Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Can Anxiety Be Caused By Birth Control Pills?

Lately i've been experiencing severe panic attacks. I've experienced these symptoms before and noticed a correlation between my taking birth control pills and having anxiety attacks. Is there any evidence to support that birth control could be the cause of panic attacks? I can't seem to find any information on the subject!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2004
Sora
im afraid bc can cause anxiety. Im about to finish my 2nd month on orthotri cyclen lo and i've been experiencing anxiety attacks even during my sleep. And that s*cks Sad but oh well I decided to stop taking them. Hope this helps
|

replied April 21st, 2004
Experienced User
Sora, anxiety is a possible side effect of birth control, although it's usually not so severe that it causes panic attacks.... I've never seen any research done on the topic either, but it's a symptom listed on the insert which comes with the pills. You may want to check that out. Smile

my pill (ortho try cyclen lo) seems to give me problems with anxiety as well, sometimes to the point where my stomach is so jittery that I can't eat or sleep for a long period of time. I'm on my 4th pack of pills (i began taking bc in january) and i'm still having problems with side effects.

Anyway, you may want to contact your doctor and ask for a pill with a lower hormone level. The clinician I speak with at planned parenthood is going to put me on a lower dose if my symptoms don't go away in 2 more months.

Nicole
|

replied April 21st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Yes b/c can cause anxiety, but if it is then you should try switching brands. I was on ortho lo also and it gave me all kinds of problems, but I need the higher estrogen. So, talk to your doctor and try switching brands before giving up!
|

replied September 20th, 2009
I had been suffering from panic attacks for 2 years now. My anxiety actually started coming when I first began taking birth control and gradually got worse. I would say stress played a role as well but the smaller symptoms didn't show unitl I took the pill. It wasn't until I started having full blown panic attacks that I realized it was becoming a problem. I just quit birth control and am gradually beginning to feel better. If you think its the birth control like I did I suggest going off of it. I figured I would rather get pregnant and raise a child then think I am going to die or am going crazy all the time.
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2012
UPDATE: I had the same exact symptoms and anxiety issues as you. It eventually got better on its own. Every month that went by I felt more and more relief. To this day (7 months later) I still get some anxiety/panic from time to time when I am about to start my period but it goes away. Reading people's comments and encouraging words really helped me get through this. No one really understands what this feels like until it happens to you. Just know that you are not alone, and other people go through this. You just need to tell yourself that this will all end. I was a comeplete wreck for weeks and felt like I was losing my mind. The hormones completely throw your body off and it takes time for everything to get back to normal. I refuse to take another hormone for the rest of my life. Good luck to you all, this will all get better very soon!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Shafi Ullah Khan
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...