Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Chuy Is Super Small!! (Page 1)

User Profile
This is seriously stressing me out. When Chu was born he was freaking huge and now he's seriously small. I know it's ridiculous for me to be worried about this and if he was a girl I wouldn't even bat an eyelash. But he's a boy and I just have this whole stereotype thing in my head that I need to get past but can't. Plus it doesn't help that none of the men in my family are small. I thought Chu would be like the rest of the men in my family, they're all tall and solidly built. Chuy is almost 1 1/2 and he's only 31 inches and 26 pounds. He's in the freaking 4th percentile for height and the 5th for weight. Ack!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I'm sorry Kay Sad Alyvia is 14 and a half months old, and I'm pretty sure she weighs the same as she did at her 1 year check-up - 17 pounds. She learned how to walk and she's been a tireless ball of energy ever since. I'm so nervous for her doctor visit coming up... I'm scared of what they'll say to me. I can definitely relate!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
I'm sorry Kay Sad Alyvia is 14 and a half months old, and I'm pretty sure she weighs the same as she did at her 1 year check-up - 17 pounds. She learned how to walk and she's been a tireless ball of energy ever since. I'm so nervous for her doctor visit coming up... I'm scared of what they'll say to me. I can definitely relate!

Alyvia is perfect!!!! I'll beat up any doctor that says anything to you about her!!
|

Especially eHealthy
chu is perfect too!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Laughing bridget.

I get it, I seriously do, it's just that knowing it and accepting it are two different things. I'm seriously tempted to lie about his age half the time. I don't tho and then people look at him like they feel sorry for him. Then I get angry but (I know this is horrible to say) I feel sorry for him too. I remember how the short boys used to be teased when I was in school...
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I get pitying looks in the waiting room and I just want to smack them. I've seen 6 month olds that are bigger than Alyvia. I try not to worry about it, but I can't help it. I obsess over how much she eats, when she eats, if she's hungry, if she nursed too much and has a full tummy, if I should deny her a boob until after she eats... it's literally all I can think about.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I agree Chu is perfect! Who knows, within the next few months, years whatever he may just bulk right up! Wic tells me all the time how short Kaylee is for her age & I'm ready to tell them to blow it out their @sses!

Alyvia is perfect too Laura!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Kind of sounds like me. I constantly worry about how much he's eating because I want him to gain a little weight, then I worry that I'll feed him to much and he'll end up short and fat. I'm a little nuts with it though, because I often say a prayer that he'll grow. Embarassed
|

Especially eHealthy
girl dont feel bad.

Jacob is 26 pounds and 36 inches. Hes tall and slender. ALL muscle tho. His pedi is AMAZED at his muscle mass. The lil man can do pull-ups!

Chu is perfect, dont u worry. As long as he gains between 4-6 pounds between 12-24 months its NORMAL. Growing slows down durring the second year.
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i can relate. william has always been very small. at his 1 year checkup he was only 22lbs! i doubt hes put on much now. the health visitor isnt worried because hes always been like this, i wouldnt worry, chu is perfect
|

Extremely eHealthy
The whole percentile thing really irks me. I think Chuy is perfect. He's a healthy boy. He will probably go through a growth spurt and tower over the other kids.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I'm going to work really hard on not letting it get to me anymore. I don't want to let something idiotic like that interfere with enjoying Chu while he's still this young.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hannah was only 17 pounds at her last appointment, and she, too was a really big baby. I worried for a while, but she knows better than I do how much to eat. I gave up worrying about how much she weighs when she started walking and running all over the house! LOL He's the perfect weight and size he was meant to be. Look at it like this...at least our small children are easier to carry, right??

My husband is a really small guy. He's 5' 9" and only weighs about 140 pounds if he's soaking wet. So I am sure Chu will find himself a slender lady some day and maybe they can go open an elite health club some where or something!

Don't fret too much though. I understand--I think a mother's job is just to feed people. My 6 year old asked me the other day why I always feed people when they come to my house and I told her that's what mothers do. "Food Therapy" or something. It must be an inborn trait linked to hormones!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I know what you mean. Layla has always been big for age but Logan is SOOOOO skinny. I'm always worrying that he is eating enough but he eats the same as Layla. It's strange how a brother and sister can be so different
|

Extremely eHealthy
Rowan is a huge baby, it hurts me just to carry her around. Infact, sometimes I worry she is too big. She is in 12-18 month clothes now and 9months old.

Don't worry though, babies are diverse and that is okay!
|

Especially eHealthy
K, Oni and Chu are almost IDENTICAL in height and weight.

Oni's 28lbs though. But I mean COME ON!!!! LOL! You're not the HUGEST person I've come across!!

I love you K!! And I LERVE you're personality!!!!

Chu is PERFECT!!

People aren't staring because they're concerned...they're staring because they're ENVIOUS!!!

Get on YAHOO !**@!!!!!!

Oh, and the whole "percentile" thing can lick my !**@!! Oni's Dr. has NEVER told me a percentile becasue "it's just another thing to worry a parent."

Reguardless of what "percentile" babies are, they're HEALTHY!!!!

Sarah

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
CHU IS ONE OF THE MOST GORGEOUS BOYS I KNOW. besides, it doesnt mean a thing that he is small now. he can have a growth spurt at any time. I wouldnt worry at all.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Sarah!!! I haven't been on yahoo a lot lately because I'm going back and forth between the houses. I have six days to pack up my house here and get into the new one. It ain't gonna happen! Laughing The plumber hasn't even finished the soil stack yet!
|

replied October 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
NOOO!!! I see you're on today, and I tried to message you back, but it ain't goin so swell!! LOL!!

Sorry about your house takin forever...effing contractors!!!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Sounds like Nate. He is four years old and just hit the 32 pound mark. He was not even 30 pounds a few months prior to his 4th birthday. He is also relatively short for his age as well. I am worried as well. My goodness, his dad is 6'6 and Nate is taking after my genes. I am even more worried because Brian is at the 97 - 99%ile for length and probably at the 75th%ile for weight. He is already taking after his dad.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....