Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Why Does Every Little Body Sensation Throw Me Into Panic!!!? (Page 1)

Why does every little body sensation throw me into panic?If i turn the wrong way and i get a little twinge i start to panic,tickling sensations make me extremely nervous,everything and i mean everything.I spend every second worrying about having another panic attack,it consumes my every breath.It is always on my mind and i just can't seem to get rid of it.Even when i try to read a good book or watch a program that i "used" to enjoy the thought is always in the forefront of my mind and i am constantly thinking about it.How can i break this cycle of constantly thinking about having another attack?I can't seem to enjoy anything anymore because i am always worried!!Whatever i try and do anymore to try and ocupy my mind is always second place in my head to the worry of having another panic attack.What can i do to stop worrying about everything of non importance like every little (What my doctor calls) organic pains that everyone gets that i blow one million times out of proportion.Thank You so much to anyone who can give me any advice,Keith.. Sad Sad Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 17th, 2007
I am JUST LIKE you.. If I get a twitch in my eye, or a pain in my foot, slight headache.. the slightest pains / twitches or anything throw me into panic. You HAVE to assure yourself that nothing is wrong with you. I know it's hard at that moment. Deep breathing and assuring yourself is the best remedy for me. I control my breathing and constantly say to myself "It's ok, your fine. Just breathe. You know the drill.. it's going to be fine."

It's hard. When I go into 'panic mode' It's almost like I have an angel and devil on both shoulders.. the angel is the sensible one telling me to calm down.. but then the devil says "No! don't listen! theres somthing wrong with you! call 911!" as crazy as it sounds.. thats how it's like for me. Basicly you just have to listen to the Angel and tune out the devil.
|
Users who thank VINTAGEWASTE for this post: galwaygirl02 

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
These are all really common symptoms of panic. You guys aren't alone. There are ways you can treat it on your own like Vintagewaste described, and there are really successful treatments that a psychologist can do (if you find a psychologist who works with anxiety and panic or cbt).

You don't have to feel this way!! Have you ever seen a psychologist or psychiatrist?
|
Users who thank Georgia59 for this post: esmer28 

replied October 29th, 2007
I used to be like that too. I would be watching TV and I would have a "weird" feeling in some part of my body and I would go into full panic mode. Or I would be driving my car, and if the seat belt felt funny on my chest it would trigger one. The worst was pulling into a parking space, and the car next to me pulling out at the same time as I stopped, so it created an optical illusion that my car was moving, and it would trigger a big attack. 2 years ago my doctor prescribed me .05 mg of ativan. I took it whenever I felt the panic come on, or before a situation I knew would trigger an attack. Then, when things would happen, like my heart palpitating, or those weird tingly feelings, I would tell myself, "OK, Elena, this has happened to you for 4 years. This has never killed you or caused serious harm. This will go away. You are fine." Now, I am virtually panic attack free. Everyone says to do the breathing exercizes, but that never helped me. It usually made me dizzy, which worsened the attack. But I hear it works for some people.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Yes, for some people, deep breathing/square breathing will bring on an attack. Yikes!! CBT type approaches usually work the best. (Which is kinda like what elena described)
|

im new here and i have the same thing with me im 37 yrs old and had a stress test
all kinds of tests done they cant find anything wrong.my biggest thing along with fear of dying is i wake up out of a dead sleep for no reason weird feelings then my body justs starts to shake bad i get so mad.but you guys and gals are right you can be doing nothing or hanging out and all of a sudden for no reason fear just hits
then boom,you feel like your going to dye cant breath heart pulpitations,evey system you guys and gals have talked about i have and had for probably 7 years
they come and go.dont have any for year or so then bam there back it sucks.but two things its nice we can talk about them and help each other out.but in my case i trust in the lord that he will be with me and keep me safe and he is going to deliver me from these or already has i just have to claim it.not preaching its nice im not in this boat alone.its just nice to get out how i feel because some people think im nutts
and they dont understand what we go thru or how we feel when we have a panic attack.i found this message board and reading some of this stuff make me realize im not the only one going thru this.thanks for listen just to get out how i feel sometimes helps
thanks mark
hope i didnt bore anyone
|

replied December 11th, 2007
Afraid Too
I am new in this room...but I have been battling panic attacks for 6 years now and I am soooo tired of this condition. Right now, I need to go to a ob/gyn for a check up as I am having some problems, but I am scared to go! I have an aortic valve leak and need an echo every 6 months...but I am scared to go! I lay awake at night going over every scenario possible and I work myself into a "panic"!! Any suggestions on how to deal with this so I can get to the doctor, would be greatly appreciated. Blessings to all.
|

replied February 10th, 2008
You get used to it
Feeling like this actually lead to my recovery. At first during my panic disorder I was convinced that I was going to die, so every little symptom that I felt set me into a panic. Eventually when i felt these symptoms enough I become desensitized to them. If I feel a little pain in my chest now I don't panic, if I feel a little lightheaded I don't panic, ect...

Saturation in these symptoms is key to recovery. I still get scared when I feel something NEW, but the things that I've learned won't kill me do not trigger panic anymore.
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Re: You get used to it
RideTheWalrus wrote:
Feeling like this actually lead to my recovery. At first during my panic disorder I was convinced that I was going to die, so every little symptom that I felt set me into a panic. Eventually when i felt these symptoms enough I become desensitized to them. If I feel a little pain in my chest now I don't panic, if I feel a little lightheaded I don't panic, ect...

Saturation in these symptoms is key to recovery. I still get scared when I feel something NEW, but the things that I've learned won't kill me do not trigger panic anymore.

That's similar to the idea behind cbt- exposing the person to what they are afraid of and having the person relax through it. There's more to it but that's the basic idea, and it does work.
|

replied April 14th, 2008
I started my panic episodes in my 20's. The first time I had a panic attack, I had no clue what it was & called the ambulance! I feel like I am goind to be termanilly ill on a weekly basis. I know it's stupid, but I cannot talk myself out of it. If I go to the doctor for a test & it comed back okay, I want to tell them to do it again. I finally found a doctor that did a full exam on me. I mean she checked EVERYTHING. She told me that there is nothing wrong with me. I did feel better after that, but that was 5 years ago, so now I'm starting up again. I tell my family about new pains I have & all they can do is call me a hypocondriact (not sure how to spell that one!). I try really hard not to freak out over every single ache too, but It is difficult to do. I did read a book that helped me called "Stop Obsessing" they have a chapter about obsessing about medical things. I haven't had an attack in a very long time, but make sure you listen to your body too. You can feel the differance between sick & panicked. We may not want to admit that, but I can tell when I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill & when I really am ill. Just feel better in knowing you are NOT alone. I know I do.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It's not stupid! Don't let people tell you that- of course you know (in your logical brain) that you're not really going to die, it doesn't matter. You're still afraid of it, and that's exactly what anxiety is.

Anxiety is an illness- not a lack of willpower or logic.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Because as a fellow anxiety sufferer I can tell you that those of us with this terrible, confusing condition are more tuned to our bodies than the average Joe. We can feel every little thing ten times more than the "normal" person can. That isn't bad and it isn't good but it is frightening and confusing. You just have to remember when these terrible feelings strike you it is just you being aware of how your body normally functions and it is nothing to be afraid of. I know it is hard it is hard for me to do also but it can be done. Anytime you need to talk I am always here.
|

replied May 7th, 2008
Hey Jennikay,
How long have you been dealing with this problem. I have been dealing with it for a little over a year now and am just trying to figure out if this is going to be something I will deal with for the rest of my life or if this problem will eventually go away? I too notice every little thing that happens to my body. I am constantly worried that something is wrong with me. I do have Irritable Bowel Syndrome so I have a lot of stomach problems and I have undiagnosed fainting spells that have occured randomly over the last several years, so that makes it more difficult for me to ignore the different things going on with body. Any suggestions?
|

replied May 26th, 2008
I guess it helps to here others say "YEP...I FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY" I almost started laughing and feeling better just reading what you guys were saying. that's rare. I have suffered from panic attacks, Anxiety and OCD for about 15 years on and off. The past 2 years have been nothing but on... and I mean on. Full speed.

I have chest pains and shortness of breath 2-3 times a day, leg cramps with chest pain just knowing it a blood clot, arm pain, numbness in my face and arms. I fight so hard to not just run to the ER. heck! I turn my head to fast I think my neck is going to break. what Smile I have had all the normal tests - EKG, Stress test, Blood Tests and the only thing wrong with me is I got Adult onset asthma about a year ago when moving to a new State. That sucks and I think that contributes to the problem, but I take the good days with the bad.

I take Xanax daily along with Klonpin - two very addictive drugs - and have been for about 2 years. I really could care less because the work. I only suggest these for the short term, but wow do they work if you are willing to try medication. I will never take an ant-depressent for this again. i have had several and those things are evil if you ask me. Glad they work for some.

There is hope for all of us. I read books about the subject, study online, ask others, ask doctors everything I can. Knowledge is power and sometimes that one little thing can ease the pain and worry.

In a way i think somewhere there is a silver lining here. When I am driving along and i get a sharp shooting pain in my chest and loose my breath for a second, I have no idea where that silver lining is. But on the flip side i have quit smoking, drinking even thought I am about 15-20 pounds over-weight - I am totally in-tune with healthy foods and nutrition. My last cholesteral and blood sugar screening the Dr said "Keep doing what ever it is you are doing" It was perfect. So that is always reassuring and maybe since I am only 32, this healthy eating i do will pay off in long hall.

hence - my silver lining.

Bless all of you as I know exactly how you feel... Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Very Happy Very Happy
|

replied May 29th, 2008
panick attacks
I know how you feel. I been there for over 20 years. I have my panic attacks under control, but my thoughs can get me into trouble.
I come from a big family an the only one with it is me,? why? I have not any idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! but is not fun>>>>>>>>
|

replied June 21st, 2008
Wow, I've loved reading all your messages,it makes me feel so much better!! I am an 18 yr old and have suffered from panic attacks that I can remember since I was about 8. The worst thing in the world is to think you're dying of some unknown disease as an 8 yr old. I'm a lot better these days as I saw a person about getting some control over my very overimaginative mind Wink But even just last night I had a headache and immediately thought I had a brain tumour. I also have mild OCD which I haven't really been able to shake but its not too severe at all and hardly invasive. Its so nice to hear that there are others exactly the same, I've never met anyone or spoken to anyone who suffers from this too!!
|

replied June 21st, 2008
felling "weird"
Well, nice to read all your comments I don't feel so alone anymore.........I told you guys I have my attacks under control,,.......NOT true!!!!!!!!!!! last week after coming from Florida, to N. Carolina were the mountains, peace and tranquility give me a calming feeling every year-not this year, out of the blues I felt "weird" I was getting an attack.............. I am going to tell you guys what I finally did and helped immensely!!!!!! .......... My father and brother both doctors told me many years ago when I feel a panic coming, to lay down and put my legs higher than my head to close my eyes and take small deep breaths.. are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!! that the last thing in my mind to do, I couldn't be still on the floor I felt worse!!!!!!!! I needed to walk or even run then a call to 911 because I was sure it was a heart attack.................This time when I started to feel "weird" I said to myself " you are not going to spoil my time here" I know what's coming next, I went into the bedroom lay down on the floor put my legs up,.... Yeap!!!! it was very scary I thought I couldn't breath an my skin wanted to jump out of me, but my husband came home at that time he was so proud of me ( the poor guy has taking me to the hospital before)
he came into the bedroom an knew exactly why I was on the floor my first words to him was Honey, I think you better call 911 this is to much for me to handle he reassure me to stay down,..... actually couple of times he hold me down I was ready to get up and run. He got me ice my face and legs were on fire and 15 minutes latter ( in my head was 15 hours) all was calm again, I felt very tired but I was so glad I did it with out screaming or getting worse second by second................. When an attack happens in my case my blood pressure may go down then the more I walk or run things start getting bad blood start going down to the extremities then I feeling of not "being there" settles in I may passed out, ctc, ctc, ctc, 20 Years with this is a long time but fighting it didn't make it easier for me, maybe accepting is healthier................keep in touch and good luck .... GOD is perfection, we have the free will to change to seek and to accept.
Francisca
|

replied December 20th, 2008
PANIC ATTACKS; THE FEAR OF THE FEAR
IT'S THE FEAR OF HAVING A PANIC ATTACK THAT BRINGS ON ANOTHER WHEN YOU'VE BECOME SO AFRAID, SO INTERNALLY AWARE - I'VE BEEN THERE, STILL FALL THERE, STILL FIGHT TO OVERCOME THIS INVISIBLE MONSTER............. FEAR IS THE FEAR OF ANOTHER ATTACK. FIGHT IT, BE STRONG, BE STRONGER - YOU HAVENT DIED YET AND YOU WONT, BELIEVE!
|

replied December 20th, 2008
panick attacks..............
I wish all of you a peaceful, healthy 2009............
The mind is powerful,-- what we think we become. having panic attacks can be very scary. I have been there for over 20 years. I never though I would say this,--but for me, accepting the "weird" feelings has been the road to "recovery" Also, helping others with "real" diseases had made me realise we all have our shares of troubles as part of life.........
that I'm cure not am not.... but I made a choice not to let these raising thoughts control my life,--NO matter how bad I'm feeling...........
'LIFE GIVES US EXPERIENCES THAT WE HAVE TO LIVE,--BUT WE HAVE THE CHOICE TO ENJOY THEM OR SUFFER ALL THE TIME............ someone said it. Smile
|

replied December 27th, 2008
PANIC ATTACKS
DOES ANYONE EVER THOUGH,--MAYBE WE GOT PANIC ATTACKS FOR A REASON.???
I HAVE,--AFTER 20 YEARS OF THOSE MISERABLE FEELINGS I CHANGED MY WAY OF THINKING FROM "WHY ME"........TO, WHY NOT ME........ MAYBE, IS MY DUTY TO HELP OTHERS, TO BE MORE COMPASSION MORE SPIRITUAL, WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SO "NORMAL" LIKE MY EIGHT BROTHERS AND SISTERS,....WE CAN PUT THIS "ANXIETY" TO A GOOD USE,-- HELPING OTHERS IS THE BEST ROAD TO LIVE A HEALTHY LIFE,--AND BY CHANGING YOUR THOUGHTS TO HEALTHY ONES,--AND START TAKING CARE OF YOUR BODY, EAT HEALTHY, YOU WOULD FEEL DIFFERENT.. DRUGS FOR ANXIETY LIKE ALCOHOL IS LIKE A BAND-AID JUST FOR THE MOMENT, BELIEVE ME IT WONT WORK.........
.........TRY THIS APPROACH IT DOES HELP ..... WHEN THE "WEIRD" FEELINGS ARE KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR JUST ANSWER AND BE GENTLY WITH YOURSELF,--JUST TELL YOURSELF, OK HERE WE GO AGAIN MY ELECTRIC CABLES ARE CROSSING EACH-OTHER AGAIN,--CLOSE YOUR EYES AND THINK ABOUT GOD OR JESUS WITHOUT FEAR THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.....REMEMBER BABY STEPS BE GOOD TO YOURSELF AND OTHERS.......2009 A YEAR FULL OF REAL JOY, ABUNDANCE AND LOVE........FRANCISCA rainbow
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...