which way is the dancer spinning?

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor y/0,22049,22535838-5012895,00.html?from=mo stpop

it's usually clockwise for me but i saw it counter-clockwise a few times. i thought it was a trick until i kept bugging nick and asking "which way is she going now?" and he was always seeing the opposite of me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
She looked like she was going counter clockwise to me until I looked away and then she started going clockwise. I love that kind of stuff, but it kind of makes me nauseous. LOL
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Clockwise for me! It took me a while to focus enough to make her go counter-clockwise.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Alright! I first saw it going clockwise. After I read what it was all about, I went back and could only see counter-clockwise. I no longer can see clockwise no matter how hard I try and it's irritating the heck out of me.

Now I can't see it counter-clockwise. I guess I don't have as much cognitive flexibility as people who can train there brains to see both. I have been looking at it for a few minutes and still can't go counter-clockwise again.

It really has nothing to do with left vs right brain function (would like to see that research) but it's still fun.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I saw clockwise until I started reading and then it went counter clockwise. I'm going to try this on Brandon when he gets home.
|

Extremely eHealthy
All I see is counter clockwise. When I focus on it, I look at her sholders and her leg and watch the direction the circle makes as she goes around. So what does that mean that I can't make it go clockwise???
|

Especially eHealthy
when i first look at it i see clockwise, then if i look off and keep it in the corner of my eye it will switch to counter. then i can switch it back to clockwise by looking down at her foot.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It means you are completely logically-minded and aren't really creative....just kidding!

I would try again later. Perhaps you would be able to see it the other way. I do think it's interesting how "monkeygirl" (sorry forgot name) and I both saw it clockwise until we started reading it.

From a psych perspective, it would make a very interesting study to compare some of these illusions with various type of standardized cognitive tests. Does it measure cognitive flexibility, is there truly a component of "left vs right brain," does it have something to do with eye tracking, does it vary depending on what we looked at first (i.e., the top of the picture, the bottom, the middle or read the print first)...? Just quickly pulling ideas from my very tired brain.
|

Especially eHealthy
weird..

it only goes clockwise for me.

**shrugs**
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
rainfire1424 wrote:
weird..

it only goes clockwise for me.

**shrugs**

Be thankful!!

I switched a few times when I first started and have no idea how in the world it happened. Now I can't go back to counter-clockwise and I am going batty. If I only saw it one way, I would have stopped this a long time ago.
|

Especially eHealthy
i stared at her knees and was able to make it go the other way.

its so weird!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Clockwise. It took me awhile to get her to go the opposite....Does that mean Im smarter lol. jp
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Lol, she only went clockwise for me..I tried to get her to go counter clockwise but it didnt work.
|

Extremely eHealthy
First she went counter-clockwise, and then she went clockwise after I started reading.
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
it took me a while but I did the thing like bridget and looked out of the corner of my eye and it worked, then I started getting nauseous and had to stop. Smile
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
no matter how hard i try and focus she always goes clockwise
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
omg i started reading and she got all confused and went anti-clockwise twice then clockwise again lol
|

Extremely eHealthy
I think it changes by itself from clockwise to counter clockwise and then back again.
|

Especially eHealthy
~*~Melissa~*~ wrote:
I think it changes by itself from clockwise to counter clockwise and then back again.

nope, that's what i thought too. but i can change it from counter to clockwise by just looking down at the foot. also, nick was always seeing it opposite from what i was seeing it.

it's magic!

mel, i forgot to respond to your pm the other day! i'm such a jerk! i'll get back to you, i promise!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ok now I think Im going nutz...

When I first opened it today, it was going clockwise then I started reading and then it went counter clockwise...

Now that I have sat here for a good 5 minutes watching it go back and forth, I think Melissa has it...I think that it is changing itself back and forth. If you follow the arm and watch it go in a circle, it goes the other direction after a while.

I have to be done with it for the day or I will get NO work done.
|
Tags: Pregnancy, Au
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...