Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Can Drinking On Weekends Damage My Liver?

Hello!

I was wondering if this type of drinking can cause any liver damage. Im 28 years old and in pretty good condition.

For the last 12 years i was drinking as follows (just to mention that 90% of times I get so drunk that I dont remember everything):
- first 9 years: 2 times per week + more on holidays
- last 3 years once per week (2 liters/67 ounce of red wine)

In other six days of the week I maybe dring 3 beers in total (per week).

Just wanted to know if heavy drinking once per week can cause any damage? Should I worry?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 15th, 2007
Any type of binge drinking can hurt you. Over 5 drinks at one sitting is binge drinking.
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Binge drinking once a week probably does more damage than light to moderate drinking every day. Two liters of wine is a LOT of wine. Traditionally a glass of wine is considered "one drink" at about 4-5 ounces. Thus, two liters of wine is what, maybe 15 drinks? That's the same as 15 twelve-ounce beers or 15 shots of whiskey.

The good news is that the liver is pretty unique in its ability to regenerate healthy tissue and repair damage; most internal organs are not capable of that. So as long as you haven't reached the stage of hepatitis or cirrhosis, there's a pretty good chance that if you stop drinking, the liver could return to relatively close to normal, especially for a 28-year-old. Before you reach those stages, you would often see a stage called "fatty liver," which is usually reversible with abstinence.

If you're not capable of stopping after a couple of drinks, then don't drink at all. If you are the type who can't easily stop drinking once they've started, it's often easier to refuse that first drink than it is to refuse the third, or the fourth, or the fifth...
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I Agree
Any drinking above moderation (in some even in moderation) does damage to the liver.

Carrie
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...