Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

I Smell Smoke - Sinus infection or what - Solutions (Page 1)

I smell smoke and I am a non-smoker and have never smoked and no one around me smokes. No one else smells this. I just started having this problem last week. It is aweful! It is so strong sometimes I can almost taste it. I have had a cough since May and my lung x-rays are all clear. I have been told it is a sinus infection and have had steroids and 3 rounds of antibiotics, 1 - Levaquin and 2 z pacs. Any solutions? Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rachaelrenae
|

replied October 23rd, 2007
Smell In the Home
It's possible that the problem you're having is resident in your home. It's possible that the actual smoke smell can get into the home and remain there for a long time. I'm afraid that the best you can really do is to replace the carpet and re-paint all the walls. This is what I had to end up doing to my home because the previous owners were smokers and had pets in their home that they left over many days. As you can guess, the area was quite a mess.

Another thing that has helped out my household quite a bit with taking care of this problem are air purifiers. Particularly the Polarized Media Filters. I haven't really heard of a better type, and I've researched them quite a bit to get rid of how bad the air was in my house. The best place for those are on www.airlifeone.com, for price anyway. They've got good information on what they do too.

The best kind of paints can be found at most hardwares, I'd suggest an odor blocker type of paint. This is really all I can think of for what we did to our home.
|

I Smell Smoke
This is not only in my home! It is outside, in the office, church, etc. Like I posted, no one else smells it, and they cannot smell it on me! No one has ever smoked in our home and as far as painting, etc, we just did that a couple of months ago, new carpet too. This smell has just started about a week ago. From prior posts, I have determined that it happens with possible sinus infection and maybe taking the zpac for the infection, but I need to know how to get rid of it! Thanks for trying though!
|

replied July 30th, 2011
I smell cigarette smoke at work & home - where there is none
Oh my - thank goodness for the Internet!

A few months ago, I smelled cigarette smoke at my desk at work. I asked if anyone else smelled it. No one did. I felt like I was nuts and told myself to ignore it and maybe it would go away.

It happens a few more times over the course of 6 months or so.

Then 2 days a go I got a WICKED toothache, or what I thought was a toothache. I hadn't been feeling great for a couple weeks but not enough to miss work or anything.

I rushed to the dentist. X-rays ...nothing! He said it had to be something else. The pain was outrageous! It was my gums, teeth, cheek, all the way up to my ear!

Went to the doctor. Sinus infection. Says to take zithromax for 5 days.

I feel such relief that it appears that the cigarette smoke I've been smelling may very well be related to this sinus infection that's been lurking.

I hope the antibiotics will cure both! Thanks for talking about the problem. .... I thought I was halucinating.

Northern NJ
|

I apologize...I didn't realize that it was more than outside the home. I do agree with the sinus infection being a possibility. I've done a lot of reading on this and I was going to suggest that when I first read that you were smelling it outside as well, but I saw that you already know about it.

I'm sorry that I couldn't help.
|

Thanks
Thanks anyway! If you hear of any other info, I would appreciate the input!
|

Exposed
to heavy smoke 6 days ago at a chain resteraunt and now I can't quit smelling smoke. Plus I got the flu a few days later. Had a sore throat the day I dined and I feel my compromised immunities were not able to handle all that smoke. And somehow the tar/tobacco in the air has adhered inside my nasal passages/cavities/follicles etc.....
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2007
Is there any moment, evyonnec, when you DON'T notice the symptoms? the smell?
|

replied October 25th, 2007
I Smell Car Exhaust Fumes
Does anyone else smell car exhaust? For the past 3 days now, I constantly smell it. If I cover my nose with my shirt and breathe, I don't smell the exhaust. I should also say that in the past year I developed an aversion to the smell of plastic, the kind that sandwich bags are made of. It got to the point where I can no longer eat foods that are kept in these bags. I don't know if this relates to my newest situation of smelling exhaust that no one else can smell, but I thought maybe someone else may relate to my situation. I don't know what to do about this and am hoping someone else can help.
Thanks!!!
|
Users who thank bkauntie64 for this post: shadow54 

replied October 4th, 2011
!!
when my body is at an overload point/ sensitive to lights and smells, i can taste plastic like i'm made of it when i'm exposed to it. including the ziploc type bags. jsyk, you're not crazy - you're just hypersensitive/possibly with mcs and environmental sensitive. this post made me smile because i totally get it. thanks.
|

replied August 16th, 2012
I smell exhaust fumes when there are no fumes!
I see that this was posted back in 2007. About 2 years ago I started suffering from the same thing. By carefully watching what I was doing, I noticed that when I chewed certain types of gum, it would trigger these "smells". I'm thinking its caused by a chemical in the gum. Maybe a type of non-sugar sweetener.
|

replied May 1st, 2008
I smell cigarette smoke
Last year was the first time I smelled cigarette smoke out of the blue when no one around me was smoking. I asked other people if they smelled it, and they said, "no". I smelled it at all times of the day. I thought it may have happened because I had gone to a restaurant that was not smoke free. It went away after a month or two, and now it is back again. When I looked on the net last year, I couldn't find any mention of it, and when I asked my doctor about it, she had never heard anything like it. Well, it is back! I don't seem to notice it first thing in the morning, but it comes at some point in the day and lasts. One post I read said that it could be allergies. I thought I might have a brain tumor! It certainly seems like the olafactory sense part of the brain is out of kilter. If anyone has had this happen to them and you know anything about it, please post a response.
|

replied June 11th, 2017
Do you drink Diet soda? I feel that is what's causing the smoke smell for me. I hope that helps!
|

replied October 5th, 2008
"I smell smoke" Evyonnec
I know this is a year later, but I'm wondering if your problem resloved? What did it turn out to be? I thought it was strange that your GP didn't order a CT scan or send you to an ENT.
I'm interested to know how things turned out for you.

tammyk
|

replied December 30th, 2008
similar
I have had similar symptoms. I have been having terible pain in my left side under my ribs.
I continually sense what smells like infection and constantly smell what reminds me of dust on a heater that has just been turned on. I have had many tests, but they are all negative. Colonoscopy,Chest CT, Lung CT, Endoscopy. All have been negative. I am at the end of my rope. I haven't been to work for 2 months and since they haven't found anything, my disability isn't covered. I will probably loose my job and insurance soon if they don't find anything.
|

replied February 9th, 2009
smell
have you been checked for acid reflux. I get this occasionally and i think it's stuff from your stomach reaching into your sinuses.
|

replied February 17th, 2009
same thing
the same thing has been happening to me. it has been going on for about two years now. i have been diagnosed with a sinus infection. i am very depressed and have no clue what to do. i have lost friends because this and i have a strange feeling people think im crazy
|

replied March 9th, 2009
smell smoke
I started experiencing the same thing within the past 2 to 3 months and it drove me crazy. I could put a freshly laundered towel to my face or my hands and smell fabric softener or my lotion and soap. I realized that I didn't smell it when I first got up in the mornings, nor during the weekend. But once I start smelling it, I smell it for the remainder of the day. I don't smoke and nobody smokes at work or in our building so I decided to try to pinpoint when it starts. I felt certain that it had to be starting at work or during my lunch break since it wasn't happening during the weekends. I take a few medications first thing in the morning and an aspirin at night, but I didn't think it was tied to any of those since the timing didn't seem to match. Tuesday morning of last week I began journaling everything I ate, drank, smelled, lotions I used and when, what time I turned my space heater on, etc. Shortly after I drank a canned Diet Dr. Pepper, I began to smell smoke, and continued to smell it for the remainder of the day. I usually have one in the late morning and another late in the afternoon. Since I really believe that was the link I didn't drink another one all week and I haven't smelled smoke since then. I just started drinking Diet Dr Pepper in the past few months because they along with a few other soft drinks are furnished free at work so the timing coincides with the timeframe that I've been experiencing this. I don't know if it might be the Aspartame or what, but I feel certain that this has been resolved for me. I plan to post this to other sites where I've read similar posts.
|
Users who thank rachaelrenae for this post: smallwize1 

replied July 30th, 2011
Hi Rachelrenae. I found your post and am looking for solutions too.

Unfortunately, I do not drink any soft drinks and avoid artificial sweetners as a rule.

I'm curious if the problem has stayed away?
|

replied June 11th, 2017
You nailed it! Thank you for being so perceptive. I too finally figured out what the smell was linked from. After returning from a vacation where I didn't smell the smoke smell and was so happy it was gone. When I was on the airplane returning home I was served a Diet Coke and I immediately smelled the smoke again. I realized I hadn't had a diet soda the week I was on vacation. I will miss Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Coke but won't miss the smell of smoke! I wonder if sugar-free gum might be the culprit too. Glad you found relief!
|

replied April 13th, 2009
smell smoke
I have smelled smoke for about 2 months. I have been researching this on the internet. I have found the problem. Downy Ultra fabric softner. Get rid of it... I wore brand new clothes today and had no smoke smell. I don't smoke, I am in a smoke free house. There is some chemical in the downy that some people cannot tolerate. The chemical gives off a smoke smell after wearing the clothing for a while. I read this on the internet and went to the laundry room and there it was. Downy ultra, I started using this about 2 months ago. Wear some new clothes that have not been washed with downy and see if the smoke smell goes away. This should help those of you using downy. The others might need medical attention. Good luck! i am smoke free. I thought I was going crazy and i also thought this was a crazy idea, but it works.
|

replied July 30th, 2011
smell smoke - I'm searching for solutions, but I don't use that brand of fabric softner; in fact I use very little of the cheapest brand to save $$. It's weird, but my problem has been intermittent although I use fabric softner pretty consistently.
|

replied May 27th, 2009
Smelling exhaust
I often wondered if anyone else ever smelled that. It reminds me of diesel exhaust. Is it some kind of cellular level exhaust? I chew sugar free gum and drink diet soda. Could it be from those? It is most unpleasant but those around me don't smell it.
|

replied June 11th, 2017
Yes! I think it is something in sugar free products! I too experience the smoke smell and finally linked it to drinking Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Coke! Good luck!
|

replied June 1st, 2009
Smelling Exhaust Fumes
I smell exhaust fumes that nobody else can smell also. Just tonight I did a test. I breathed more deeply and I did not smell it. It seems to be related to my shallow breathing. I do have certain places and times that I smell it more and it is when I am relaxed and breathing less deeply. It is really bothersome and sometimes makes me a little sick when smelling it.
|

replied July 3rd, 2011
hi, just wondering if you figured out what the car exhaust smell was? i had a really bad cold about 3 months ago and lost my sense of smell and taste. i have slowly recovered my sense of taste, but my sense of smell has not recovered hardly at all. for about a week i have been smelling car exhaust also. it is driving me crazy. i smell it everywhere, i used a saline nasal cleanser but it is till here. please let me know what you found out. i am at my wits end. i have not been to the dr. yet but am going to make an appt. thinking it may be a sinus infection. thank you. anita
|

replied June 5th, 2009
i smell smoke like cigerettes whenever i'm using a laptop at work or at home???
|

replied June 11th, 2009
cigarette smoke smell
I too have been smelling cigarette smoke for the past 2-3 months but only at work. No one else seems to smell this. Very frustrating. Perhaps the type of coffee served here or the filtered water is doing it. I am going to stop drinking the coffee to start and see if that helps. I do not have this problem at home or elsewhere. Thanks to everyone for posting this problem. I thought I was alone.
|

replied July 11th, 2009
Car Diesel Exhaust Fumes
I first started to smell diesel exhaust fumes about 6 months ago. After about 2 weeks it went but has now returned. I dont have this odd smell when I get up in the mornings it sort of just happens about mid day or when I think 'oh I dont have the odd smell ' The first time I got it I had just got over a really bad cold and again this time I have just had a mild cold been over it about 10 days and wondered if it could be linked to that. Any advice would be really appreciated.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....