Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

6 Week Old Mucus And Straining to Breathe

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
i have a 6 week old son Julian. He seems to always be stuffed up and making gargeling noises..it seems like there is something in the back of his throat. This has been going on since he was about 11 days old. i took him to the hospital twice thinking he had a cold. but was discharged and told he was fine. It really concerns me i cant sleep at night because i hear him breathing. i used to nasal aspirator but my midwife said the more mucus i expell the more Julian will make...
so confused anyone else going through this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Have you taken him to his pediatrician?
|

yes he has seen two different ones
|

User Profile
Supporter
I had this problem with Kyleigh right after she was born. The pediatrician told me not to worry because if you think about it, the baby has been basically swimming for 9 months. There is still stuff lodged up in there and it takes time to come out.
Kyleigh's lasted a few months. She is fine.
He told me that allowing her to cry a little more before picking her up would help loosen all the mucus up.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
We had this problem with for a while with Kaylee. Our doc told us exactly what Marianne said. The one thing they told us that would help though, & it did, was if we propped her up in her bassinette so she wasn't laying flat.
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2008
My granddaughter was diagnosed with Acid Reflux shes 4months old i had no idea they got that at that age.She to snorts,gags,coughs like shes choking.And its frightening but my daughter also read an article on Deviated Septum,and is now going to ask that she be checked for that.It can cause problems and usually unless thiers blunt trauma to face happens during the birthing process.You may suggest they check for that.Good Luck
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2008
my son is 7 weeks old and he does it too... even if it is a mild cold, its normal... theyre still new to the world and all its germs.... if i hadnt been exposed to any of the outside environment, id expect a cold too... but with Aiden, when i lay him on his tummy (when he's awake of corse) he seems to work some of it out himself, it can be kinda icky and sticky though, so i lay a recieving blanket under him when i lay him that way...
but a slightly more upright position helps him also
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2008
Supporter
Try standing with him in a steamy shower room. The vapour helps to thin the mucous and it will come away much more freely. I also found a little warm (previously boiled) water helped to loosen the gunk at the back of my baby's throat.
|

replied April 14th, 2008
My son is 3 months old and has had two colds since he was born (flu season of course!) I was very paranoid about him, especially being a new Mom, and talked to many people about it. I found what Galaxy suggested helped alot (standing in a steamy shower, or a steamy room) I also purchased a warm mist vapourizer to put in our bedroom, and made sure that the house was properly humidified. Saline nose drops used with the nasal aspirator seemed to clear the gunk out very efficiently. Good luck!!
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Community Volunteer
No, he won't make more because you take out some of the excess. The only reason why he would make more if you did syringe is if you got too rough and damaged the nasal tissue and cause it to become inflamed. It is good to remove some of the excess so he can breathe. It also helps if you let them sleep in their car seat or carrier. Using a salt solution before you syringe his nose will help to dilute the fluid plus dry up some of the excess.

Here is a link to instructions for helping your little one out:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-use-a-b ulb-syringe-to-clear-a-stuffy-nose_482.bc
|

replied July 25th, 2013
My son is just a week and one day old. The other day he was sittin in my husbands lap and spit up real bad, then I got him to clean him up and he started choking and mucus started coming out of his nose and mouth we sucked him with the bulb and turned him over he turn real blue and was lean very far back looking like he was trying to get air it took over 30 min for us to get him breathing agin, the perimedics took forever but when they got here we went to the hospital they did X-rays and didn't see anything.. Does this relate to any of your situations? I'm just so terrified of it happening agin an him not being able to fight it off like he did..
|