Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Beggar cut my hand w/fingernail - can I get HIV?

Well recently a drug addicted walked to me and asked me a coin after some minutes of begging I gave it to him , while i was taking the coin from my wallet he forced is hand into my wallet and did a small cut on my hand with his nails (that were kinda big).

He didn't seem to have any cuts on his fingers but he did a small cut on my finger with his nail that bleed for a few seconds. Is there any chances that i'm infected or just some slim chance or really not even possible?

Just worried cause he was a junkie and many of the drug users are HIV positive since they share needles to drug themselfs. Once again I repeat I didn't see any cuts on his hands, tho he did a small cut on my hand that bleed for some time.

Thanks for the help

(sorry for the not so correct english but i'm not from a english country)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 14th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
You are unlikely to have gotten AIDS in that fashion. There needs to be mucous-membrane or direct fluid (such as blood or semen) exchange.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....