User Profile
Any home remedies for colds?

One of my favorites is thyme tea + hot bath, followed by lying down with my legs up a wall. It's a gentle way to stimulate and clean the lymph nodes. You can also tap lightly on your breastbone (the xiphoid process below where the clavicle bones meet) with your middle finger for a minute. It starts out feeling benign, but in the end it can feel like Chinese water torture. It's a good way to get those white blood cells back into the foray!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2007
Supporter
Rest, rest, rest.

And strengthening the immune system with: raw garlic, vitamin C, echinacea, etc. Plus, I try to stop eating breads to clear out my digestive system, which is often the cause of a cold, in my opinion. A clogged intestine is like a backed up pipe, where viruses can breed.
|

replied March 24th, 2008
Home Remedies for Cold
Home Remedies for Common Cold with Lemon:
Lemon is an example of a fruit that is rich in Vitamin C.
It increases body resistance and reduces the duration of almost all illnesses.

* To use lemon in treating common cold, dilute one lemon in a warm glass of water and add one teaspoon of honey. Drink the mixture once or twice daily.

Treat Common Cold with Garlic:
Garlic contains antiseptic and antispasmodic properties that help reduce the severity of cold.

* Boil three to four cloves of chopped garlic in a cup of water. Garlic in soup form can help flush out toxins and could also keep fever down. The oil in garlic can also aid in opening up blocked respiratory passages.
* Dilute five drops of garlic oil and one teaspoon of onion juice in a cup of water. Drink it two to three times a day for best results.

Natural Treatments for Common Cold with Ginger:
Ginger is one of the best remedies for colds and coughs because of its active health ingredients.

* Cut 10 grams of ginger into small pieces and then boil in a cup of water. Strain it and add half a teaspoon of sugar. Drink it hot twice a day to treat common cold.

Natural Remedy for Common Cold with Bitter Gourd Roots:
Bitter gourd used to be a folk medicine used in treating colds.

* Mix root paste with an equal quantity of honey. Take it every night for a month. This should make your body immune from common colds for quite some time.

Remedy for Common Cold with Tamarind and Pepper:
This home remedy originated in Southern India and is considered very effective for colds.
It is believed that the combination of tamarind and pepper could clear nasal blockages.

* To prepare it, dilute 50 grams of tamarind in 250 ml water. Boil the diluted tamarind with a teaspoon of hot ghee and half teaspoon of black pepper powder over heat for a few minutes. The solution also creates a flushing effect on the cold.
|

replied March 4th, 2011
I love all of these easy health remedies - a lot of them I have never heard of! I just started getting in to holistic healing and I came across this article with some easy at home remedies http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic110766 .html There is really simple and helpful information in there!
|
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...