ok im pregnant, in the year 2007 i had sex with 5 people i got an HIV testin june it came back negative. i seen a movie and it scared me. i hear that the virus will hide in your body for an entire year befor it shows up on a test. i have been tesed once every 6 months since i was active, which was 2004. so, my question is, do you think i should get a retest just to be safe, or do you think the test in june is good enough since all the other ones were negative?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
When did you have your last unprotected sex intercourse?

Have you been engaged in behavior that can transmit the virus after june 2007?

What kind of test has been performed to check for HIV?
|

replied October 24th, 2007
last unproteted sex was today, but that was to my current boyfriend and the father of my child, i know hes clean he's been tested. i got a blood test, the doctors said it was fine. if it helps the first guy this year was in january, second and third in february, the forth in march and my current in april. it sounds really bad i know, but i got out a long relationship and messed up. the relationship (which was the man in january) i KNOW he had nothing, the first man in february i didnt use a condm with, so its always a possability, the second man in late february i used a condom with, and the man in march i didnt use one. if im correct the man in january and the guys in february would have been on the test i had done in late june right?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Almost all people infected with HIV are developing HIV antibodies in their bloodstream within 3 months of their infection, but in some people 6 months after infection will be needed to develop an answer to HIV virus (antibodies detected and measured with HIV test)
You had your last unprotected sex in march so to see if there is an infection, testing should be done six months after that month. That means that man in January can be on june's test, but man in february and man in march can be and there is also possibility not to be on that test ( as I mentioned antibodies can be in bloodstream after 3 or for more sure after 6 months)
Can you make a retest just to ease your mind ?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2007
I'd suggest a retest, too.

Sometimes clinics offer free tests ... do you have a place to go?
|

replied October 27th, 2007
i can get tested i went to the doctors and they said since iwas pregnant my immune system wasnt at its highest and since i have 2 types of hpv from befor i was even sexually active, he said it would have showed up probly because my immune system wasnt that strong at this exact point. also i got it in july i thought it was june, so 4 out of 6 months would probly show he said im probly fine and only people with very strong immune systems should retest. what do you guys think
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It make sense, but if I was you I'll do another test.
You need facts, not consumption to ease your mind.
|

replied November 12th, 2007
Re: Hiv? Should I Get Retested?
Go for a PCR test 3 months from your last exposure.......that will put ur worries to rest.

A -ve PCR test after 3 months of exposure is full n final, as a PCR test actually looks for the virus rather than the antibodies.
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The HIV antibody test is the most commonly used test, and generally provides the most reliable results.
PCR test usually gives accurate results within three weeks of infection.
Not all clinics will offer this test, and you may have to pay for it.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....