User Profile
I've been missing having a dog like crazy. I've decided that when I come back from my weekend away that I'm going to get two dogs. One of them is def going to be a pit. i love the breed. the other i can't decide on. i deal best with the bully breeds so i'm trying to decide if I should stick with another bully breed for the second dog or try to branch out... so far i've narrowed it down to four choices...

a) a french mastiff (think turner and hooch)
http://caninebreeds.bulldoginformation.com /dogue-bordeaux-french-mastiff.html

b)a bullmastiff
http://dogbreeds.bulldoginformation.com/bu llmastiff.html

c) a rottweiler

d) an american bulldog
http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Pag e.jsp?pageID=DBD&breedPage=amerbull.ht ml

I'm trying to figure out what breeds work well together... Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
american bullldog for sure! i rescued two of them a long time ago
they were 5 weeks old and i fell in love with one of them his name was bubba. he wa adorable

im a fan of the bully breeds too
ive got three pits Smile

mastiffs drool way to much lol

heres a few pics of bubba and his sister! i miss them Sad

lol heres bubba with my pit maxx

ok im done just wanted to share those with you lol
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
woah, you like big dogs. Wink

when I was little we had a rott and absolutely loved it. I was about 10 and my sis was 7 and it was great around us. Didn't every have to worry about it hurting either of us. I had a doberman mix too, but it died shortly after I got it from an accident. Really sweet dog.

I had a norwegian elkhound, that we had to put down today. I just want to cry. He was 16, which is amazingly old for those dogs anyways. He had been having problems walking because he has severe arthritis and since it's starting to get cold out, it was getting worse. And then yesterday, we heard him yelping and ran downstairs and he was standing with his head kinda tilted funny and front paw up. I think he had a stroke or a heart attack, because you could tell he couldn't see and he didn't know where he was or anything. It was really sad, but we expected it to be soon that we'd have to face it. It's not on your list of dogs, but he was a great one.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I really love the French Mastiff.......I think they are beautiful. But mastiffs definitely do drool. I have always been a large breed dog lover. I especially love when they have really big heads.

What about a Boxer, they are beautiful and they are great with children......
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I really really love rottweilers. A rottweiler has my vote!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
i'm sorry to hear that chrissy. i know how you feel. it's heartbreaking to lose a dog. they're like your children. and yes, i adore big dogs! the little ones annoy the sh*t out of me. too small, too noisy and in my personal experience (i was attacked by a bichon frise, growled at by a pekinese, bitten on the chin by a pug and chased home by a jack russell) they're too freaking aggressive. i've never met a big dog that i didn't like, tho!

the girlfriend, that pic of bubba in the grass is too cute!!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Shanyan wrote:
I really love the French Mastiff.......I think they are beautiful. But mastiffs definitely do drool. I have always been a large breed dog lover. I especially love when they have really big heads.

What about a Boxer, they are beautiful and they are great with children......

i'm shallow and i don't like the way they look. Laughing
|

Especially eHealthy
lol
kay i think american bulldogs are great
why not two pits? or amstaffs?

you can have one of mine lol
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
i did like having two pits... and they were tons of fun...

hey do you know any reputable breeders? I figure since you run a rescue home you may know. It's hard to find pits around here that weren't irresponsibly bred and i want to be sure that they were bred for the true temperament and not aggression...
|

User Profile
i like all of those dogs. They are just toooo big for me to handle. My rott used to walk me down the street instead of me walking him, lol.

the next kind I'm getting will be a cavalier king charles cocker spaniel. Smile They are soooo sweet.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I really love dogs and I know that a dogs behavior has a lot to do with irresponsible owners but I must say that I am a little leery of pits. I think that they are really cute but I am just nervous around them.......I know you guys are gonna tell that they are sweet hearts and I am sure that they are but I can help it.

I have owned a rotti and I absolutely loved her, she was such a good girl, and she was so gentle. Again that is another breed that has gotten a bad rap because of irresponsible owners......man people burn my ass...lol
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
yeah, with these types of dogs you do have to have a fairly dominant personality...

*edited to add* chrissy, i'm scared of everyone else's dog no matter what the breed. there are a lot of piss poor owners out there that are too lazy to train their dogs or have trained them to be aggressive. there's a lab two doors down from me that i hate with a passion. it's the most aggressive dog i've ever seen. it's always charging it's fence when i come out of my house and god forbid someone actually walk in the alley directly behind it. it tries to jump over the fence.
|

Especially eHealthy
tigresacanela24 wrote:

hey do you know any reputable breeders? I figure since you run a rescue home you may know. It's hard to find pits around here that weren't irresponsibly bred and i want to be sure that they were bred for the true temperament and not aggression...

no way i dont deal with breeders
striclty animal shelters and rescue organization
breeding is alot of the problem
they inbreed pits alot which cause them to be screwed up. most pit breeders breed moms and sons and sisters and dads and stuff like that.

but your best bet may be to get a little puppy from a rescue group
pits are hard dogs to egt adopted and so many of them are killed every day because no one wants them Sad
look into some rescues and see what they've got
you can do temperment checks and home visits first and stuff before you adopt.
do you want a pup or a grown dog? what age are you looking for? what area do you live in? i can pull up some rescues for ya if youd like!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
the_girlfriend wrote:
tigresacanela24 wrote:

no way i dont deal with breeders
striclty animal shelters and rescue organization
breeding is alot of the problem
they inbreed pits alot which cause them to be screwed up. most pit breeders breed moms and sons and sisters and dads and stuff like that.

but your best bet may be to get a little puppy from a rescue group
pits are hard dogs to egt adopted and so many of them are killed every day because no one wants them Sad
look into some rescues and see what they've got
you can do temperment checks and home visits first and stuff before you adopt.
do you want a pup or a grown dog? what age are you looking for? what area do you live in? i can pull up some rescues for ya if youd like!

i live in pittsburgh and i want a puppy because of my baby. when you get older rescue dogs they very often come with problems. We were thinking of adopting a rescue pit once. His name was yves and he loved me to death from minute one but he hated my husband. we told the rescue people about how aggressive he was towards my husband and then they told us that yves had a problem with men because he had been abused by them. i love dogs but i'm not expert enough to deal with something like that.
|

Especially eHealthy
yeah dont adopt an older rescue pit
chances are its been abused
get a puppy from a rescue!
ill look around and see what i can find!

also check out petfinder.com classified ads for pit bull puppies Smile
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
We had an English bull terrier and my mum worshipped her. she was pure white and called Candy. My mum mourned for weeks when she died of cancer. We had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier too called Tessa but she went to live with my uncle up north when Layla was born (very possesive)
|

Extremely eHealthy
I had a rotty when my daughter was young. She was the very best best dog. She was so gentle and kind. We got her as a pup. I have had dogs since and they have never compared to her. I seriously could have taken my berevement time when she passed on.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
i am a dog rescuer too but i have a passion for herding ones not big ones lol. deidra, the dog who i have had for four years was abused and neglected it was very hard when i got her because she was terrified and had some behavior issues lite attacking you heels when you walked (not ok!!!!!!) those are all gone now, it was alot of work but worth every minute. she is my baby. she is a australian cattle dog/australian sheperd mix and she practically bounces off the walls
|

Especially eHealthy
Shanyan wrote:
I really love dogs and I know that a dogs behavior has a lot to do with irresponsible owners but I must say that I am a little leery of pits. I think that they are really cute but I am just nervous around them.......I know you guys are gonna tell that they are sweet hearts and I am sure that they are but I can help it.

I have owned a rotti and I absolutely loved her, she was such a good girl, and she was so gentle. Again that is another breed that has gotten a bad rap because of irresponsible owners......man people burn my ass...lol

there are twice more attacks on people and other dogs by labs,and german shepards than pit bulls
Very Happy
infact there is not such thing as a pit bull
pit bulls consist of 8 different breeds of dogs
|

User Profile
tigresacanela24 wrote:
yeah, with these types of dogs you do have to have a fairly dominant personality...

*edited to add* chrissy, i'm scared of everyone else's dog no matter what the breed. there are a lot of piss poor owners out there that are too lazy to train their dogs or have trained them to be aggressive. there's a lab two doors down from me that i hate with a passion. it's the most aggressive dog i've ever seen. it's always charging it's fence when i come out of my house and god forbid someone actually walk in the alley directly behind it. it tries to jump over the fence.

Completely understood. I am very careful around other peoples dogs too. I think a dog's personality and behavior has soooo much to do with the owners and how they treat the pets. It's sad how some people actually treat these animals. It's so important, especially when children are around. Smile Good luck, I hope you get a great doggy. Smile
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...