Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Vertigo - How Did I Get This & How Can I Get Rid of It?

Has anyone had or experienced vertigo symptons (dizziness)? Mine just started the other night when i turned over in bed, and the room started spinning so sharply, i thought i would throw up. I had to quickly lat flat again and very still. I now have a much longer transition time from laying down, to sitting, to standing, and if i change positions too quickly the room will spin again and i'll lose balance. This came on rather abruptly - i have no headaches or blurred vision, and other than a slight naseau feeling and some extra pressure all-over the head (very tolerable), i feel fine.

Should i go to a Dr. or will this pass as mysteriously as it came on? Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 23rd, 2007
I get this from time to time. You can either let it pass which it probably will in anything from days to weeks or there is a manouver which will probably get rid of it for you straight away. It involves laying on a bed with your head over the side and turning your head in specific ways. It settles pieces of gunk in your balance tubes I think. I can't remember the exact moves but they should be quite easy to find on the net if you look for them.
Best of luck.
|

replied October 23rd, 2007
Thanks Oz, will try this if i can stand it. Bending down/turning my head is problematic unless i do very slowly.
|

replied October 24th, 2007
I just found some notes I saved last time I had it. It's called the Epley manoeuvre. If you google that you will have the cure. Sometimes takes a couple of goes but it's always worked for me.
|

replied October 24th, 2007
Thanks, i did a search yesterday and found the "Canalith Maneuver", but not the Epley. Will google that one. I also did the quick head maneuvers suggested and i am feeling better, but i cannot sleep with my head elevated (said to keep from laying flat for 24-48 hrs following the maneuvers). So, i can tolerate doing this again if needed. Right now i'm just thankful to have a home standing - in San Diego which is a disaster right now...slowly climbing back to some normalcy.
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....