Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Is She Old Enough?

my daughter is going to be 9 months on november 4 and i was just wondering is it ok if i start giving her homongized milk and when can i start feeding her table food?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 26th, 2007
Table food .. you can feed her cut up table food as long as she can sit up. (mashed potatoes, cut up cooked carrots, canned or packaged fruit like peaches -- they are soft, arrowroot cookies-- its a cookie in the baby food aisle.. Its really good, i eat them too heehee) Stay away from uncooked vegies and fruits, hotdogs, peanuts, popcorn, those are choking hazards)
You can even give her some finger foods like cheerios... It helps her develop her pincher grasps as well as learning to eat. Smile

As for milk, They normally suggest waiting till 1 year. I would recommend waiting as close to that as you can.

Hope that helps. Smile
|

replied November 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
depending on her diet. My dr. said at 9 months it was perfectly ok to do so. Talk to your dr.
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Why not start with soy milk? We're humans ... not baby cows. Cows milk is appropriate for baby cows. The stomach acid created by cows milk has lead to stomach ulcers in my family.
|

replied November 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Is She Old Enough?
sexymomma wrote:
my daughter is going to be 9 months on november 4 and i was just wondering is it ok if i start giving her homongized milk and when can i start feeding her table food?

My daughter turned 9 months on the 4rth! My little girl has been eating off the table for months now. I do give her 1 sippy cup a day of regular milk. She still gets her formula every day. I just substituted a bottle for a sippy cup of barbers milk once a day.
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
The reason why regular milk is not recommended for children under one year is because the protein is too complex for the baby to digest and can cause damage to their digestive systems and because it can "cause" milk allergies or intolerance later on.

The formula that we use for babies is milk-based, but it is modified to suit their immature digestive systems. I believe yogurt and cheese do not count in this "one year wait" category.

If you want to use soy milk, please research the benefits versus the drawbacks of this substitution so that you can make an informed decision. I have also heard of some babies (including my own) who were soy intolerant. For my nine month old baby I am currently using a combination of small amounts of juice, rice milk, and small amounts of sensitive milk-based formula since she is intolerant of both milk and soy base, and breast milk.

You have to do what works best for you and your baby.
|
Tags: food
Quick Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....