Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Does Anyone Know of a Non-hormonal Bc, Besides Condoms?

My doctor says I cant be on any kind of hormonal bc. The side effects are to much for my body. Are there any other methods I could try? I know condoms and not having sex at all is a way but what are the others? Is there really an IUD thats not hormonal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yes. There is a non hormonal IUD. There are also spermicides you can use in conjunction with a cervical cap or a diaphragm (both these are recommended for monogamous couples since you can still get stds without using a condom).
|

Extremely eHealthy
never though about that, thank you. Wow there are a few things I can choose from then. I just have to see what works for me.

Do spermicides have hormones in it that could affect my estrogen?
|

Especially eHealthy
I don't believe they do. I am allergic to spermicides. And I cannot use hormones either. Smile

Your doctor will know all your options. Good luck!
|

Extremely eHealthy
The IUD is going to honestly be your best bet.

It is WAY more effective than condoms, and way more effective than spermicides.

It is as effective as having a tubal ligation, but it is reversible.
|

Especially eHealthy
Re: Does Anyone Know of a Non-hormonal Bc, Besides Condoms?
Rosie H wrote:
My doctor says I cant be on any kind of hormonal bc. The side effects are to much for my body. Are there any other methods I could try? I know condoms and not having sex at all is a way but what are the others? Is there really an IUD thats not hormonal?

Check out this post:

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic100896 .html

It lists the most common forms of birth control, both hormonal and non hormonal!
|

replied October 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
thanks so much Eiri.. very cool....
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...