Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety? Congestive Heart? Help Please

I'm a 22 year old male. About a month ago, at about 10 pm in the evening I suddenly had intense pains in my chest, hot flashes, started shaking and was having real trouble breathing. My mother, who has been diagnosed with high blood pressure, among other illnesses of the sort, told me to check my blood pressure and it was insanely high(I dont remember the exact reading). I calmed myself down, and managed to get to sleep, hoping I would get over it.

It's been about a month now, and although I havent had an experience as intense as that first night, I'm still having similar symptoms daily. Sometimes it's difficult for me to get a full, deep breath. A few times when checking my blood pressure(which has been relatively normal for the most part since that night), I notice that my heart rate has been very low, as low as 40 bpm at one point. Other symptoms I'm experiencing are extreme depression, sharp, piercing pains in my heart and the right side of my chest, continuous low fatigue, large amounts of flem in the throat, and digestive problems such as stomach pains and diarhea. I don't know if all of these symptoms are related.

I was a smoker for 2 years, and since I've been having these symptoms, I've quit. I am just looking for some insight or advice from anyone who can help. I don't have insurance, but am heading to the dr tomorrow to finally get myself checked out. I would just like to know before going in, if anyone knows what this could be classified as. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Your potassium level could be low, causing your heart to slow down or be irregular.
Doc will probably order some blood work and see how your cardiac emzines come out and go from there. May put you on a beta blocker which takes care of alot of heart abnormalities. You are awefully young for Congestive Heart Failure. But, illness does not pick an age so let's see what doc says and then you can be reffered out to whomever.

Carrie

Any other ideas anyone?
|

replied November 3rd, 2007
Okay, so you don't think it's anxiety though? Or could it be that whatever chemical or heart problems I'm having are causing the anxiety? Thank you so much for your input.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yes, anxiety can cause a multitude of symptom, including all the one you have mentioned above. But, when I hear blood pressure and heart, I always have those checked to be on the safe side.
What I am concerned about is your heart rate going down into the 40s. That is not a good sign. If it was that way all the time and you are a person that works out or is an athletic person, that is what we call an "Athletets Heart" which is very normal to run low. A stress test on a treat mill would provide the the doctor with some very good information. The heart at rest (at night) normally goes down. But in the 40s is awefully low. That is what I am concerned about. That IMHO would not be due to anxiety. As fast beat or palpations would be. I really would have that checked out. Also the pain in your heart.
Does this happen very often? I would still recommend that you see a cariologist. Always better to be on the safe side.
I also have constant phlem in my throat due to post nasal drip from allergies. Has nothing to do with anxiety for me or depression. We are taking about a mulitude of symtoms here that could possiblilly un-related.

Carrie
|

Yes, the chest pains are a daily occurance.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ever been checked for "Acid Reflux"?

Carrie
|

replied November 4th, 2007
No, I havent. Isn't that related to heartburn though? Or are there other symptoms of it that I'm having?
|

replied November 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, Acid Reflux is just a more intense, damaging relative of heartburn. The acid from your stomach comes all the way up to your throat and can actually burn the inside of your asophagus. The are drugs to help this heal. We try and stay away from acid foods and spicy foods. I have had AR for years and about a month ago I though my throat was on fire! I take Nexium for it.
As far as you other sympotms go. Not being a doctor, all I can advice you to do is ask about getting on some medications for you anixiety and deppresson. I sure has help me through some pretty bad times. And I am still going through those pretty bad times. Sad

Carrie
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...