Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Struggle to interact socially with people + difficulty focus

I've felt this way ever since I was a kid. It's a struggle to interact socially with people, and I can't focus. There are holes in my memory, and sometimes I just can't keep my thoughts together. About two years ago my psychiatrist told me I was depressed, and I took prozac for a while. Recently, these symptoms returned--I thought of suicide before, but just as passing thoughts. I have a good family, I suppose, that I would not want to harm. I've also had sessions with a therapist, but ended up crying every time and did not think it helped me much at all, because I didn't like the way she wanted to poke about my thoughts. Now this--whatever this is--is affecting my school performances, and moreover, I just feel dumb. I often can't remember what I've said or done a day before, and everything just seems to slip. I've stopped caring much about a lot I used to care for. But I still don't think I'm serious enough to be getting help. After all, I’m not trying to do anything extreme at the moment, or anytime in the future. A part of me also doesn't want help from people, because it's all too awkward and complicated to unravel.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Dear Wozy,

Is there, or was there ever, alot of "clutter" in your life? For example; you had to run from place to place to do small but important errands, or you had a lot of school assignments that were different in nature (a test here, a paper there, a presentation as well, etc) with variegated due dates.

At any rate, please think of help as something that is there for you and that you have access to should you want it. There is no status associated with it or "qualification" necessary. Psychological/Psychiatric help is something humans have come up with because it is helpful, it's there should you want it, and it is your right to go get it.

Smile

take care
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
In This World Today
There are so many out there that have so much on their minds they become anti-social. So much to do and no time to improve your social life. Everyone is running around trying to do the things they need to do and leaving no time for the fun part of life. The reality is, that you have to make time. This is a self eflected disorder and only you can change it. So get out there and start mingling. All of a sudden you will realize what you have been missing all this time. It won't be easy, but you can do it.
Just be aware that this also is a symtom of deppression. You might want to check that out too.

Anyone else having this same problem including me?

Carrie
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Interacting with needy social individuals
I have the same problem as Wozy and I've had an inability to relate to people since I was very young. That's not necessarily my problem since I've come to terms with it but I struggle to "fight" through the day with individuals who almost demand your attention or they become hostile. There is a divide almost black and white when it comes to individuals with a high social awareness and need and those with almost none. Should I be avoiding these people like the plague or should I continue to subject myself to these situations? It can be very depressing to interact with them. Much appreciated.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....