Medical Questions > Parenting > Preschool Kids Forum

2 1/2 Year Old Pain On Left Back Side of Head

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hello,
My 2 1/2 year old daughter gets sudden sharp pains on left back side of head. She will be playing or just sitting there and all of a sudden start crying pretty hard. It lasts about 1 minute tops and is gone just that quick.
She gets this pain like once a month or so. About 4 times total now. It really worries me.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BubaB
|

replied October 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Why in the world haven't you taken her to a doctor!? I would have been in the ER the first time it happened! I have no idea what it could be but head pain is often a sign of something far more serious, even deadly or debilitating.
|

replied October 24th, 2009
2 year old pain in back of head
Did you ever figure out what was causing it? My daughter is doing the same thing, but only for the last week, and more frequently. I took her in today, but they don't know what it is. They may schedule a CT scan. Please let me know if it just went away, or if the doctors had any answers for you.
|

replied February 18th, 2010
2 1/2 year old with back of head pain
Rambochick, did you ever find out what it was? My son is having the same symptoms. I will get him into his doctor too.
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2010
My son does the same but they last a little longer, this has been going on for about 6 months and he just turned 2. I took him to his pediatrician when it first started happening, and she was sure it was either teething or temper tantrums. I was sure it was not temper tantrums, because nothing happens to provoke the crying and holding his head. It just happens out of the blue. The more it goes on, the more I see a pattern and now I know when he wakes up in the morning if it will be "one of those days" I decided to take him to the ER a couple of weeks ago during one, and insisted they do a CT scan. The result were normal. The longer it goes on, the scarier it gets. It seems so painful for him, the way he holds his head, and sometimes goes into a cold sweat and his body just stiffens right up. Its heart breaking for me to see him in pain, but what can you do if you don't know what it is. I hope someone gets answers soon. Take care.
|

replied January 10th, 2011
My son is 2 years old and we have been seeing this exact thing happening to him since last six months. The pain triggers out of the blue when he is super excited. It seems to be a very sharp pain on the lower left back side of the head. He starts crying loudly, leaves whatever he is doing, run towards us while holding back of his head. It goes away within a minute. The doctor says biologically it is difficult to explain and have asked us to video record as soon as it happens. I hope someone has the answer for this so that we can relieve him of this pain.
|

replied May 6th, 2011
my daughter is 4 and a half and she has been experiencing those type of pains since she was 3. They seem very intense but they last just under a minute as well. She just recently started describing them as a "pop" and she says it feels hot. she could go months without them or they could happen once a month(last the last 3 times) it is very worrisome and doctors don't seem to think there is anything wrong. I've search online and I came across a stite where adults talk about this kind of pain ans some mention they have had it for as long as tehy can remember. it somehow makes me feel just a little bit better to know this, as it is maybe nothing serious but I am still worried. Can someone here tell me if htey have found any answers PLEASE!!!
|

replied May 6th, 2011
my daughter is 4 and a half and she has been experiencing those type of pains since she was 3. They seem very intense but they last just under a minute as well. She just recently started describing them as a "pop" and she says it feels hot. she could go months without them or they could happen once a month(last the last 3 times) it is very worrisome and doctors don't seem to think there is anything wrong. I've search online and I came across a stite where adults talk about this kind of pain ans some mention they have had it for as long as tehy can remember. it somehow makes me feel just a little bit better to know this, as it is maybe nothing serious but I am still worried. Can someone here tell me if htey have found any answers PLEASE!!!
|

replied June 13th, 2011
Hope it helps
Sounds like cluster headaches google it, it will tell you how to take care of it
|

replied September 5th, 2011
Sharp pain to left side of head, 5 year old boy
my son is 5 1/2 and he's had 4 seperate incidents of sharp pain to the left side of his head, above his ear. its always when he is physically active. (once he was running towards me and the pain came on so quickly he put his hand on his head and started crying mid-stride. it looked the same as how one would react to getting hit by a thrown rock). he describes it as 'electric'...'fast and zapping. then after a minute its gone. i will be seeing the dr this week and will post any "findings".
Would be interested to hear what the results were from other people's dr appointments.
|

replied September 5th, 2011
Sharp pain to left side of head, 5 year old boy
my son is 5 1/2 and he's had 3 seperate incidents of sharp pain to the left side of his head, above his ear. its always when he is physically active. (once he was running towards me and the pain came on so quickly he put his hand on his head and started crying mid-stride. it looked the same as how one would react to getting hit by a thrown rock). he describes it as 'electric'...'fast and zapping'. then after a minute its gone. i will be seeing the dr this week and will post any "findings".
Would be interested to hear what the results were from other people's dr appointments.
|

replied September 24th, 2011
Sudden head pain
Hello. Well, I guess misery loves company. And I am so thankful that I found these posts! My son is having the EXACT same symptoms for the past two weeks and at least now I know that other children are suffering from the same sudden head pain. It's really scary to watch; especially when you have NO idea what is wrong. We are hoping to get into a headache clinic soon to get some answers. I will post anything I find out and I hope that you all do the same as well. Good luck!
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
OMG!! My 2 yr. old son just started this about 3 wks ago and about 3 times a day. I am so thankful that I found these posts! Same symptoms as everyone else. The pain last about 1 min. and at times he tells me his neck on the left side hurts too. He also can't stop itching the same area throughout the day. Seems to happen more when playing or just in trouble but then other times he says he hit his head and he is just standing there, says it's a sharp pain. We have apt. with a neurologist, we couldn't get in until Jan. 5th but on standby if someone cancels. Just makes us so sad when we see him in pain:(
|

replied December 8th, 2011
2yr old head hurts
I am so glad, I am not online here, My 2 yr old facing same since last 4 days, I am so worried, please post u found out what it is?
|

replied August 14th, 2012
Just reading this, it remids me of this sharp pain that I would always get my whole life even still today,which I never thought anything of, it feels like a sharp electric shock running trough the side of my neck and always just thought it was from turning my head very sharply in a direction an it was just something pulling in there. Well I am 27 yes old now and just fine. So no worries. If seen my daughter 2 1/2 has gotten one on her life too.
|

replied July 16th, 2013
Toddler with pain in skull
I just took my 2 year old to doctor or same symptoms and her doctor mentioned a Occupital neuralgia It's rare but it's when the nerve attaches lower then it's suppose to and can cause these symptoms. He told me to keep a close eye on her and let him know if it becomes more frequent or very painful because the ony way to test for this is for her to be put under and given an MRI.
|

replied November 13th, 2013
post tramatic headache
My grandson was having the 15second bursts of pains left side behind ear these started in april and she took him to many doctors it is now Nov. and pain is only happening once a month after mri's and many other test they took him to mayo clinic. They say it is post tramatic headache and should go away on its own if it gets worse she is to call and they will help him with meds but feel within a year they will stop. He had fallen from his rocking horse in april wasn't a bad fall but he did bump his head.
|