Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Vertigo - How Did I Get This & How Can I Get Rid of It?

Has anyone had or experienced vertigo symptons (dizziness)? Mine just started the other night when i turned over in bed, and the room started spinning so sharply, i thought i would throw up. I had to quickly lat flat again and very still. I now have a much longer transition time from laying down, to sitting, to standing, and if i change positions too quickly the room will spin again and i'll lose balance. This came on rather abruptly - i have no headaches or blurred vision, and other than a slight naseau feeling and some extra pressure all-over the head (very tolerable), i feel fine.

Should i go to a Dr. or will this pass as mysteriously as it came on? Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Are suffering from high blood pressure?
Can you visit your doctor and ask for a CT scan?
|

replied October 22nd, 2007
No, my blood pressure is normal to slightly low - but i have noticed today my vision is slightly blurred, more difficult to read my email
|

replied October 31st, 2007
Vertigo
I had that about 6 months ago...Just woke up one a.m. and the room was spinning like crazy...very scary. Passed pretty quickly, luckily.
I have been a migraine/headache sufferer and had one the night before so kind of passed it off as being connected to that.
Then I had mini version while driving....hmmm, I am thinking.
I am in perimenopause and did some research...
Don't know how old you are but found out that some women go through this kind of thing with "the change".
I go to naturaopathic Dr. and she agreed...suggested taking 1000 mg of Ester-C 2x a day. I don't know if just a coincedence or what, but haven't had it since....thank goodness.
I too have "low" blood pressure, so maybe that coupled with these crazy hormone changes, etc.??
Obviously you don't want to self-medicate, but I have a few women friends who this has happened to. It seems to be part of the anxiety attack, hot flash syndrome.
Lucky us!!
Good luck...hope this helps, or at least makes you feel a little better.
|

replied November 1st, 2007
It does help, thank you. i'm 45. Yes i googled vertigo quite a bit and did read that this often can affect women of "middle-age" (is that my official classification now? : ) ), so at least i felt better that symptoms were a lot less likely to be indicative of something more serious.

It has gone away however, it lasted one week and one day. Someone else responded about a simle head maneuver you can do, either in the Dr's office or at home (called the Canalith maneuver i think), which, if you can tolerate the head spin till it stops (several seconds), also seemed to help.
|

replied November 1st, 2007
Vertigo Tip
Thanks for the info on the procedure that can help with vertigo.

I have passed it on to a friend of mine who has terrible vertigo all the time now, for the last 3-4 years.

Funny how we get so much better information from others than we do from our Drs.

Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

J Smile
|

replied November 4th, 2007
Hey!

You may also consider that inner ear infections can cause the same symptoms....and if it is really bad, you could try to take over the counter dramamine or bonine (for motion sickness) to help with the symptoms until you can see your doc!!
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2009
Vertigo
Hi,
I am finding your responses very helpful. I also, woke up 5 days ago, lifted my head to turn off alarm and could not believe how the room was spinning. So, long story short, spent 3 days in bed , flat for me is best... went back to work on Friday, should not have. I work in 1st grade class room, and have not been myself since. I just want to feel better. Have to the ER DR and chiropractor
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2009
Hey, I had vertigo and I was only about 14-15 and so I went to doctors, cannot remember and it turned out to be an unbalance of my sugar levels.

So it could be your sugar levels.

Might not be but this, but it was what mine was so hope this helps abit.
charlie.
|

replied November 19th, 2009
hi i have migraine associated vertigo (mav) and have had it for 3 years.could anybody tell me wot worked for them thanx
|

replied September 11th, 2011
Vertigo
Hi I have high blood pressure and vertigo. My bloods were tested and are clear. Is high blood pressure normal with vertigo?
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....