Medical Questions > Cancer > Liver Cancer Forum

Liver Cancer Lead to Kidney Failure?

I'm 17 years old and my dad has liver cancer. Ever since I was very little, my dad had a bloated belly with fluid inside. Over these past 10+ years his belly button popped out and got bigger and bigger until it was removed through surgery several years ago.

I do not know when he got the cancer, but around 3 years ago, he went to China for a liver transplant. His bloated belly never got better though. At first, there was no cancer found in him, but recently on November 2006, cancer was found and from my understanding, the cancer had spread to other parts carried by the fluid that makes his belly so big, so it's everywhere now. I don't know when he started, but occasionally, he would go to the hospital to have some of the fluid drained.

He went through several treatments and for several months, he was bald. Last Month, he was undergoing a new treatment, but on Saturday last week, his belly was so bloated that he went to emergency center. He had 3 packs/bottles(?) drained and there was a lot of blood. Few days ago, I was dragged out of school to go to the hospital and found out that he had a kidney failure and that over the past 24 hours his condition became really bad.

I think his kidney is bleeding or something. His belly is getting more and more bloated, but the doctors are not draining the fluid because according to my brother, if they allow the pressure to build up, it can stop the bleeding.

Two days ago, some doctors came in the room and they were talking about something to do with comfort. Either they stop all treatments and focus on pain relieving and let him past away peacefully or continue to fight the liver disease or kidney whatever. Obviously they were implying that my dad is going to die no matter what did do so why not let him leave painlessly. I asked my mom today and she says that there is nothing else they can do to cure it.

My dad is being taken cared of at UC San Francisco. I'm being told that my dad is going to die through many implications, but I don't believe that my dad is going to die because I have faith in him. Is there anything you guys can think of that might help cure my dad?

-My dad is around 55 years old.
-He's diabetic.
-Has liver cancer(before liver transplant) even though he went through liver transplant three years ago. (There's a suspicion that something might've gone wrong during the surgery. Maybe by accident some fluid carrying cancer seeped through/dripped inside my dad)
-Liver cancer affecting his kidney causing kidney failure and internal bleeding.

Please help. Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Do you know if your father was suffering from viral hepatitis B and C infections?
Was he consuming too much alcohol?
I guess he had cirrhosis, disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue and that leads to abnormalities in the liver's functions.
This can cause internal bleeding, kidney failure, mental confusion, coma, body fluid accumulation.
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Do you know if your father was having viral hepatitis B and C infections?
Was he consuming too much alcohol?
I guess he had developed through years a disease called cirrhosis in which normal liver cells are replaced with scar tissue.
This leads to abnormalities of liver functions, causing internal bleeding, kidney failure, mental confusion, coma, body fluid accumulation, frequent infections, yellowing of the skin, itching, and fatigue.
|

replied May 28th, 2010
I know this post comes a little late, but this is for anyone who may be researching later on. I have read about a few ways to halt internal bleeding. People have tried them and they have worked, but they are not scientifically proven nor guaranteed methods. Despite this, I believe that in situations like this, no matter how small the hope may be it will always be better to try it than to doubt it-for yourself and for the patient.

One method is to use cayenne peppers.

This is a simple method and is worth trying because even if it doesn't work it won't aggravate the situation. The site says that you can mix it with water and honey and lemon. I would suggest to replace normal honey with manuka honey-preferably with a UMF of 20+ as this has been known to fight internal diseases such as ulcers and cancers and also boosts the immune system to help recovery. However, the manuka honey will have no effect if you mix it with too hot or boiling water, so make sure the water has cooled down a little before you mix it.

I hope that this information proves to be useful for someone. Please don't ever lose hope when fighting a disease, because the patient will always require your faith and your strength.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...