Hey everyone,
so i've decided to start medical birth control, and made an appointment. But I have no idea what kind I want. Question can you guys give me quick reviews? Ie. What you're taking, side effects (especially weight gain), pros cons... Would you reccomend it, etc. Thanks a bunch.
~laura
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 30th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi laura,
well I am on the combined oral contraceptive, otherwise known as the pill and i've found it to be great. I had pretty much no side effects from taking it. The first month I was a little bit nauseous but that was it. Its made my breasts alot bigger Smile and although ive put on a tiny bit of weight that was definately from my diet not the pill.
It makes your cramps and your period alot lighter which is a plus. The pill is actually begining to stop my period so I might switch to another one so remember if you experience weird side effects on one pill there is definately one for you that wont.

See how you go but as long as you remember to take it every day the pill has been great!
|

replied March 30th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Well, when your doctor reviews your personal medical history, he/she will decide what is best for you. If I were you, I would definately try the birth control pill before the depo provera shot. The side effects are going to vary for each individual person, so what you will have to do is go with what your doctor prescribes you. If you have bad side effects from that pill, then he/she can switch you to one that better suits you. In the beginning it is kind of a guessing game, but you will eventually find one suited to you. I was lucky, the first pill I was on worked fine for me for the first seven years. Then, my body needed different levels of hormones, so I had to switch, but the one I am on now also works fine.
The reason I suggest the pill before the shot is because this way you will know how your body handles the hormones before getting stuck with side effects for three months. With the pill, if it bothers you then you can switch to a different one or stop taking it. With depo, if it bothers you it is just to bad. Plus, depo only brings a small amount of women joy. The rest bleed the whole entire time they are on it. Good luck and congrats!
|

replied April 1st, 2004
Pill
I have been on the pill for 3 years and would absolutely recommend it. I personally did not experience any weight gain or breast enlargement, but that varies with each woman. It is very effective and not only prevents pregnancy but also regulates your period, lessens cramps and bleeding is lighter.
|

replied April 21st, 2004
Experienced User
Hey laura!

I've been on the pill for 4 months. It's helped clear my complexion up, regulate my period, and i've put on a little weight, but it's in good places (odds are that's not from the pill though). Wink

however, I do deal with a few bad side effects. My pms has gotten 10 times worse, and the shift in hormone levels has resulted in anxiety, depression, and nausea that's awful at times. I've only been on the pill for 4 months, so my body might still be adjusting to the change (i'll be switching to a different brand if the symptoms don't go away in 2 more months). So basically don't let what I just said scare you... For some women the exact opposite is the case, and the pill eases their pms and other period related problems.

Anyway, I do recommend getting the pill. It's very effective and that gives you peace of mind. Also, the lower the hormone level of your pill, the lower the chance you'll suffer from some of the bad side effects. Your doctor will find out what level is best for you. (you may have to try a few different kinds until you find one that suits you. )

good luck!

Nicole
|

replied April 21st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
If you are having these side effects still then you need to switch brands now. Don't suffer for two more months! They say in general that side effects should subside within the first three months and if they don't then you should switch. So don't torture yourself!
|

replied April 21st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Vasectomy!
It is the most perfect form of birth control, and should be recommended to every man.
I was on the pill for a long time, always assumed that my antipathy to children would be temporary. But the more I see of children, the better I like dogs. I was lucky that when I was 36 I met my lover, who loathed children even more than me and had had a vasectomy when he was in his 20s. It's been wonderful not having to worry!
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
That would be absolutely wonderful! Unfortunately not too many guys will do that!
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Hay darl, im on the injection:) its fantastic for me because I had a lot of weight gain on the pill and besides I always forgot it. Not everyone gets weight gain from the pill but for some reason I did, im only 18 and care a lot about wot I look like, so the injection was fantastic for me. You only get it every 3months and then you dont have to worry bout much. Only prob is it could effect you if you want to get pregnant lata on in your life.
I hope I helped:)
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Injection
Hay darl, im on the injection:) its fantastic for me because I had a lot of weight gain on the pill and besides I always forgot it. Not everyone gets weight gain from the pill but for some reason I did, im only 18 and care a lot about wot I look like, so the injection was fantastic for me. You only get it every 3months and then you dont have to worry bout much. Only prob is it could effect you if you want to get pregnant lata on in your life.
I hope I helped:)
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...