Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Are shaking and tremors a sign of MS?

Got some back story in here too... sorry if it gets lengthy

About 5 years back, I was in high school and I had IBS, and the only things that didnt send me to the bathroom in pain were cornchips, hot dogs, and blue laffy taffy... and I lived off those foods for months. Eventually I was able to eat normal again. Around this time I also tried smoking pot, and after doing that a few times, the day after I smoked it, I noticed I couldnt focus, like my eyes were front focusing, or i was being cross eyed. I felt foggy headed and this lasted for about 6 months. I had a brain scan, lots of acupuncture, homeopathy, normal medication etc... I also during this time developed a hand tremor, neurologist said it was excess of neurneprophin? (spelling) and i needed to excercise to make it go away, as the brain scan turned out fine and my tremors were pretty fine and seemed to be worse upon using my muscles. For the record, I have an anxiety, depression, ocd problem... and this eventually went away and I wrote it off as such, and I still to this day think it still was anxiety related due to the pot and my grandfather dying around that time...

Fast forward to recently. About a year ago I sprained my foot in acting class, developed tendonitus in it and it never healed, I started physical therapy for this, around the time I started physical therapy I also decided that I wanted to go out and do active things, have a more healthy life instead of playing video games like i had been doing for 12 years. So I decided to do the master cleanse diet, google it if you want to know more about it. I did the master cleanse for 40 days, and you can see my progress on youtube (itstastybacon is my username) Right before I did the master cleanse I got sick and was in bed for a week, around this time I had just started my physical therapy, and i developed back and hip pain, that has yet to fully go away to this day. Acupuncturists, PT's, etc all say i have little to almost no muscle tone in my lower back and hips and i attribue that to that problem. Few months later. In an effort to help my back I started yoga, and 30 minutes after my first session, I had an onset of horrible depression, anxiety, and my foggy headedness came back ( my foggy headedness may in fact be a combination of anxiety, depression and allergies) I wrote it off as allergies, and started taking sudafed, on top of flonase and some antibiotics given to me by a doctor for ear infection and allergies. Well, I accidentally took 2 12 hour time release sudafeds at the same time, and that night I developed tremors again. (for the record again, this was during a very high stress period in my life, i was starting a business with a friend, whos ending up running with my idea, without me) I stopped the yoga, and I stopped everything I was doing, my anxiety has taken over since then. I have a tendency to read up on things and think i have them... and that may be why im here, but i want to be safe. Soon after this, i developed random shooting pains in my body, and specific joint aches, mainly in my forearms and wrists. I had been sleeping on an air matress around the time this all started, and i just switches to something else and the aches seemed to have dissappeared. However, the tremors weeks later are still here and seem to be getting worse to me, at least. Exercise makes it worse, I love hot showers and the shaking is worse when I get out of the shower, muscle use makes it worse, muscle non-use makes it better it seems. For example I deliberatley didnt use my muscles much for 2 days and the shaking almost subsided, then I played a video game for 10 minutes and it was back. Doctors have written my off as a nut case, My doctor wont see me anymore until I have a psych evaluation. My tremors are only really visible if i lay my arm down on something and raise my hand/wrist, though sometimes you can see it if i hold out my hands, but rarely...and the doctors tests dont show them anything, in fact, odd thing. Everytime ive gone to the doctor, my shaking usually goes from, gone, to hardly there. Physical therapy seems to think its lack of muscle, but this was rather sudden. Ive had lots of blood work done, and a CT scan. but can get no one to give me an MRI (despite 2 cases of head trauma in 5 years). Neuro doesnt think its MS, Parkinsons or anything, no resting tremor, but I however feel and internal vibration sometimes. I just took a shower, and feel a little weak, but I have been using my muscles alot latley and it could be related...as Im pretty sure I have all my strength... what worries me, to no end is that the shaking is worse upon leaving the shower. No one thinks its anything serious, as my tremors for the most part, most of the time are fine, and all my tests, blood, physical, etc turn out fine.... but compared to how steady my hands usually are, its really really stressfull and is driving me up a wall.
I noticed that when i ice my forearm the shaking completley stops.... and im at a loss for what could be going on with me. I have very very very very slight, loss of feeling on the right side of my head, face.. area compared to my left. This could be anxiety, or allergies, and or my slight loss of hearing (from a concert) me thinking its something else. I am a bit of a hyopcondriac. Thank you for hearing my story, and if you have any light to shed on this, maybe ease my mind, i would be so gratefull. Its really hard when you finally decide to change your life for the better, and then something happens and you cant go out and do the things you want to do...

Jordan
(sorry, i know the whole post is kinda convoluted and all over the place)
(also, ive been on klonapin, and other various anti depressants over the course of my life, klonapin did seem to help once, but overall it usually makes me not care that my hands are shaking, but they still do, i successfully quit all my medication about a year ago, and recently started klonapin again)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 23rd, 2007
alright guys, thanks for your help...
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2007
Shaking,tremors
What symptom are you taking the Klonopin for?
|

replied November 25th, 2007
initially to see if it helped with the tremors, which it doesnt....
then to just get my mind off of this problem thats eating away at me, just to stop thinking about it if only for a minute.
|

replied October 7th, 2009
idk if you are around anymore but if you are please email me and i will reply to your post and catch up on how you are today..
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....