Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

More Anti Time Strategies And Outlooks

Dispatches from the war on time,
from the Provision Fragrance Monestary
at the center of the antitime portal:

Time and consciousness are closely related. Is consciousness the enemy?
Some people have excess mental energy and like to go spelunking through dark conceptual chasms. Others have other things to do with a supposedly finite level of mental energy. For the latter, many ideas are dangerous, and the people learn accordingly to follow the straight and narrow, not venturing too far outside consensual reality. For the former group, the adventurous spelunkers, hardy minds that figure that they can handle a few "hits" from unreality, however, there can also be dangers. I suppose there are different level of danger, and I am considering myself one of the hardy souls, but across the decades I ran into a few things that were like riding a wild bull. I guess I know when to fall off, and how to eventually tame some of the wildest bulls. Maybe I let a couple of bulls roam free, untamed. Sometimes I even help along in the birthing of a real wild one. I think this is one of the wilder, more dangerous bulls:

I continue to have the intuition that time is out to get me. Maybe I'm using the common psychological feature of paranoia against something I conceptually think deserves it. You know how the CIA gets the accusation all the time, the aliens get the same accusations, I figured lets vent the entire psychotic force at time. Einstein said it is appropriate to think of time as a separate entity, apart from matter and energy. I see myself as one with all of matter and energy, and with all this energy I thought I ought to take on our formidable enemy, time.

And fighting against an enemy like time can sometimes seem like beating your head against a wall. Many sages and shamans have advocated appeasement, rather than conquering.

But at the Provision Fragrance Monastery, a comfortable retreat outside of time I use for planning the war against time, I decided to try to look at time from other perspectives, in order to better envelop the enemy. And one way to get novel perspectives on something as abstract as "time" is to use analogies.

So I thought of the analogy of a quasar jet, and the radio lobe, in astrophysics. The Aztec religion idealized a similar vision, the "cloud serpent", which was their personification of the smooth flow of the clouds. Inspired by the cloud-serpent, they went to war. As a modern-day Aztec Indian, I am treated to much more powerful "cloud serpents", far past the white clouds in the blue sky above me; these cloud serpents are the quasar jets in red-shift space, their origin is some of the brightest compact objects in the universe, and they ultimately "crash" and form "radio lobes", the turbulent endpoints of the jets, as they push forward on the "working surface", whatever it just crashed into.

So I thought about the quasar jet, of the cloud serpent moving slowly, carefully, gracefully, and also of the "disappearing mist of personality and action", as the "disappearing" jet nozzle of the present. Modulating the flow from the jet at the point of the nozzle, where the flow first hits the "ambient medium", is our action in "time". But we only really keep staring at that one point, where the flow comes out of the nozzle, and modulate that, as the rhythm and dance of the "present". But, drifting before it dissipates, (for 8 generations), the mist is affected more and more heavily by the darkness that the jet of life beams against.

Time, then, is at first this "present", or measuring the flow near the nozzle, and it makes sense that this was the first consciousness that would evolve, but a logical progression of excess mindfulness is a movement into the PAST, or a widening of the field outside the nozzle called "time".
As a shaman I decided to expand the consciousness a bit, upward into the PAST, to see how this expansion might benefit the object before traditional consciousness, consciousness of the present. As an Aztec shaman, the directive is to stand with a "wise face and a firm heart" for the short time we spend in the material world. The directive is a hint that this "firmness" of heart does not come naturally. The quasar jet of heart wavers in the oncoming dark turbulence, dampened by the shamanic directive, but always battling the oncoming pressure. Outside the layer of "present", the layer just outside the nozzle of the jet, which is better protected in consciousness, lie in wait the hungry consumers of the jet's numinosity, like a bunch of rhinos feeding at a trough!

How to protect the mist as it drifts upward, into the 'PAST'? Mediating, master of law, red robed emissary with sword in hand, consciousness of the RISING mist in between the moments, DON'T LET MOVEMENT OR THOUGHT OCCUR, or the dark above will destroy the flow, and the disturbance will proceed UPSTREAM.

Like the universe moving forward in time, our lives are affected by the darkness acting upon our ancestors. And so their problems are our problems - we must feed them, help them be still! As the "dark energy" grows directly along with the size of the PAST, and also the Periodic Table of elements grows in league with the PAST - more and more complex elements arising as now three generations of stars have taken in the previous generation's output and produced even more massive elements - the strong and central heart must begin to step forward and control it's own destiny. The harmonizing of the elements. The slowing down and stopping of the spinning circus. Stars are born, new elements form in denser crashes, new demons form in denser arrangements, therefore: dissipate crashes, mindfulness radiating outward into the PAST. The problem is the turbulent DARK, the answer is RADIATE, and nothing radiates like QUIET MYSTERY.

Buoyed by this ability to reach into my own past and control myself - more completely - from that perspective, I developed another analogy - this one of a lake. I didn't make this one up; apparently all the way back in the time of Plato, mankind was so ill-equipped to deal with the abstract concept of "time”, that Plato could get away with the analogy that rime was a river, moving forward, and we go along with it.

These days I have seen several different posts on the internet, where intuitively, people can’t see it as a river, because we can tell that the stuff along the bank isn’t really “going by” the way it does on a steamboat cruise down the Mississippi, it’s more like a lake of water, rising up along the banks. As the rain of time comes down, the lake continues to rise, progressively burying the lakeshore we know as “being”, or matter and energy.

And so I was using the analogy of time as a lake, and again trying to approach it as my enemy. I thought of Crater Lake in Oregon, the lake grows, but at the center of that volcanic ditch, so does a small island. Kind of like Hawaii in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, which is also volcanically rising out of the center of the “ring of fire”.

That central rise, which becomes a beautiful pristine island at the center of the lake, would represent the very beginning of what “time” began to cover, and so it would ordinarily be the deepest point. But the beauty is in the volcanic nature, which is like a quasar jet from the compact source object at the center of the earth, or the jet of numinous life into the field that is prey for the raging rhinos of “time”. The very center is the part to rise up, to overcome the initial flooding of the lake.

Returning this analogy to “time”, I figure if I learn to control my past, all 8 generations, and hold them still, as the lakeshore would control more and more of the submerged lakebed, I can use energy as will to force the center of the submerged lake to rise again, to become the island in Crater Lake, to raise up my own PAST out of the flooding lake of TIME, and communicate with earlier self from across the surface of the water!

Having taken this thought experiment this far, I began to control the rest of the lake, and once I could fight time from two fronts – the lake shore as well as the center – I proceeded to evaporate the lake, become “one” with myself again, and just proceed to calmly dry and crack as a single giant desert, immune to the rain of time.

Finally having vanquished my foe, at least within the gedanken/thought experiment, I felt free to contemplate what use going through “timeliness” might have for me, as all matter and energy. If I could come up with a good enough excuse for going through time, then I might be able to let it happen, without being so outraged by it.

I realized that time is a very effective encryption scheme. Encryption is the procedure where we take a piece of information, scramble it in some systematic way so no one along the transit route can read it, and then unencrypt it on the other end, at the target.

The desert of matter/energy, unmolested by an external “time”, is a simple entity, it is what it is, it is obviously just there. Maybe it is at risk of detection by intruders. If so, progressing through “time”, by letting the rain fill up the crater in the desert, and hiding under there, is a great encryption scheme. Everything seems like a separate piece, it seems like there are many different entities, rather than one big “ONE”. Anyone looking for the “ONE” at the surface won’t be able to see it.

Therefore, within time, the only way to see the “ONE”, the source, the matter/energy, is too look at EVERYTHING at once, an attitude the ancient Taoists called “utmost pervasion” – see everything, hear everything, know everything, the knowable and the unknowable, the seen and the unseen.

So I can’t afford to be superficial, because time has been encrypting my truth. I have to look beneath the surface, to make it all make sense.

-onderdonk
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 27th, 2007
Experienced User
Found This In a Book By Bruno Schulz
Just want to add, I recently found this (and several similar) excerpt from Bruno Schulz, The Street of Crocoldiles:

"Everyone kows that in a run of normal uneventful years that great eccentric, Time, begets sometimes other years, different, prodigal years which - like a sixth, smallest toe - grow a thirteenth freak month.

We use the word freak deliberately, because the thirteenth month only rarely reaches maturity, and like a child conceived late in its mother's life, it lags behind in growth; it is a hunchback month, a half-wilted shoot, more tentative than real.

What is at fault is the senile intemperance of the summer, its lustful and belated spurt of vitality. It sometimes happens that August has passed, and yet the old thick trunk of summer continues by force of habit to produce and from its moldered wood grows those crab-days, weed-days, sterile and stupid, added as an afterthought; stunted, empty, useless days - white days, permanently astonished and quite unneccessary. They sprout, irregular and uneven, formless and joined like the fingers of a monster's hand, stumps folded into a fist.

There are people who liken these days to an apocrypha, put secretly between the chapters of the great book of the year; to palimpsests, covertly included between its pages; to those white, unprinted sheets on which eyes, replete with reading and the remembered shapes of words, can imagine colors and pictures, which gradually become paler and paler from the blankness of the pages, or can rest on their neutrality before continuing the quest for new adventures in new chapters.

Ah, that old, yellowed romance of the year, that large, crumbling book of a calendar! It lies forgotten somewhere in the archives of Time, and its content continues to increase between the boards, swelling incessantly from the garrulity of months, from the quick self-perpetuation of lies, drivel, and of dreams which multiply in it. Ah, wehn writing down these tales, revising stories about my father on the used margins of the text, don't I , too, surrender to the secret hope that they will merge imperceptible with the yellowing pages of that most splendid, moldering book, that they will sink into the gentle rustle of its pages and become absorbed there?"

-Bruno Schulz, The Street of Crocodiles
|

replied October 28th, 2007
Experienced User
Zen
I agree that time is the enemy. For now I'm trying to conquer it by enlightenment. My body will die but my mind will be alive. For the time being, I am the walking dead. The Western mindset is not helping me. Time is a one-way street in Western society. Then you die and go to heaven or hell. Although I don't believe in reincarnation, I'd rather come back and continue the work. Or end up somewhere in the middle between heaven and hell. If you go too high you will fall like Icarus. Better learn to be grounded. The trick is to spread the present moment and envelop yourself in it. Also, let time "neither come nor go".
|

replied November 3rd, 2007
Time Is a Friend
You definitely have an enemy but you don't seem to know who he is. You say you hate time but what would you think if you were out of it? For example, would it be good to have 3 minutes left to exist? I think what you really hate is death -- now that's normal. As for me, I want as much time as I can have.
|

replied November 4th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Time Is a Friend
How can time be a friend if you're constantly running out of it?
|

replied November 5th, 2007
Okay, time may not be a friend, but people always want more of it anyway.
|

Experienced User
want more of it? only for as long as you think you are located inside your body. typical outlook early in life, but there are books in every bookstore in america willing to educate you out of thinking that. once you are everywhere, across all space, you come face to face with one thing: time. eliminating time would eliminate life, but if you are centered beyond life, beyond time, then eliminating the shell of confusion can seem like a good idea. time and space a shell, growing the spirit, but as the birds say, es cape-driven cracks complete the egg
-onderdonk
|

Experienced User
Wanting more time is like wanting more poison... You're just feeding the machine, and you will dissipate in that same machine.

Religion is a way to 1. extend time: the christian couched in unilateral teleology hopes to live in heaven for ever; 2. annihilate time: the zen buddhist strives to step out of time and into nirvana. The problem with Christianity is that you're riding on your good deeds, and you're riding very high, up in heaven. What if something happens? You might fall. And you're up very high. And hell always exists for you, no matter how high up away from it you are. If you practice meditation and unity (no duality of heaven and hell) you can be safe. You don't need to get away, far up high, but you stay with your breath, right here.
|

Philo wrote:
Wanting more time is like wanting more poison... You're just feeding the machine, and you will dissipate in that same machine.

Religion is a way to 1. extend time: the christian couched in unilateral teleology hopes to live in heaven for ever; 2. annihilate time: the zen buddhist strives to step out of time and into nirvana. The problem with Christianity is that you're riding on your good deeds, and you're riding very high, up in heaven. What if something happens? You might fall. And you're up very high. And hell always exists for you, no matter how high up away from it you are. If you practice meditation and unity (no duality of heaven and hell) you can be safe. You don't need to get away, far up high, but you stay with your breath, right here.

so,your saying heaven and hell are bipolar?
|

Experienced User
jungjedi wrote:
so,your saying heaven and hell are bipolar?

Well put. It's definitely unhealthy.

There's something psychologically deterministic about duality. It seems to be a common human characteristic, but it can be unlearned. As you know, small children do not differentiate between object and subject.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Experienced User
i just think that i have gotten alot out of my journeys to the lower world, and to the upper world, that there are beings there that communicate there in ways they just don't do around here. so for me, heaven and hell are useful places to go. thing is, if i didn't have the grounding at the center, deeper than time can go, then i wouldn't feel free to go so far up and so far down; i only feel free to be so crazy 'cause i know how to get back, with a bunji cord that goes right to the center.
-onderdonk
|

Experienced User
Three Or Four At the Table, May Have Esteemed That Which I H
Three or four at the table, may have esteemed that which I have said, not for a paradox. but for an adox, or flat absurdity. Several seem to have little patience with the medical ignorance and shallow paradox-mongering that has greeted my glorification of the role of pre institutionalized psychotics in modern urban life.

A paradox is a proposition really or apparently contradictory to a commonly received idea. It is, as its name indicates, a conceit contrary to opinion, but not contrary to reason. A position contrary to reason is a paralogism. The moderators here speak often of paradoxes with such scorn or detestation, that a simple reader would take a paradox either for felony or some other heinous crime, whereas perhaps a judicious reader knows that a paradox is an opinion not yet generally received.

I try to prove us this wonderful, strange paradox, this opinion inopinable, and I am called a paradox-monger, loving to hold strange, yea dangerous opinions.

A distinguished lover of liberty of another time said, with apparent paradox, that the quantity of liberty in any country is exactly equal to the quantity of restraint. There's the apparent paradox of the pur-blind, or those who can scarcely see a small object at arm's length, yet discovering those that are very remote. Modern pop-music is edgy, keyed up, there is an air of crisis and paradox; but my posts are treated as the most gross and massy paradox that ever did violence to reason and religion.

Perhaps the only immortal paradoxes are the divine paradoxes called Beatitudes, for each generation sees their truth, but as no one ever acts upon them, their paradox comes with perpetual freshness to every age.

The water-mole, or paradox, also abounds in all the rivers and ponds.

Let no man then condemn this Paradox opinion, though paradox it may seem, and out of the road of common belief.

-King Onderdonk
|

i too have felt that i could slip the bounds between heven and hell between trickery and devinity.ayuaska has helped me loose these bounds.to make the endless permutations between borders.and maybe luck will turn in my favor.good fortune towards my blind aimless wonderings.to slip the veil between this world and the many worlds that bound our ambitions
|

Experienced User
You're right when you say "slip the veil between this world and the many worlds that bound our ambitions", for we get what we predestine ourselves to get, we become our ambitions. I fear to think what strict materialists achieve in the other world. Do they go to garbage like their objects?

What is ayuaska? As long as you're true in your search, luck WILL turn in your favour.

Paradoxes abound in Zen Buddhism. I feel my existence is a paradox, and I have to live up to it. I am far away from living up to my paradox. I am scholarly, time-bound, and way too excited by myself. But I see my paradox from far away. Zen Buddhists use boredom to slip into enlightenment. I ride on excitement and exacerbation.

As to the official opinion (moderators, etc.), it is the official opinion. I know that I'm sick for a reason deeper than you can imagine.
|

replied November 9th, 2007
Experienced User
I'm sitting at home and not doing much, mostly wandering what to do with myself and not coming up with anything. Bought a bottle of wine but I don't even want to drink it. Getting depressed about not finding any meaning in things, in my life or in my place in the world. I'm forgetting about the beauty of the paradox of existence. I guess we are conditioned to attend to shallower things in life in the first place, and only then to higher things.
|

replied November 11th, 2007
i to am bored and tempted to retreat into some delusional world
|

replied December 9th, 2007
Philo wrote:
How can time be a friend if you're constantly running out of it?

Is everything an enemy then? If time is an enemy because it eventually dissapears, isn't everything an enemy?

Don't think of Time running out, think of it as you using time to your advantage.
|

replied December 9th, 2007
Experienced User
Duzz wrote:
Don't think of Time running out, think of it as you using time to your advantage.

That's like shooting yourself in the eye to "see" how a gun works.
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Philo wrote:

As to the official opinion (moderators, etc.), it is the official opinion. I know that I'm sick for a reason deeper than you can imagine.

Oh philo, I'm hurt!!

J/K. Smile

I have no doubt that there might exist a cause for your illness other than the scientifically proven ones.

However- If science has been proven to help, why not turn to it also? Why would we have been given the gift of science and technology and medicine if we weren't meant to use them to help us function in life?
|

replied December 10th, 2007
Experienced User
Georgia59 wrote:
Philo wrote:

Oh philo, I'm hurt!!

J/K. Smile

I have no doubt that there might exist a cause for your illness other than the scientifically proven ones.

However- If science has been proven to help, why not turn to it also? Why would we have been given the gift of science and technology and medicine if we weren't meant to use them to help us function in life?

OK, I didn't really mean you, Georgia59, but SOME moderators. Those who try to exterminate some personal expressions/explanations. This also applies to some (or most) doctors. They don't believe evidence when it contradicts their paradigms.
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....