Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Umbilical Artery Ratio High + Brain Sparing Effect -SERIOUS?

My wife is 32 weeks pregnant and we are expecting our first baby on 14 th December.
We did our Doppler Scanning and the report revealed that Umbilical artery flow is Marginally high (Ratio 3.20) and there could be a possibility of Umbilical artery S/D ratio with brain sparing effect.
Based on this report, our consulting doctor did not advice any medications nor any actions. Doctor said that Blood flow to the baby is low and therefore baby can be small (why the doctor said blood flow is low when the report says Umbilical artery is high?).

Now my wife is so worried about this situation. Is this critical? Doctors are not very helpful here in my country in explaining.
Any advice is well appreciated. Or please let me know where can I get appropriate advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 27th, 2007
Experienced User
I would not be excessively worried. A high SD ratio means that resistance to the baby is higher, therefore blood flow is at a lower rate. That's what your doctor meant. It could mean having a smaller baby but if other fetal biophysical factors are normal then the well being is most definately not compromised. Upper limits at our clinic at about 34 weeks is around 2.7.
If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.
|

replied October 3rd, 2013
Doppler
We are at 25 weeks with a doppler S/D ratio of 4.53 which is better than last weeks reading of around 5.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...