurotic disorder called "social phobia". It doesn’t seem that you are experiencing paranoia because you are aware that the reasons for avoiding people are irrational. In a situation like this when three GP-doctors couldn’t help you, you may need to ask for expert help from a mental health doctor.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.