Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Colic ? Newborn trouble sleeping at night

Our newborn only seems to have trouble sleeping during the times we try to sleep.(at night) He's 12 days old and has been on a few different formulas. So far its pro sobe enfamil that seems to help him best. During the day he eats just fine and most of the time falls right back to sleep no problem. At bed time for us we, feed and change him as needed, this is where things go bad. He'll start to sleep or even be asleep then he'll get a real sour look on his face, gasp for air(for the loud cry I'm sure) then spit out his binkie.(sometimes we just leave the binkie out) He'll cry aloud for less than 1 minute then start to fall back to sleep. He'll also stretch and kick about some. This will repeat for every 5 to 10 minutes and last for hours. We tried gas drops and belch as much as possible. What is it!!!! Why would he sleep fine doing the day with feedings and such, but at night have problems. He sleeps in the same spot too. please excuse typos it late where I'm at.

Thanks
-crybaby.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2007
Experienced User
well... for one, you shouldn't be changing his formula around so much... my son went from normal formula to soy and it doing perfectly... he sleeps like a rock and only wakes up when he's wet hungry or just wants attention... we've put a pretty good stop to the attention cry by just checking him (and if he's not wet and it's not food time) and ignoring it...occasionally we give in cause he's just too cute lol... but if one of you has a job and the other doesn't you should try scheduling like this:
(this is what we do)

while my S.O. is sleeping i stay up and he helps out occasionally
while my S.O. is working is stay up as much as a possible
and while my S.O. is home i sleep.

we're only keeping this schedule till our son sleeps through the night

hope i helped... ttyl
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2008
Experienced User
Do u try feeding him every two hours(at least)? burping and changing him? Confused
|

replied September 21st, 2008
help to settle baby
usually we try togiveour son a bath at a set time every night followed by a warm bottle and after a little cuddle we put him down at approx 9pm he willthen usually sleep till half 2-3 and then straight through till half six but just before he has his half two feed i try him with a drop of water and it seems to help him settle better after winding him..
but just remind yourself it's not for ever and as this is my third it's good to remember this.
good luck all exhausted mom's and dads
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Re: Colic ? Newborn trouble sleeping at night
Hi, have you tried Wellements Gripe Water? It is a really really good organic product. My baby didn't show any signs of colic or problem sleeping until i stopped breastfeeding her at 2 months old. I used infacol for a while but it gave her nothing but constipation. Then I moved to Hi, have you tried Wellements Gripe Water? It is a really really good organic product. My baby didn't show any signs of colic until i stopped breastfeeding her at 2 months old. I also used to use infacol, Hi, have you tried Wellements Gripe Water? It is a really really good organic product. My baby didn't show any signs of colic until i stopped breastfeeding her at 2 months old. I also used to use infacol, dentinox, colic calm, colief, everything in the market. Then I just wanted something organic, i just didn't want to put anymore chemicals in my baby's 2 months old body. so I bought Wellements and it did wonders. I bought mine from organixbaby.co.uk and i think that is the only place in UK that you can buy it from. give it a try. it is seriously good.
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Another possibility is that your baby may have acid reflux. A good way to find out is to feed your baby in his car seat, allowing him to nap in an upright position for at least 30 minutes after feeding. If the fussiness lessens, then it may very well be acid reflux. I mention this because you said your baby had a sour look on his face then gasped for air. While the gasp could be just a precursor to the inevitable crying and the sour look could just be a sour look, my son exhibited the same symptoms and was put on a special formula and was prescribed prevacid for diagnosed acid reflux. Feeding him in his car seat (don't buckle him in until after feeding him, as you will still need to burp him) and then securing his buckles, allowing him to sleep for 30 minutes after each feeding did help with his symptoms.
If you suspect your baby may have acid reflux or if his colicky symptoms worry you, checking in with the pediatrician is advisable. Gripe water DOES help with colic Smile
|

replied November 24th, 2009
BABY COLIC
PROBIOTICS! PROBIOTICS! PROBIOTICS! AND NO DAIRY!

At 2.5 weeks of age my son started becoming a "colicky" baby. Every night at 9pm on the dot he would start hysterically crying so I knew something was wrong. I tried everything from gripe water to massage... I then cut out all dairy and got him on probiotics. You can get them at any health food store - just make sure you get the powder form that is formulated for infants and children. I would rub a little olive oil on my nipple and then put the powder on there before nursing him every night. It worked like a miracle! I think diary is hard for some babies to digest when they are really young and then the probiotics helps the digestive system function properly. IT REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WORKS!!
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
Colic - innovative idea - the sound of hairdryer?
Can any of you advice me what to do with colic in the infant? I tried medicaments etc, but Chris continued to cry .. I so sorry for him, I can not look at it, and do not want to cram his medication; / Maybe some unconventional ways? I read somewhere that sound of hairdryer helps,has you ever tried this?

I have found a CD with the sound of hairdryer but I don't know if it is good idea..
|

replied July 3rd, 2016
My newborn was super fussy and a sleep-deprived due to severe colic. What worked for us was a natural home product called babies magic tea. I love the product that helped us when nothing was going to soothe our little one.
|

replied August 23rd, 2017
There can be many causes of your baby's colic problem. One is the constant changing of the milk formula. You should consult you pediatrician first before changing formulas. Another is that you may not have burped him as much. Try burping him every time you finish feeding. Also, when you finish feeding him and lie him don the bed, make sure the head part is elevated. If this still continues, go to your pediatrician to see if you baby is suffering from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux diesase)
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2018
Experienced User
Re: Colic ? Newborn trouble sleeping at night
Anitasmum wrote:
Hi, have you tried Wellements Gripe Water? It is a really really good organic product. My baby didn't show any signs of colic or problem sleeping until i stopped breastfeeding her at 2 months old. I used infacol for a while but it gave her nothing but constipation. Then I moved to Hi, have you tried Wellements Gripe Water? It is a really really good organic product. My baby didn't show any signs of colic until i stopped breastfeeding her at 2 months old. I also used to use infacol, Hi, have you tried Wellements Gripe Water? It is a really really good organic product. My baby didn't show any signs of colic until i stopped breastfeeding her at 2 months old. I also used to use infacol, dentinox, colic calm, colief, everything in the market. Then I just wanted something organic, i just didn't want to put anymore chemicals in my baby's 2 months old body. so I bought Wellements and it did wonders. I bought mine from organixbaby.co.uk and i think that is the only place in UK that you can buy it from. give it a try. it is seriously good.

Such an open and detailed reply. Thank you!
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....