Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety, Masturbation, And Pvcs (Page 1)

About 8 months ago I started having anxiety problems because I had a few palpitations while I was masturbating. After a 911 call that ended in the paramedics leaving me at home telling me to see my family doctor, I went to see him. He performed some blood work and an EKG that both came back in absolutely perfect health. I was still anxious so he put me on Effexor XR, referred me to a Anxiety specializing psychologist, and referred me to a pediatric cardiologist for reassurance.

After going to the cardiologist where I had an ECG, another EKG (no stress test) and a 24 hour holter monitor that all said my heart was perfectly fine, learning how to manage anxiety and panic attacks with meditation and thought field therapy, I was returning to my normal self. The effexor was not only helping me keep my mind of the thought I was going to fall over dead from a heart attack, but helping with previous social anxiety and some problems concentration during stressful situations. The effexor was worth it for the small side effects of occasional diarrhea and discontinuation syndrome if I missed a dose. So passed 6 or so months until recently when something else started happening.

When I am masturbating my heart starts having constant PVC's, normal beat, premature beat, pause, repeat until I stopped and waited for 10-15 seconds. I had two theories, my first thought was that it was a physiological response to the anxiety of the first attack I had 8 months ago, so I know when I masturbate I have heart problems (is what my brain is telling me), so my heart beats irregularly. It usually worsens when I'm more stressed/tired (which is all the time in the middle of taking 4 AP classes).

My other idea after I looked up the symptoms for the medications I take regularly/semi-regularly, was that the Effexor rarely causes irregular hearth beat, so that might, added on top of the increased heart rate from sexual arousal, as well as stress and possibly caffeine/lack of sleep and even possibly in addition to the first theory, all add together to cause the constant PVC's when I try and masturbate.

I am currently using in addition to the effexor, an albuterol inhaler, and ibuprofen (regular over the counter dose about 2-3 times a month) for pressure headaches and back pain from the stress of school.

I also exercise regularly (for a teenage nerd), usually 20-30 minutes of running or weight training 4-5 days a week.

Any suggestion on changing of habits, or if its medication related/more serious then I would follow up with my doctor ASAP. If it's more likely anxiety related I'll go back and see the counselor again.

I just want to confirm with someone that it could possibly (even after the numerous tests) be more than a reaction to the first episode (medicine, heart condition) before I go to see my doctor and face the awkward situation of nerd asking doctor about masturbation.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Well
After reading your post twice, I can only come to the conclusion that is sounds more like your anxiety taking over. PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions) are not that rare during times of exsertion. You have to understand that during masturbation, the blood flow to the heart speeds up and can cause an irregular beat.
Knowing that all your tests and espcecially the 24 hr halter came out fine is telling me that your health is not an issue and sounds like your heart is doing pretty good. Everything on that tape for 24 hours must have came back alright. Did you know that you can even throw a PVC when you sneeze or move your bowls. Any strain on the heart can cause this. The last four years of my health care was on a cardiac floor with heart monitors on every patient. Sometimes I would have to releave the monitor tech for dinner and I was able to watch the (what we call) rythum strips. Many of the patients that had normal EKG's would throw an occasional PVC. Unless your cardiologist tells you otherwise, I would try and consintrate on you anxiety and also I would abstain from masturbation for a few days and see how you feel. Just for the heck of it.
I am on a beta blocker only because I have high blood pressure and palpatation due to anxiety. The high blood prsessure just came out of nowwhere about 5 years ago. I always had pretty good blood pressure.

Hope this was of some help to you,

Carrie
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Thanks for the reply, it's more of a worry to me that the PVCs are one after another. Sometimes when I run, or workout, I get an occasional palpitation, that doesn't bother me. But only when I masturbate does it throw my heart into a constant loop of PVCs... so

beat
PVC
pause
big beat
PVC
pause
big beat
PVC
pause

and so on until I stop and breathe for a few seconds. My lifestyle changed a lot after the first episode, which was during masturbation. I started taking effexor which has irregular heartbeat as a symptom. I started doing a lot better in school, so I moved to more stressful classes this year. I worked out a lot more just because it made me realize I was living a very unhealthy lifestyle before that (even if my heart was healthy).

I just can't identify what it is that's doing it, I know because of the tests most of it isn't life threatening.
|

replied October 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I was also on effexor for a short time. But, not long enough to have any of the side effects. I would mention this to the doctor that perscribed it for you. This indeed could be from the effexor then. And if it is, he will probably opt to take you off of it.

Carrie
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Actually one day when I was sleeping and I masturbated while lying on the bed. It happened that suddenly I was shaking my penis for semen to come out and I had forced my left hand nerve or muscle which is interconnected to my penis and after that semen came out but I had my heart beat faster or palpitation when that semen came out. It was just like as if I had my heart movement. Please tell me if this is going to be problem or just a normal heart beat
|

replied December 26th, 2009
PVC and Hypoxia
I know this post is old, but one cause for PVC is Hypoxia (deprivation of adequate oxygen supply). Most people when masturbating hold their breath (sometimes without knowing) to reach a more powerful orgasm. So can it be that your PVC come from that lack of oxygen.

I'm also very anxious with a diagnosis of Genaralized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), and found that when masturbating, I also have these PVC. I found that when breathing correctly I don't have them anymore.

Also, if someone is in the house or near and that I don't want them to hear me, I tend to retain my breathing, so that worsen the PVC. Add to that the stress to be caught and your sure to have it.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't verify my theory, but that is what I found as the closest answer for my problem. Hope it can helps others.

And by the way, don't stop masturbation, it's good for your anxiety SmileSmileSmile
|

replied February 6th, 2010
I get the same thing. Whenever i masturbate i get the PVC thing for a little bit then it goes back to normal. It is very uncomfortable. I am 100% positive it is because of stress. I never used to have these until i became very anxious and depressed. I've had a bunch of EKGs done...and they had a hard to finding anything wrong with my heart. They think i may have something called Wolf Parkinsons White. But i also think symptoms for that could be stress related. I know exactly why i unconciously stress while masturbating too. I'm sure these PVCs will go away after a while dont worry.
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
I have beeen musturbation for many years. Last year though i started suffering many complications :panick attacks ,permanent lower back pain,brain twitches ,heart jumps. After several medical tests that show am perfectly okay , i concluded to the best of my experiences musturbation is the culprit . Am struggling to stop it, no matter what scientific information is availed about the benefits of it it is very messy
|

replied June 12th, 2010
I am also experiencing very strong PVCs when I masturbate. My heart reacts immediately to each press of my clitoris so I stop. It's quite frightening! I will leave it for a week or so, cut out coffee and try to relax and sleep more. Then I'll try again but not holding my breath.
|

replied October 21st, 2010
PVC and Hot Guys
Do not worry guys PVC will never be gone once you are diagnosed it will be for the rest of our lives. I am 43 yo, male, married and usually masturbate once at day and do not worry I also have more for my wife averyday, hehehe. .. About 2 years ago I started having anxiety problems and start feeling a missed beat while I was masturbating I went to my doctor and stress test, EKG, Nuclear heart test and sorprise nothig appeared. So, PVC is a normal condicion until start bothering you lilke too many skiped beats,at that point you have to visit the doctor, stress is the enemy nomber one. Take care guys, and by the way do not stop masturbating is a nice manner to flush the anxiety and fantasies. God bless the masturbation and US( the poor PVC hot suffers).
|

replied October 21st, 2010
Hey guy, that will be perfect if we can keep contact . Bye Josh
|

replied February 26th, 2011
palpitations
hi guys, i suffer from palpitations that will happen for up to a week. i have found out that the worst palpitations happen the day after i masturbate. the following day will also be bad then days later pass and i am fine again. i would then think everything is ok and masturbate again but the same thing happens. i have decided to only masturbate once a week to see what happens and so far so good.

hope this will help other people who suffer from same.
|

replied October 17th, 2011
I masturbated n tried pushing my semen out really hard n I went blank n now fort tha past hour n a half it's been hard to breath. whats goin on?
|

replied October 20th, 2011
Hi, I also masturbated with PVC once, and like you I had a very unpleasant experience. After getting a smaller diameter PVC, and adequate lubrication the next time, things went much better. Hope this helps.

Jenn
|

replied October 21st, 2011
I have noticed something like this, the day after I masturbate is pretty uncomfortable, and also I have a lot of muscle pain. Also when I lay on my left side it feel like my heart is jumping out of my chest. It's a very heavy pounding, and pretty uncomfortable. not sure if it's tied to masturbation though. Also everyone I've seen says it's anxiety, but I'm not in pain because I'm thinking about it, I'm thinking about it because I'm in pain. EKGs and bloodwork came back fine, but I'm still very uncomfortable out of the blue. Why?
|

replied February 18th, 2012
Heart Palpitations during masterbation
This very thing has happened to me while masterbating. I too have an anxiety disorder and I have been on Zoloft and Ativan for the last 16 months. I have also found it very stressful to have sex lately as my heart seems to be beating out of my chest as I near orgasm to the point where it is physically painful. I have been tapering off the Zoloft from 100mg to now 25mg and hoping to come off completely. Hoping everything will return to normal then.
|

replied February 20th, 2012
What eliminates pressure is not the same for everyone. Making certain way of life changes is the best begin. Start with eating a well balanced, weight loss diet as well as getting enough sleep and exercise, also, restrict caffeinated drinks and liquor consumption and do not use cigarette smoking, drug, or other road medication.
Finding healthy, fun tips on how to deal with pressure helps most individuals. You can learn and exercise tips on how to help you rest. Find out about yoga exercise, tai chi, or relaxation. Take smashes from work. Make sure to stability fun actions with your job and household responsibilities. Routine some pleasurable every day. See individuals you enjoy, such as your household.
|

replied March 9th, 2012
Mastrubation problems
I am having increased heart beats suddenly during the day and minor attacks which wake me up at night. what most people have said I am not sure whether it is PVC or Ventricular Tachyardia caused by mastrubation? I guess it would be PVC as most people have reported the same problem. What do you think?

THank you
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
PVC's Anxiety & Masturbation
I have PVC's all the time. As my cardiologist said to me, I am one of the few "cursed" who can feel them. Most people have them and cannot feel them. When I masturbate they are VERY pronounced. I have had a stress test and Echo cardiogram and several trips to the ER because of this. I am going to ask my cardiologist about the masturbation thing next week and will come back and let you know what he says, because it SCARES me, but I know it is a stress reliever as well. So... what is a man to do? NOT masturbate? Perhaps? I know that after I do orgasm I tend to feel more relaxed and refreshed and calm. And the pvc's tend to diminish then.
|

replied November 6th, 2012
Thank you very much for the reply! Its nothing to worry about I am sure. Its anyways better to reduce mastrubation as it isnt good to do that many times.
|

replied July 4th, 2013
I've been struggling with PVC's now for a couple years and have found an article/blog on drwilson.com that discusses the impact that masturbation and sex has on depleting the body of vitamins and minerals. As I look back over the past couple years I can see a trend of when my sex life is more active so are my PVC's. I am going to attempt adding supplements and following the advice of the article to see if that helps.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...