Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Brain tumor and surgery for large hematome - dad can\'t talk!

User Profile
This question is regarding my father. My father is 61 years old and he was diagnosed with a brain tumor, he had successful operation and it was removed. The neurosurgeon said that he woke up and was healthy and making jokes with the doctor for about 2 hours, when he suddenly passed out. The neurosurgeon noticed a large hematome (dont know how its written in english) above his left ear and had to operate again on him. My question now is, my dad is in ICU for 3 weeks now and has woken up but he is coughing up ALOT of sticky secretion (he is a smoker for over 40 years), but the problem is that he cannot talk. I went today to the hospital to see him for 15 secs. because the doctor said he was worried that he cant talk and he thought that maybe if he saw me he would say something. I saw my father and he only stared at me and i could see his adams apple move, i think he wanted to cry. The doctor saw this and told me to leave. I really dont know anything about this can someone help?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2007
Neurological Disorders Answer A3405
It's not clear whether the cerebral bleeding is due to the tumor or surgical operation itself. In addition, with the information you've provided, it's difficult to know whether the speech loss (aphasia) is due to the tumor itself or bleeding.

There are many possible causes for these symtpoms. The prognosis for your father's recovery will depend upon the nature of the tumor, its location in the brain and surgical complications. It seems that the doctors in that hospital are giving their best to help your father.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.