Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Psoriasis Forum

Finger Tip Numb, tingling, peeling

Has anyone had the following problem:

finger tip (the entire end section of the finger) becomes numb. However, you still have feeling in it. The general feeling can best be described like the sensation you get when your finger gets a coating of elmer's glue on it. And when you bend it, it feels stiff.

Then tingling sets in.

And then a few days to a week later, the skin begins peeling off. First in small amounts and then all at once. A few days later, your finger looks just like new.

Several months go by and then the cycle starts all over. Only this time on a different finger...Same hand.

Please respond with similar occurences and solutions or diagnosis!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nursedon
|

replied December 28th, 2007
Tip of Finger Peeling...
I googled tip of finger peeling and found your post. Yes, I have the same problem.

I also, have psoriasis. (on body and under my fingernails) I am 50 and have had psoriasis since I was about 25.~ The tip of the finger peeling is something quite new.
|

replied December 6th, 2008
tingling
I sometimes get a tingling feelin to my left hand when I stretch it out wide, it comes and goes, has anyone else had this symtom before?
|

replied May 12th, 2009
Nickel is toxic!
I have had psoriasis for 30+ years. I began to notice 3 years ago that, after playing guitar for several hours, my eyes would red up and itch. It got worse as the months went by and they soon began to swell and itch like poison ivy burns. It was lasting longer and longer up to two weeks to return to normal. I had a patch test and discovered I have become extremely allergic to nickel after years of regular contact. My doctor told me a slight nickel allergy can advance to extreme with more and more nickel contact. I changed all frets, strings and other hardware to from nickel to stainless steel on all my guitars. I can now play a full show with no ill effects from nickel. As a side benefit after about six months after the the changes to my guitars my psoriasis is now clear.
I found out there is allot of nickel in this world. My office chair, belt buckle, snaps on jeans, some door handles, tools, fixtures, glasses, dirt, golf club shafts, key rings, jewelry, lots of musical instruments, and many many other things. This substance should be outlawed. If you have psoriasis it may be a nickel/bronze allergy.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
From what I've heard Psoriasis isn't an allergic reaction, its a genetic problem with the skin cells renewing themselves too quickly. Nickel reactions are most likely dermatitis in the form of eczema.
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Psoriasis isn't an allergic reaction.
I don't know what it is.
This is what I know, I was a typical psoriasis person with red patches of skin that were covered with thick white scales. I have always had it on my knees and elbows. I have had it at times on my torso so bad that I would crack and bleed if I twisted too much. I been to countless doctors who said yup you got psoriasis. I was in the military and had a team of doctors review and study me. My psoriasis sometimes got better and sometimes got worse and I never had a clue as to why. I've tried diets and gave up. I eat peanuts, chocolate, and anything else I want and I drink whiskey when I want. I smoked for 30+ years. I quit smoking for two years and then started back. I don't do any illegal drugs. I have played guitar for 30+ years. When I changed my guitar strings and hardware from nickel to stainless steel my psoriasis cleared completely for the 1st time ever and I am still clear. If I come in contact with nickel, my eyes will start burning, swelling, and itching. The best way I can describe it is "Its like ants crawling around on my eyelids and taking a byte now and then. When the swelling goes down (about a week) the area around my eye turns brown and crusty and takes a week to heal to normal. Needless to say, I avoid nickel!
|

replied May 18th, 2009
History
Age Event
@10.Play guitar sometimes
@15.Began cleaning golf clubs for my dad and his friends.
@18.Diagnosed with psoriasis
@19.Started playing guitar and golfing weekly
@45.Noticed fingers itch after a gig
@46.Noticed fingers itch and peal after a gig right wrist itch also
@48.Eyelids slight burn and itch during a gig
@50.Eyes swell and itch uncontrollably (discovered nickel allergy)
Changed guitar strings and hardware and can now play.
Avoid nickel (not a easy task) it's everywhere.
@51.psoriasis gone for the 1st time since age 18!
@53.Telling Somebody!

I know several guitar players with psoriasis and have informed them of my experience.

I play guitar for live events and half the stuff on stage is nickel and I must avoid.

Some buildings have nickel in the air (from HVAC systems I guess) and within ten minutes my eyelids will begin to burn. I have to leave the building and wash my hands and face.

Guitar Center is one of these buildings. When I go there I must make a plan to get in and out fast.

I use D'Addario XLS and XL Prosteels and Ernie Ball Stainless Steel strings for electric. They take some getting use to as far as eq-ing for tone. They sound best on my fender twin, HRD, and Mesa mark III simul class and not so good on my SS amps. I use to use GHS Boomers nickel coated and those strings are pure poison to me now. I use martin silk and steel for my acoustics. They always sound old and like they need to be changed. I had to paint the latches on my guitar cases. I had to change from switchcraft to neutrik ends. Had to change frets to stainless steel. I had to change tuning keys on one of my guitars. I put a piece of electrical tape on my bridge where my right wrist rest while playing. I had to switch to graphite shafts on all my golf clubs. I no longer shake hands with other guitar/bass players. I now, never let anyone play my guitars or carry my equipment. I never touch the guitars,amps,cables,tuners,ect.. of others. The guys in my band have seen me with my red swollen shut watering eyes and understand.
|

replied January 25th, 2010
I'm a nurse in California, and I have finger tip psoriasis and have had it for 2 + years. My dermatologist says there is no cure. I tried his expensive creme but didn't work; difficult as I have to wash my hands frequently. Recently, my wife bought me a tube of a product called Flexitol heel balm. It contains an ingredient called urea. It's early yet but with frequent application, my fingers are improved greatly. No peeling skin or paper cut like incisions on tips of fingers. I think she got it at Walgreens, over the counter and probably a lot less expensive than Rx's. I'm going to keep using it and see if things cont. to improve. Good luck to other sufferers. Don P.
|

replied January 25th, 2012
Psoriasis cure !!
My daughter has had psoriasis from the age of 2 (very mild) till her now age of 24 yrs. She has been gradually getting worse for the past 4 yrs, since leaving home, and now has it all over her body. She eats mostly takeaways and recently began to take probiotics from the pharmacist and finds her hands and feet are healing after only 3 days of use !!....very excited and hopeful
|

replied February 17th, 2010
nursedon,

Thanks for that information. I'm going to try Flexitol, too. I'll try anything! I just posted about psoriasis on the end of my right thumb which is such an annoyance. Can't do anything without splitting it more, and am getting constant infections that I have to deal with. It's moving under my fingernail, too which is pretty uncomfortable. I'm looking for something I can wear over my thumb to protect it from tearing and infections while I'm working and out in the world. Bandages cost way too much since you have to replace them several times a day, and they're time-consuming. A full glove won't work for me since I need my fingertips to press tiny buttons on electronic equipment. Hoping to find something. If I can't find anything, I'll see about making something.
|

replied October 29th, 2010
Finger Nail Psoriasis
I have the finger nail psoriasis as well, and the tips and around the nail are red and are either painful and bleeding or just numb.. I am worried that my fingers are going to rot off! Having to use a computer at work is often a challenge now. I am encouraged about the Fexitol and will try anything and probably have to no avail. I also am looking for something to voer the tips of my fingers other than bandaids...
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
The best thing to do is find a rich cream, one that is thicker than most others so it doesn't wash off as easily. At night try to apply the cream and then cover it. The covering will improve the results from the cream.

I suspect in the winter it will get worse with the dryness and lack of sunlight we get. You will need to apply your cream more frequently during this time.

Try to find one that has Sal Acid in it along with good mositurizing ingredients. The Sal Acid should help your skin exfoliate the dead build up of cells more quickly which should bring back some feeling in the tips.

Mike
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Hi all,

I have had fingertip Psoriasis for 10+yrs & 4 yrs ago went onto Dovobet cream which I apply as I'm going bed, don't get me wrong I accept that there is no miracle cure for this, its about controlling it... My fingers are fine now with a little peeling which is nothing in the scheme of life...
Hope this post helps just one of you ask your doctor for the cream and helps...

Matt
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
What is eczema? We review basic facts on types of eczema and provide the medical definition of this common skin disorder here....
Children are more likely to get eczema. But are you at risk of this skin condition? Also, info on what causes eczema in this section....
Do you know how to identify symptoms of eczema? We review the common signs of eczema in adults and kids and let you know when to seek medical help....