Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

My Girlfriend Just Got a Cold Sore: Is she cheating?

I've been dating the same girl for 3-4 years now. All of a sudden she got a cold sore but never had before when I have been with her. She says she used to get them when she was a kid. Simply put, is she cheating?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Experienced User
Do not acuse your girlfriend of cheating if you don't know for sure. It is possible to get cold sores as a kid.I used to have them all the time when I was little.What proably happened is someone else like an adult like her parents or someone could have had a cold sore and kissed her and then she got it when she was little.Or maybe when she was younger she shared a drink with another kid who had a cold sore and she could of gotten it that way.Sometimes cold sores just show up out of the blue but that doesnt mean she is cheating on you.Cold sores are contagious you can get it from kissing someone who has a cold sore or by simply sharing a drink with someone with a cold sore.
|

replied October 27th, 2007
It can stay in your system for a long time with no symptoms. Do not to strait up accuse her but talk sensibly about it.
|

replied January 19th, 2008
95% of the North American popuation has been exposed to the HSV-1, ie cold sores. That means you most likely also have the same virus in your system. In most people the virus never becomes active, which is why you have never had a cold sore. She is just one of the many that has outbreaks, it doesn't mean anything.
|

replied February 21st, 2008
Hi there,

I dont think that u should accuse ur girlfren of cheating straight away - get her checked out first. u dont want to break up a perfectly good relationship..

season_00
|

replied February 21st, 2008
Re: My Girlfriend Just Got a Cold Sore: Is she cheating?
acerf1f2 wrote:
I've been dating the same girl for 3-4 years now. All of a sudden she got a cold sore but never had before when I have been with her. She says she used to get them when she was a kid. Simply put, is she cheating?

Thanks

I agree... do you know how common it is to have cold sore- or a canker sore? (eating too much cirtris or acid foods) You body does change as you become older... and some people never having cold sores... suddenly get them when they preceed to age-- same with allergies.. etc.

Look up cold sores online or call a doctor's office, and ask to speak to a nurse and ask away-- if you are not certain.

Is that the only reason you think she is cheating...? My verdict: cold sores=not cheating.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...