Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Can Belief Initiate Bipolar

I was wondering if anyone else experienced a manic episode after watching and fully believing in the secret. I had never been officially diagnosed with bipolar in the late years of high school, yet i believe looking back that i had very slight bipolar tendencies. It came at the end of my first year in university, and my interpretation was one where I beleived as long as I "felt good" which meant smoking pot and just playing out visions in my head they would manifest into my experience.

I believed that i no longer had to go to the gym, I could grow muslce mass by conciously becoming aware of my metabolism in my mind.

I believed that if I visualized my self arriving at my destination, there was absolutely no way i could crash by law of attraction.

I beleived in order to "bring myself into allignment" with being a millionaire that I had to spend like one. I gave cabbies 20 dollar tips for 10 dollar fares.

Has anyone else had an intense manic episode that was a result of this movie? The depression after is serious, my suicidal thoughts came in the line of thought that"I am a spiritual being trapped in this human body, and I dont like my experience so far so maybe in another life ill be able to experience and what i really want to experience.

those thoughts were put to an end. I was studying in Cnada abroad and I had to take a year of to go overseas back home to get medicated and be with my family. their unconditional love and support made me see that it would be damn selfish to bail out when life gets rough.

I know the movie has a good premise, but i cant help but loath some of the secret teachers(especially Joe vitale) for their deceitful messages, and gross over simplifications of the universe. I cant help these feelings but there was some seriously dodgy marketing schemes that made these people hella rich.

Id really really appreicate some feedback, my psychiatrist is being a douche and refuses to watch the movie.....but i told him that this movie is a ticking timebomb for anyone with bipolar....because it makes you feel as if you had a spiritual emergence and u are on a prophetic mission.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I think perhaps that you missed the point of the movie --- it seems that you're dooming yourself to repeat a cycle that reinforces daydreaming rather than reality. You can't expect miracles to happen by doing nothing --- you've got to meet the universe halfway.

You CANNOT expect change to occur in your life for free. You've got to work for it!!! And if you're giving money away w/o regard for what you're doing, you're saying that you don't VALUE money at all.

Are you still smoking pot?

That got me in a rut, and it might b the source of the delusions.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Experienced User
watch fight club then tell me what you think...
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2007
If u are talking about the secret that was a book first no i do not agree. I heard about this secret and positive thinking leads to positive outcomes but i think the author is in over her head, she is trying to form some ideology. She says u are ur own God and u have power over anything as long as u believe. I believe in Jesus and i wouldn't put myself as high as him. I can not do magic and grow muscles without exercising. Now there are some who say with ur mind u can probably loose weight that's because digestion is a natural process and may be controled through the brain. Now actually getting muscles that lady is messing with ur head. That is why i refuse to watch her movie. She is just trying to make a buck. It's kinda like communism nice in theory but not in practice.
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
Can Belief Initiate Bipolar
I was really into the secret for a while. I do beleive that it helped me acheive goals that I could have otherwise not reached and seemed impossible. But, I did not put any risk into it. Just thoughts and a positive outlook on life.

I had a bipolar friend who's life was just out of control and I asked her to watch the secret with me. About 10 minutes into it she started to hyperventilate and have an anxiety attack on the part where they said that everything negative in your life was a result of your thoughts. Interesting... Never talked about it again after that.
|

replied July 8th, 2011
Experienced User
That book and film is HIGLY dangerous, as this is not what God intended for us at all. Positive thinking is not the answer, if it was , think about it, i could think something and bring it to pass, you could think something opposite, and also bring it to pass, so one thing would cancel each other.Also, if your thoughts can bring reality, you would be GOD!!!!!!!! And of course , you are not the Creator, you cannot bring reality into your life, only GOd can.
I beleive it is a good thing to think happilly, but it is another to expect your thoughts will bring you things.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...