Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Erythropoietin And Leukemia Connection

My father-in-law was diagnosed with leukemia five years ago when he and my mother-in-law got bloodwork done to get their passports. He had not been to a doctor since they imigrated from holland in 1960. He used to have a rabbit ranch that he worked by himself in southern california. Since he perspired a lot while working he always took salt tablets and liberally loaded his food with salt (he believes that if he can taste salt in his sweat then it is "leaking out" of his system and must be replaced). He has continued to do this in retirement (he is now 80 years old). I have been doing some research and recently found out that there is some connection with erythropoietin and leukemia. My question(s) is(are): could he have given this to himself by over-consuming salt, and would lowering his salt intake lessen the severity if his leukemia?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
No,there is no such association and lessening salt intake will not help him.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.