Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Clonidine + Fatigue - need blood pressure med that works !

I have been trying to find a blood pressure med that works for several months. I am on number 6. I have tried lisonipril, Benecar hct, benecar, myocardis, diuretics. These have either not worked or the side effects were intolerable. I am now trying clonidine, both for the bp and hot flashes (I cannot tolerate hrt). I take .1 mg in the am and the same in the pm. I have only been on it for a week. Seems to help the bp, but my fatigue level is overwhelming. Will I ever be able to function again...do I build a tolerance to the fatigue?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper skatedog
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
How old are you?
What's your highest value of blood pressure?
Do you have primary or secondary hypertension (hypertension caused by another known disorder)?
|

replied December 29th, 2007
Bp Meds Are Bad
I quit taking blood pressure medication. Every single one has side effects, most notably: fatigue, water retention which results in edema, weight gain, sexual side effects,etc.
I found a really good alternative between taking Apple cider vinegar(ACV) and the natural alternative to pills: Blood Pressurex. I buy it at theherbsplace.com.
There are no side effects, but it does cost a little more than meds. But to me it's worth it, not having all those terrible side effects!
I was taking Metoprolol for a few years after also having tried so many meds before that.
I developed diabetes symptoms from taking it, plus this terrible ugly rash on both legs, i also gained 50 pounds back that i had previously lost, because it lowers the heart rate which lowers metabolism. It took me awhile to figure out what the heck was going on. Then i did extensive research in trying to find a natural alternative.

So now i am fine, my bp is under control, my legs rashes are almost gone, and i am once again losing weight. And i am hardly ever tired. Which is great, because i could never get anything done before when I was sleeping so darn much.
|

replied July 22nd, 2012
are you still having success with the ACV and the product you mentioned? I am desperate to get off these meds. Clonidine, Atenolol, Amlodipine, Hydrachlorathiazide, and Ativan.

I am having the same issues that you had, sleeping all the time and gaining weight. no energy. makes life not worth living.
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Re: Clonidine + Fatigue - need blood pressure med that works !
By now you may have already resolved your problem. However, I have FMD which causes severe high blood pressure. I take Clonidine 2 times a day, and it is killing me. I have been taking it since November and no the fatigue never goes away. I am looking for another alternative and return to my doctor next week. Good luck

petalpusher wrote:
I have been trying to find a blood pressure med that works for several months. I am on number 6. I have tried lisonipril, Benecar hct, benecar, myocardis, diuretics. These have either not worked or the side effects were intolerable. I am now trying clonidine, both for the bp and hot flashes (I cannot tolerate hrt). I take .1 mg in the am and the same in the pm. I have only been on it for a week. Seems to help the bp, but my fatigue level is overwhelming. Will I ever be able to function again...do I build a tolerance to the fatigue?
|

replied February 8th, 2008
Unfortunatley, all medications have side effects. And it seems all the blood pressure lowering drugs make you really tired. I tried clonidine in the past, and i lasted for about 3 days before i said forget it. Each time i took it, i passed out. I'd wake a few hours later feeling disoriented.

I am now not taking any prescribed medications and i feel so much better. I still have high-blood pressure, and i found an herbal supplement formula that works great. I use it in conjunction with another natural product.
The best part of the herbal supplements are no side effects. Cool
|

replied May 8th, 2008
need some help or info on bp medications
Aliante

How did you get off of clonidine or metoprolol. My mom was prescribed these pills and she was having horrible symptoms. I don't think she needs them and we have been having a hard time finding the right doctor to actually listen. They say they want to mask her symptoms instead of actually finding out the problem. "because they can't see the problem." The doctor says her heart function is perfect and her ekg's came out fine. So i asked them why prescribe her heart medication then? They refuse to listen and can't answer questionsWe are looking for alternative ways to lower the blood pressure. She has started walking 5-7 miles every day and is eating very healthy and organic. It has been helping out a lot. She also has diabetes which is controlled

If anyone has information of these medicines or if anyone has had similar situations it would help out.
|

replied May 8th, 2008
Lower BP without meds
Hi Amani,

When I first wanted to go off of my medications, I started taking Raw unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar(ACV)(not the stuff in the salad dressing section.) The one I took was at Bragg.com. Their prices are good and when you order once, they give you a 15% discount all the time.
I order my ACV by the gallon now since my husband also uses it. And I use it for many other things.
When i wake up, i have 1 tablespoon in water with honey. About 6-8 ounces of water. I then have it twice more before bed.
ACV naturally lowers blood pressure by thinning out the blood a little. So if your Mom were taking Coumadin or any other blood thinners, then you dump the Coumadin and take the ACV. ACV has no side effects other than making you feel great. The taste isn't bad, like apple cider taste. And do not store it in the fridge. Shake the bottle each time before pouring some out. If your Mom has aches and pains regularly, the ACV will make them go away. Joints become more flexible and less painful. I know, since I could barely kneel down before taking ACV.

In the beginning of going off the meds, she will first have to add the ACV to her diet, then later start cutting the pills down. You shouldn't stop meds abruptly, but should taper off slowly. And have a backup plan ready to take their place. See the following.

I also found some natural supplements that help in lowering blood pressure. Dandelion root is a natural diuretic. You can buy that in liquid dropper form or capsule form. Either way it works. I take one capsule 3 times a day. I take the liquid with me when I go places so if I have something with too much salt (restaurant food), I can help myself feel better. You just add some to a glass of water and drink it.

There is a really good blood pressure lowering supplement that can be found at theherbsplace.com. Called "Bloodpressurex." It's just herbs and it really works. Take it 3 times a day with meals. It's $20 a bottle, but no side effects and it really works.

Another thing to try since it's good for the heart is CO-Q10. Puritan.com gives you the best deals on this and the dandelion root. Prices are better than in health food stores where they jack up the price too much.

I have a list of web sites that have been helpful to me in finding ways to lower BP, plus mine is under control really well now and no more rotten side effects! If you want to know more, pm me
Take care and good luck! Cool
|
Users who thank Aliante for this post: dominez  happistar 

replied July 22nd, 2012
Sounds as though you have conquered this ugly problem. I truly have never felt so lousy as when I started taking these BP meds and my MD thinks the answer is to keep prescribing the garbage. I have already weaned off one of them and working on the clonidine now. I'm going to try your methods. I just started the ACV yesterday and look forward to miraculous results. I am a type A personality afflicted with OCD on just about everything life has to serve up. I'm looking to decrease my anxiety as well so if you have any suggestions along those lines, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for the great info. If you ever want to talk, you know where to find me.
|

replied November 6th, 2012
Apple cider vinegar
Hi, I've just been diagnosed with high blood pressure and I'm just wondering how your getting on with the ACV ?
|

replied May 9th, 2008
re lower bp without meds
aliante thankyou so much for a great repy!! I will take this information and try it out. I'm glad your doing so much better. Smile hopefully it will work out for us.

btw what do you think about fish peptides. Did you research on that at all?
|

replied May 25th, 2008
Natural means to lower BP/Coumadin info
First off, I do recommend always trying to manage your health naturally. But, it is not "safe" for everyone. Herbal supplements have no regulation on them and do not always have the "same" amount in each tablet. Therefore, you need to be very careful when making suggestions to others about taking the same as yourself. Another thing is: YOU SHOULD NEVER encourage someone to stop taking Coumadin for an HERBAL replacement. It is not feasible as the only way to KNOW how thin or thick your blood is - is by a blood test. You can not use a blood test to regulate an herbal supplement. There are many natural ways to lower some health issues but not all. I encourage you to do the research for yourself. Apple cider vinegar is an awesome natural product and has many health benefits - but it is not necessary to purchase it through a health store - over the counter is cheaper and works the same. I work with a wellness company and use many natural products to manage my entire health and home.
|

replied July 2nd, 2008
High Blood Pressure can be treated and dont need to be w/drugs
The most common disease doctors treat in their office is hypertension. And patients usually anticipate a lifetime of drug therapy. The medical literature is very clear: if we allow hypertension to go untreated, there is a significant increased risk in heart attacks, stroke, congestive heart failure, and kidney failure.

It is simple to understand that any pump or pipe system under higher pressure for a prolonged period of time will not last as long. It is important to note, antihypertensive medications that we physicians prescribe do not cure anyone's high blood pressure. We are merely able to control high blood pressure with our medications. Therefore, as soon as a patient quits the medication his or her blood pressure returns to its original high level. Patients are often left with no other choice but to continue their medications for a lifetime.

In view of all the different side effects of the antihypertensive medications, many of my patients strongly desire to do anything that would allow them to reduce or discontinue their medications. The medical literature has encouraging findings for these people. For example, the JAMA reported a study in March of 1987 that found by simply eating a healthy diet that allowed the patient to lose some weight, reducing salt and alcohol, and increasing their physical activity, 39% of the patients were able to maintain normal blood pressures without drugs. In a clinical trial done by myself and Usana Health Sciences via the Western International Review Board, systolic blood pressure dropped an average of 10 points and diastolic blood pressure dropped an average of 6 points in just 12 weeks. The participants in this clinical trial took the Usana Nutritionals and combine them with the healthy lifestyle changes promoted in the Healthy for Life Program.

Physicians and researchers are beginning to realize that the majority of patients with high blood pressure is the result of an underlying insulin resistance. Healthy lifestyle changes can significantly improve insulin sensitivity and improve their health and blood pressure. This was noted in the above clinical trial and many individuals are improving their blood pressure enough to avoid taking medication. However, it is important to realize that you not only need to be taking nutritional supplementation, but also you need to improve your diet along with having a modest exercise program.

Furthermore, Dr. David McCarron reported a study in June 1984 in Science, Volume 224, that low intake of calcium, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C were all associated with a higher incidence of hypertension. Patients who were treated with oral magnesium supplementation showed a significantly lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Magnesium is now regarded as nature's own calcium-channel blocker.

Clinical studies reveal that vitamin C in supplementation is able to restore nitric oxide activity in hypertensive patients. Dr. Russo reported in the September 1998 issue of the Journal of Hypertension that oxidized-LDL cholesterol also caused injury to the endothelium. He demonstrated that hypertension is associated with greater than normal oxidation of the LDL cholesterol and an imbalance in the anti-oxidant status. His findings suggests that oxidative stress is an important factor in the development of hypertension and that antioxidants taken in supplementation could be beneficial. There have been several studies that have shown that in addition, Coenzyme Q-10 is not only able to lower systolic and diastolic blood pressures but also is able to lower insulin resistance, which decreases glucose and triglycerides.

So when you combine the aggressive nutritional supplement program recommended below along with a healthy diet and modest exercise program you give yourself the absolute best chance to improve your health and blood pressure.

Minimal support for Cellular Nutrition
My minimal recommendation for creating cellular nutrition is to simply take an Antioxidant Tablet and Mineral Tablet that contains as close to the recommended nutrients you can see by clicking on each particular nutrient or tablet. Several nutritional companies are now combining most of these nutrients into one or two different tablets, which makes it much more convenient to get the cellular nutrition that I recommend. The Antioxidant and Mineral Tablets need to offer the cell ALL of the antioxidants, B cofactors, and antioxidant minerals needed by the cell at ideal levels. In order to achieve the best results, in general I recommend taking 2 Antioxidant Tablets and 2 Mineral Tablets in the AM with breakfast and in the PM with your evening meal. Now the exact amount may vary with the particular nutritional company you choose; however, nutritionals should always be taken with food because of better absorption and better tolerance.

Optimal support for Cellular Nutrition
For the most favorable results for basic cellular nutrition, I also recommend adding to the Antioxidant Tablet and Mineral Tablet some additional Calcium/Magnesium Tablets and essential fats. You are able to get additional essential fatty acids from high-quality Flax Seed Oil or pharmaceutical-grade, filtered Fish Oil Capsules. These recommendations provide all the nutrients at their ideal levels creating the cellular nutrition I recommend in my book, What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know About Nutritional Medicine.

Enhancers
It is critical that you know the necessity of adding Enhancers, which contain additional potent antioxidants, to your foundational cellular nutrition for optimal results. Patients who are suffering from a chronic degenerative disease or illness are producing more free radicals and are under more oxidative stress than the average healthy individual. Therefore, adding potent Enhancers to the basic cellular nutrition I recommend offers you the best chance to bring this oxidative stress back under control. The synergy and increased potency created by this approach to nutritional medicine is why I’m able to get such consistent improvement in the health of my patients.

However, in order to suit each individual’s unique financial situation, I always offer both an optimal and a minimal plan for cellular nutrition and for adding Enhancers. Obviously, one’s improvement of their health will be more consistent with the optimal recommendations; however, a minimal regime can still produce significant improvement in your health.
From the desk of Dr Strand
This is Tania Hasib hope this have helped you,
If this mad yes e sense to you and you are ready to research for alternative medicine let me know.
|

replied July 2nd, 2008
Re: Natural means to lower BP/Coumadin info
You are write in almost everything....there is a products in the market(not over the counter) that delivers the exact potency in every tablet, is pharmaceutical level, have potency guaranteed and was made by a scientis that study healthy human cells in a lab and keep them like that for 30 years.
The write doctor will only work on the transition from the drugs treatment to the nutritional treatment, he will only stop (you can be sure he will) the treatment with the drugs when the person is ready.
I've seen it and it happen all the time.
Tania

jnlmaxson wrote:
First off, I do recommend always trying to manage your health naturally. But, it is not "safe" for everyone. Herbal supplements have no regulation on them and do not always have the "same" amount in each tablet. Therefore, you need to be very careful when making suggestions to others about taking the same as yourself. Another thing is: YOU SHOULD NEVER encourage someone to stop taking Coumadin for an HERBAL replacement. It is not feasible as the only way to KNOW how thin or thick your blood is - is by a blood test. You can not use a blood test to regulate an herbal supplement. There are many natural ways to lower some health issues but not all. I encourage you to do the research for yourself. Apple cider vinegar is an awesome natural product and has many health benefits - but it is not necessary to purchase it through a health store - over the counter is cheaper and works the same. I work with a wellness company and use many natural products to manage my entire health and home.
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2010
Taking Clonidine
My blood pressure was 180/110 and I was really sick.
My doctor prescribed the clonidine 10 day dose. I hate it so much! I feel like a dead corpse. I am so glad that I found this site because I am taking everyone's advice. I don't know why that all of a sudden I have high blood pressure, I do not smoke, drink and I eat all organic foods and exercise on and off and I'm only 40.
|

replied February 17th, 2011
high blood pressure
cjdivider My blood pressure is always 225 0ver 110 every moring. This can vary. I take clonidine up to 4 times a day,or as needed.I moniter my pressure 3-4 times a day. Some days it will spike through out the day. 188 over 159, or 145 over 98 sometimes my day time reading will be fairly normal. I have had this since I was 38 years old, I am 63 years old now. I have had strokes and passed out due to blood pressure falling to 119 over 83 which is not real low.(normal).I am on Bystolic also.
|

replied November 17th, 2013
Lowering BP naturally
One cannot forget BP issues are causative from a number of fronts. Aside from oxidative stress and nutritional deficiencies alteration of the autonomic nervous system (dysregulation) plays a huge role in ones ability to self-regulate HR, BP, Digestion, hormonal balance etc. By this I mean emotional turmoil and stress/trauma producing a disruption of autonomic processes. The body-mind is a beautiful, intelligent thing that essentially knows what to do and how to heal. The problem compounds with poor understanding of how things really work. The allopaths are now beginning to understand this via functional medicine and Dr Mark Hymans message and institute.
From a Naturopathic perspective Hypertension is a huge kidney, liver and colon weakness (and malapsorption)and lymphatic congestion issues from acid waste products that needs to be addressed via alkalizing,a very simple concept but not so easy to do as it requires a reprogramming of our cultural food habits and tendencies. Yes the nutritional supplementation will yield results but to go further down the wacky world of keeping ones vitality and wellness at any age one has to go deeper into the spirit-psyche, and cellular weaknesses, There are a multitude of healing modalities that yield BP drops, too many to mention here (except for one)
An upper cervical manipulation will lower BP dramatically when done right A well studied scientific phenomena, this occurring by reflexive impulses (energy)altering the ANS.

Personal empowerment and a proactive approach is key for conquering Hypertension naturally, keep in mind epigenetic (environmental effects on gene exression)factors can be modified 70% with just diet alone, my personal recommendation would be to go raw at least 80%. Difficult for some but extremely effective in ameliorating a host of chronic adult onset diseases
|
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....