Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

My 80 Year Old Mother...

My mother and father, both of who are 80 years old, have been living with my husband and I for several years now. They are both in perfect health and have never really been sick a day in their lives, thank god! However, recently my mother complained to me about hearing things. I said to her that it may be her hearing aids, and she replied that she heard these things with and without the aids in. She further explained that she's been hearing songs. Specifically 5 different songs, all songs from her past???
I can't make heads or tales of this because she is lucid and appears to be in a normal state of mind when this occurs. I, myself, was diagonosed as bipolar 5 years ago, as for her... She had been to a doctor about 6 years ago complaining of depression when she had moved back to new york and away from us. The doctor diagnosed her as having "situational" depression, with that said, she moved back to az to be with us, and has never complained of depression since.
I am really confused as to what is happening to her, my only guess so far has been schziophrenia, because she doesn't have any symptoms of alzehimer's or dementia. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 26th, 2004
I'm not an expert on schizo. But I know that the onset of it is mostly in the early 20's- not 80's. Has she always had slight delusions, paranoia or erratic behavior? If so, she could have possibly had it all along. If not, I wouldn't think it was schizophrenia, perhaps something that comes with old age.
|

replied June 27th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
If your mum is basically well despite being 80 I think you should be grateful & not go looking for trouble where there probably isn't any.

Your mum like many older people is probably remembering the "good ole days" & hearing the songs in her mind & they seem real - start worrying if she starts talking to strangers who aren't there or doing dangerous things or whatever, right now leave her be to enjoy her music & don't upset her about her "fun".
|

replied June 30th, 2004
Experienced User
Early Diagnosis ...
& therefore ... Treatment ... Is ... The key ! Are you a doctor ? If not ... Get her in to see ... Rolling Eyes a psychiatrist that specializes ... In ... Care ... For the elderly ! Alzheimers affects 1 in 10 over age 65 & 1 in 5 over age 85 ! So, this would be the most common assumption ! Peace be with you, laura
|

replied July 15th, 2004
I wouldn't think she would develope this at the age of 80. I'm no expert, but living with my mom having it since I was 7, (i am now 30) makes me feel real close to one. However, it does not sound like alzheimer's either. The only reason I say that, is because I work at a doctor's office and that simply doesn't fit the criteria.
If anything, I would have to assume. (using the word assume, lightly) that your parents are simply getting old. It's something that when it happens, no matter what, we're not ready for it. Just let her enjoy her songs. She's getting senile and is recollecting her past.
Besides, you could always ask your dad if she notices anything.
|

replied July 18th, 2004
Experienced User
One Half ...
Of the people over age 85 have alzhiemers . So, this is the most common phenonema, mental status wise . However, audible hallucinations are most typical for the diagnosis of schizophrenia . Regardless, of what the poor old " 80 year old " girl has ... You need to get her to a place where she can get some help ! Laura ( lvn x 15 years )
|

replied July 18th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
For crying out loud the lady is 80 she'sasically healthy - she's not hurting anyone so unless & until she is leave her alone - so what if she hears songs from her past - these are probably songs that remind her of happy times - leave her alone & stop worrying & don't treat her like a fool or a problem, be grateful you have her & that this is all you have to worry about - as for the idiot suggestions of putting her in some place where she can get help - just imagine how upsetting & hurtful that would be for her. Unless she feels that she wants help - why not try telling her that it's great that she hears music that reminds her of her long healthy life & all without any cost in elctricity that the rest of us need to play music!!
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with purple! I feel we are all a little schitzo, we all here things, see things, most of the time it is our sub-conscious, we can not put everyone away! Elderly people have a difficult time enough living in this day and age, heck, I am almost 52y/o and it is difficult enough for me! I go back and think about the good ole days, old songs, old places, old smells that become very vivid, there is nothing wrong with this, sometimes it is better then, then it is now! A lot of times people have a close to death period where they go back in time. I remember when I was working in a rest home, years ago and the elderly people would talk about ww1 and their childhood, I found it very interesting to listen too!
Try not to judge people, this can be your mother, grandmother or yourself one of these days, the main thing is, is to keep them out of these so called homes, and realize that we all have our days, go see some of these people in these places and remember, most of the are someones mother, grandmother, and gg's.
So, go ahead and bash me, but think about it too!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Experienced User
Hey, " Cuckoo " Birds !
Try a " little faith " in your fellow man ! And then, maybe a " little faith " in mankind, on the side ! The message was to get someone special an evaluation, and, therefore the right medicine to help improve her quality of life . But, I guess they don 't go for that kind of intelligence where they 're listening to banjo 's playing in the background ! Whatever ! Laura
|

replied July 20th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Saying "you need to get her to a place where she get some help" implies a home it certainly in no way suggests assessment & treatment as required surely even a lollipop can comprehend the difference or perhaps you expect people to read your mind as well as the words you post. If you have a suggestion I suggest you make it clear rather than hoping someone will be able to read your mind.

On a cultural side note - banjos are played in your country not mine "banjo" here is the nickname of one of our poets. Perhaps you should try finding out what you are talking about befoer you open your mouth.
|

replied July 21st, 2004
Experienced User
Yes, In Fact, It Does ...
Imply that she go to any er anywhere in our country ( banjo 's or no banjo 's ) and, let the er doc decide, whether or not, she needs a quote unquote " psych eval " ! So, igno, why not have some more fun grading others ? Those who can 't ... Teach ! Have a " hey day " as that 's all you will ever be ! That 's all you could be ! None of us ever liked you . We all just felt sorry for you . That 's the only reason anybody anywhere ever read anything you ever had to say ! You said," one of the authors is named banjo " . Yes, and my favorite color is purple ! You are very simply making it easier and easier for others to see your poor logic ! Thanks once again, laura ps response to purple 's response !
|

replied July 22nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Such a Tiny Mind
You have my sympathy since the only things you seem able to do are to endeavour to put others down & to have those who seek help feel in greater need or send them in search or trouble & expense.

This lady is merely old - nowhere did her daughter indicate that she was causing any harm or trouble so why upset her unnecessarily & hurt her feelings by having her daughter take her for a psych evaluation - how traumatic & dehumanising when it is so totally unnecessary.

Also such an evaluation could well lead to alot of basically unnecessary expense.

As to your personal attack & claims that no-one likes me - well others can speak for themselves & again my sympathy to you that your life is so lacking that personal attack is all you are capable of.
|

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Lollipop4u needs to chill out and take a pill, if you would read some of her other posts you would know that she is the one that needs a psych eval., she thinks she knows it all and likes to be in control.
Purple333 has helped a lot of people and I feel, along with others has given some good advice!
Lollipop4u, I do not like to judge, but you said in another post that you have been an lvn for 15 years, I have been in the nursing field for a heck of a lot longer, I feel, along with others that you might think about a new career, or a life! Now, go ahead and bash me as I know you are totally, rude!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied July 22nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Sandy,

thanks!! :d I like most of us can be abrupt at times but I try to be helpful.
|

replied June 19th, 2009
I think you should be grateful & not go looking for trouble where there probably isn't any.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....