Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Vaginal Contraceptive Film - does it work? effect condoms?

User Profile
has anybody ever tried this? i got a free sample and just wanted to hear some opiinions and expieriences with it before i tried? would anybody reccomend it? and does anyone know if it effects comndoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I'm pretty sure it's safe to use with condoms, in fact, I think they recommend you use it with condoms.

When I've used spermicide in general, my vagina gets really irritated. I don't use it anymore for that reason. That doesn't happen to everyone, though.
|

replied October 29th, 2007
Yes, it works with condoms. It is best utilized as a backup for your primary contraception method. I use it as a backup to my pill, and I have been very happy with it. I have not had any irritation issues, and it is not messy like other spermicides.
|

replied October 30th, 2007
I really liked using them. Easy and quick to insert and they are ten thousand times better than the 'gel' spermacide cause it doesnt leak out all over afterwards. Unfortunately they gave me very bad chronic UTIs...other than that I really liked them.
|

replied July 12th, 2008
VCF- Vaginal Contraceptive Films
Just as some research on new birth control methods, I ran across the VCF. I never try something new without research. My biggest question is with this being 94% effective, what are the major chances of becoming pregnant? Other than birth control pills and condoms, or abstinence, are spermicides like the VCF effective enough?
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It is generally suggested that you use any type of spermicide along with a barrier method (such as condoms or a diaphragm) because it's not incredibly effective on it's own. Put the two together, though, and it's pretty darn efefctive. Spermicide will lessen the chance of pregnancy happening if the barrier method fails (condom breaks).
|

replied July 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i use VCF most of the time along with the pill...it just really helps to ease my mind and i haven't had any problems with it! I definitely wouldn't count on that alone...but..along with the birth control I feel safe enough Smile

is it really 94% effective by itself??? i thought it was only like 75% effective when used alone
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2008
It is definitely not as high as 94% effective and should also be used in conjunction with another form on contraception.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
did anyone just let there boyfriend blow it in them without any birth control ? would u suggested it ? jw cuz im gonna try them and we both dont like condoms but some of the reviews i have read i dont really like
|

replied May 6th, 2013
Please tell me it worked!
Has anyone ever not let it dissolve for whole 15 minutes? The package says dissolves in seconds- so I didn't realize & had intercourse about 5 minutes after inserting- will inserting another 1 afterwards do any good?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...